Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
capt.carl

Re: Subvert Sprint CF/20CV!

Post by capt.carl »

It comes in a pouch
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

TheGiant80 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:35 pm
Did the knife come with that pouch? I was planning on buying one, but if it’s part of the bundle then great!
Yeah, which kind of surprised me since the original came in a regular box.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Thanks for all the photos Giygas, just saw the Byte as well! Mine should be here tonight, I swear I’m the last UPS stop, and I can’t wait!

That Momba! One of the ones that got away from me.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

Still in stock at several places. Cool knife but that price..
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Well, I swore not to get one, but only to myself, so now I have one coming.

I hope I don’t come to regret the added complexity of ball-bearings.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Philo Beddoe wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:42 pm
Still in stock at several places. Cool knife but that price..
The way I justify the price to myself; I see carbon fibre and 20CV as a decent step up from G10 and S30V, and the cost differential reflects that without being overkill. It’s more expensive than the standard variant but not ridiculously so.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Giygas wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:45 pm
TheGiant80 wrote:
Did the knife come with that pouch? I was planning on buying one, but if it’s part of the bundle then great!
Yeah, which kind of surprised me since the original came in a regular box.
That’s great news. Cheers!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Absolutely Stunning!!!

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:48 pm
Absolutely Stunning!!!

Every photo I've seen of the sprint appeared to have a darker, almost stonewash finish to the blade. This side-by-side shot (thank you for doing this Dazen) shows that's not really the case. Are my eyes messing with me or what?

I mean, look here: https://www.spyderco.com/?s=subvert
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I know what you mean, but nope, it’s satin as satin can be!

I’ll add one thing, this knife is so perfect I might have to buy another one as a safe queen because it’s going to be hard to keep this out of my pocket every day!
Dane

TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:28 pm
I’ll add one thing, this knife is so perfect I might have to buy another one as a safe queen because it’s going to be hard to keep this out of my pocket every day!
Well that's a pretty positive review. Haha! If I didn't want one before, I sure do now!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Dazen wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:28 pm
I know what you mean, but nope, it’s satin as satin can be!

I can’t tell anyone what gives them satisfaction and what to do with their stuff. I believe this was meant to be carried and used. It’s the wear and tear that tells the story and gives a knife its soul. Would you want your grandfathers Rolex if he never wore it? The answer is yes, but you won’t feel the same connection as if he wore it on the regular. All my knives and watches and guns etcetera will be passed on, not as collectors items but a connection to the past and a loved one. I can see the joy of having a pristine example of a knife but that’s kinda like being married to a gorgeous woman and not doing the horizontal Cha Cha on the regular. Oh, PS I seem to mod a lot of my knives and I know that drastically cuts the collectors value but I can’t help myself :winking-tongue. I do have such a perfect specimen of the 204P shaman that I have only carried it and fidgeted with it but I do have a few other shamans that get use so I am partially guilty of this too I guess
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Oh I’m right there with you! I use all my knives and often daily carry my most expensive Spyderco’s like my Paysan, Drunken and now CF Subvert. I just love this version of the Subvert so much that I might buy another as a backup, or investment, because once everyone realizes how special this one is they will be gone. I see you ordered one as well and curious if you’ll have the same impression as me!
Dane

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:25 am
Oh I’m right there with you! I use all my knives and often daily carry my most expensive Spyderco’s like my Paysan, Drunken and now CF Subvert. I just love this version of the Subvert so much that I might buy another as a backup, or investment, because once everyone realizes how special this one is they will be gone. I see you ordered one as well and curious if you’ll have the same impression as me!
It makes sense to have multiples of something in case you lose it etcetera. Like the shoes or pants that fit you perfectly that you wish you bought more of.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

I don't know. If at least it came with a blade finish a little more elaborate (like the Slysz Bowie or the mentioned Drunken)...

At this price point the plain belt satin is a bit underwhelming IMHO... :neutral
notorious fidgeteer
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

eventhorizon wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:22 am
I don't know. If at least it came with a blade finish a little more elaborate (like the Slysz Bowie or the mentioned Drunken)...

At this price point the plain belt satin is a bit underwhelming IMHO... :neutral
My only "complaint" relates to the blade finish. It looks like they ground the bevels after finishing the flats:

It's not an issue to me whatsoever, but I could see it being one to some people.
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

That doesn't look good at all on such an expensive knife... or even a $50 knife for that matter.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

RamZar wrote:
Article on the Subvert in Spyderco byte - June 2023.
Reading that article, it makes this knife seem like a great bargain.

My REC brown Cerakote version arrived yesterday and I've been messing with it during all waking hours since. It's a monster but I really believe I'll find practical uses for it. It's interesting that you can flick it open because of the bearings and heavy blade, using gravity, yet it still clicks closed safely. I kind of love this knife and look forward to hearing more reviews of the carbon fiber sprint you guys are waiting for.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Giygas wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:16 am
eventhorizon wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:22 am

My only "complaint" relates to the blade finish. It looks like they ground the bevels after finishing the flats:

It's not an issue to me whatsoever, but I could see it being one to some people.
Was that done exclusively on the Sprint? Mine (production version) is horizontal on the bevels and vertical on the flats, just like the two others I have out - Schempp Bowie and Advocate.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

The direction of the grind lines are the same as on the original Subvert and the Advocate, vertical on the bevels and horizontal on the flats.
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels