Overlooked, Obscure Models Deserving Of A Sprint Run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Re: Overlooked, Obscure Models Deserving Of A Sprint Run?

Post by zuludelta »

I'd be down for the following discontinued designs making comebacks as Sprint runs (or better yet, regular production models):
  • Schempp Rock in Cru-Wear or CPM-3V
  • Schempp Rock Salt in Magnacut
  • Starmate in SPY27
  • Introvert in SPY27
  • Lum Chinese Folder in XHP, K390 , or S110V (or any steel, really—heck, I'd take it in 8Cr13MoV—I just want the design back in circulation ha ha ha)
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

Easy.

Watu: gimme something stainless and even higher in edge retention. Magnacut, S110V or 62-63hrc M390.

And St. Nick’s, if you are listening, lets go big and get an SNK “Chimichanga!” Chokwe. Just how you like ‘em.
losinground

Post by losinground »

I am going to put these 2 models out there as they haven’t been mentioned. JD SMITH and ROOKIE. Would be nice to see either of those in a new steel and a fresh color of G10.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

losinground wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:43 pm
I am going to put these 2 models out there as they haven’t been mentioned. JD SMITH and ROOKIE. Would be nice to see either of those in a new steel and a fresh color of G10.
Both great models to be sure. But I hardly can label either one of these as "obscure". You might make a case for the Rookie because of it's short tenure. But for the time it was in the main line up it sure got a lot of attention from what I remember. And it has accrued a lot of popularity among Spyderco collectors over the years.

I would not object to either model getting a Sprint Run however.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VashHash wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:53 pm
The original C-27 jess horn. Highly unlikely but I'd buy at least 2.
I too would like to see a Sprint Run of the C-27. I cut my teeth on two different stag handled knives when I was a teenager. One being that twin bladed Ka-Bar model that I gave to my nephew.

I doubt if the C-27 ever gets a Sprint Run for a number of reasons. First off I seriously doubt if Spyderco would ever do a trapezoidal opening slot again>> the C-27 was the only model I ever remember with that feature. You could say it was the king of the ATS-34 era. Because it was well loved in that era. It also probably gained more popularity since being discontinued that about any other model I can recall.

Personally I would give a YES vote on it. But I also think it might be cost prohibitive because of the rise in material costs. But if your idea catches fire I'll get on the bandwagon.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Caly Jr
Calypso
Schempp Persian - the smaller one
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Laphroaig9

Post by Laphroaig9 »

Tatanka!!!
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Magnacut Tusk
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

bobnikon wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:34 pm
Magnacut Tusk
YES!

I hate that I didn't buy a Tusk when they were available, and I've been looking for one for a couple years now.

I'm thinking about buying an AG Russell Seamaster 2.0 in the meantime, despite having zero use whatsoever for a boat knife.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

all the ideas on this page are good!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Kopa
Caly 3 & 3.5
Calypso
Temperance 1
Preferably a sprint run with all these knives handles made out of black polished linen micarta on top of steel liners.
:bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bobnikon wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:34 pm
Magnacut Tusk
I think it's fair to say that the TUSK model does qualify as an "Obscure" past Spyderco model for sure. I've not yet ever had one and I most certainly would be in line to snag a Sprint Run if one were ever to become available.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:26 pm
Kopa
Caly 3 & 3.5
Calypso
Temperance 1
Preferably a sprint run with all these knives handles made out of black polished linen micarta on top of steel liners.
I do believe that the TEMP 1 and C-54 Calypso both would qualify as "obscure" models. Both were also originally made in SE & PE both which is always a big selling point for me personally.

I think the original Calypso C-54 model would indeed qualify as an obscure model but most of the other Calypso models all seem to have had a popularity streak at one point.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Ashton wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:28 am
STARMATE

Its been awhile.........
Contoured carbon fiber
ZenL

Post by ZenL »

This thread has some awesome suggestions! In addition to the Starmate, Tusk, Tuff, Tatanka, Kris, Equilibrium, Szabo folder, and FB16-19 Hossom fixies, here are a few more models that I'd like to see...
- A.T.R.
- Titanium (fluted?) Golden-made models (e.g., Native, Military... I believe the maker of the handles for models is defunct, but it would be great to see the factory expansion allow for new titanium capabilities!)
- EuroEdge
- Khukri
- Sage 2 or 4
- Chokwe (a knifecenter wood-scaled Chokwe would be perfect...)
- Double Bevel (another cool terezuola design)
- Gunting (the very first compression lock model!)
- Kiwi (maybe not too obscure... but I missed the boat on these!)
- Lil Matriarch (delica with reverse S blade - absolute package destroyer!)
- Manix 2 backlock
- Ocelot
- "Q" or "S"
- Shabaria
- Embassy
- Maddox

To keep this unintentional Schempp appreciation post going, I would absolutely love a Magnacut Rock Salt. I got to meet Ed Schempp at the 2022 Factory Seconds sale and he said he mentioned such a concept to Sal and Eric, but at the time it didn't seem to have gained traction. The Rock is a highly coveted piece on the secondhand market and after getting one myself, I totally get it. It's an incredibly comfortable knife to hold and use, at least for my larger hands. It would be nice if it was a little bit longer though.

I know many of those models are very unlikely to ever get another run, especially the Gunting, but we can always dream, right?

Side note, after watching the Rock designer insights video I began to appreciate the negative blade angles found in many Spyderco designs, especially Ed's (and the Ayoob).
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m sticking with the JD Smith , and Tatanka . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZenL wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:34 am
This thread has some awesome suggestions! In addition to the Starmate, Tusk, Tuff, Tatanka, Kris, Equilibrium, Szabo folder, and FB16-19 Hossom fixies, here are a few more models that I'd like to see...
- A.T.R.
- Titanium (fluted?) Golden-made models (e.g., Native, Military... I believe the maker of the handles for models is defunct, but it would be great to see the factory expansion allow for new titanium capabilities!)
- EuroEdge
- Khukri
- Sage 2 or 4
- Manix 2 backlock
- Ocelot
- "Q" or "S"
- Shabaria
- Embassy
- Maddox

To keep this unintentional Schempp appreciation post going, I would absolutely love a Magnacut Rock Salt. I got to meet Ed Schempp at the 2022 Factory Seconds sale and he said he mentioned such a concept to Sal and Eric, but at the time it didn't seem to have gained traction. The Rock is a highly coveted piece on the secondhand market and after getting one myself, I totally get it. It's an incredibly comfortable knife to hold and use, at least for my larger hands. It would be nice if it was a little bit longer though.

I know many of those models are very unlikely to ever get another run, especially the Gunting, but we can always dream, right?
You have quite a nice list of suggestions to be sure. Three of them that stand out for me are the GUNTING, CHOKWE and the OCELOT. Not sure what the legality aspect of Spyderco doing that Bram Frank GUNTING model again but a jazzed up version of the GUNTING with some newer/better materials would be quite interesting for sure. A full SE version would make a great collector piece.

I've also said for some time now that if they were to ever do a really new/improved version of the CHOKWE I would be all over it. Especially with a Supersteel blade and maybe one available in full SE. It's so close to the JD Smith model in so many ways which makes me a fan of it.

The OCELOT had some problems the first time around that could be easily corrected. First off those paw prints kept me from wanting to use one as a hunter/folder. Those recesses of the paw prints made it really hard to adequately clean after field dressing an animal. I did like the overall blade design however and would embrace one with a solid handle and a better blade in one of the Supersteels. Again you have an intriguing list!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thought about the Ulize too ! It has never had any special runs and should have one in both SE and PE ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:28 pm
ZenL wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:34 am
- A.T.R.
- EuroEdge
- Khukri
- Sage 2 or 4
- Manix 2 backlock
- Ocelot
- "Q" or "S"
- Shabaria
- Embassy
- Maddox

You have quite a nice list of suggestions to be sure. Three of them that stand out for me are the GUNTING, CHOKWE and the OCELOT. Not sure what the legality aspect of Spyderco doing that Bram Frank GUNTING model again but a jazzed up version of the GUNTING with some newer/better materials would be quite interesting for sure. A full SE version would make a great collector piece.

I've also said for some time now that if they were to ever do a really new/improved version of the CHOKWE I would be all over it. Especially with a Supersteel blade and maybe one available in full SE. It's so close to the JD Smith model in so many ways which makes me a fan of it.

The OCELOT had some problems the first time around that could be easily corrected. First off those paw prints kept me from wanting to use one as a hunter/folder. Those recesses of the paw prints made it really hard to adequately clean after field dressing an animal. I did like the overall blade design however and would embrace one with a solid handle and a better blade in one of the Supersteels. Again you have an intriguing list!
There was a falling out between Bram Frank and Spyderco, as well as Tim Wegner and Spyderco. As such, I do not believe we will ever see another Spyderco from either of them.

The Gunting is a huge part of Spyderco’s history; It’s the model that Sal first designed the compression lock for. In my opinion, the design is quite dated and would be a difficult sell it todays market anyway.

In regards to the Ocelot, if I recall correctly, Spyderco gave all of the rights to his designs back to Tim Wegner himself, so the chances of another Ocelot are essentially none. I do love that design though and it’s one that I eventually need to add to my own collection.

Lastly, I fully agree with ZenL that a KnifeCenter Pakkawood exclusive Chokwe would be a hit! Even a Watu in that configuration would be a good choice, in my opinion.
-Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I could lust for a Chokwe with a Pakkawood scale on the presentation side and a steel-insert on the titanium lockbar. I’d want the insert run at the same hardness as the blade-steel to retard galling.

The slicy Chokwe should have a fine-grain blade-steel to permit a bevel and apex even slicier, and have this steel run at about 62HRC to preserve some toughness and to offer improved edge-holding. Either a stainless AEB-L or a tool 52100?

I’d also go for an SE Catcherman in MagnaCut but only with a removable pocket-clip. I suppose a new mold would be required; best not to hold my breath.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”