Custom MagnaCut Mule Handles

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
WilliamMunny

Custom MagnaCut Mule Handles

Post by WilliamMunny »

I recently had time to finish wood scales for my two MagnaCut Mules. One is figured maple with black G10 and the other is Walnut with white G10. I plan to give them to my boys when they are a bit older. See below for some of the steps I took to make these.
IMG_4632.jpeg
First step was to cut the wood to size, I like to go with about 3/8” thick as you always can take wood away. I then sent them off to K&G for stabilization.
IMG_4628.jpeg
Next few steps are to epoxy the G10 to the wood scales, drill your holes and cut the rough shape. I like to use G10 for both the look and to add some strength to the wood.
IMG_4629.jpeg
IMG_4630.jpeg
IMG_4631.jpeg
Once you epoxy the scales to the Mule it is just a lot of sanding. A belt/disc bench top sander is a huge help to rough shape you handles. I also use my small drills press as a make shift orbital sander for the tighter radius on the grip. From there is it just hours of sanding, my grit progression is 100, 150, 220, 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 and finally a buffing wheel with blue compound.
IMG_2023-5-20-214020.jpeg
They came out great, my boys like them, just not sure which one I like better… knives that is. Being MagnaCut the blades will never rust and should last forever. Thanks Spyderco for the opportunity to be part of the Mule program.
IMG_4633.jpeg
IMG_4634.jpeg
IMG_4635.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Bolster

Re: Custom MagnaCut Mule Handles

Post by Bolster »

I think they are beautiful, and appreciate the method explanation.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

Well done, also a fan of the natural wood look & feel.
... rule #9 ...
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

bob-atlatl wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:42 am
Well done, also a fan of the natural wood look & feel.
That is something I forgot to mention, there is no finish on these, just sand paper and a buffing wheel to get the shine.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Beautiful work. 👍🏻
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:37 am
That is something I forgot to mention, there is no finish on these, just sand paper and a buffing wheel to get the shine.

That's remarkable. I didn't know you could get that sort of finish with a buffing wheel on wood. Wow.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:29 pm
WilliamMunny wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 8:37 am

That's remarkable. I didn't know you could get that sort of finish with a buffing wheel on wood. Wow.
All of my Mule handles are only finished with a buffing wheel on my drill press !
But I use stabilized wood most of the time, might help.

Beautiful shine indeed, i did only buff some Ziricote recently and it took an excellent shine too!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I think you start to get a shine at around 1500 grit and it goes up from there. I just use my hand-held drill to buff, works pretty well. I do use my drill press for some of the rough sanding it tight spots.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 7:16 am
I think you start to get a shine at around 1500 grit and it goes up from there. I just use my hand-held drill to buff, works pretty well. I do use my drill press for some of the rough sanding it tight spots.
I even bought a small machine that could be use as a buffer (400W), but still use my buffing adaptater made for hand-held drills, i just know it so well now :winking-tongue .
Yes, depending on the wood you already get a really good look after 1500. I go up to 2500 or 3000 on natural woods and on stabilized woods I feel like going higher sometimes brings rewards. It's really hard to see a difference on some so I started stopping at 3000 or 5000 but I used to go to 10.000 every time (which are difficults grits to find good quality sandpaper in)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

swknight

Post by swknight »

Beautifully DONE! I can IMAGINE those handles on lots of my tools that go "BANG!"

Thank YOU for sharing your expertise!

SWK
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Thanks guys, I think to up my game the next step will be to stabilize my own scales. That way I can add colors into the wood and get more experimental with "glue ups" then stabilizing. Just not sure I want to put the money out for a home setup, kind of a one trick pony and wont see much return unless I start selling them.

K&G is great but shipping $10-$15 bucks each way plus stabilizing adds up unless you send them a bunch of handles.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:23 am
Thanks guys, I think to up my game the next step will be to stabilize my own scales. That way I can add colors into the wood and get more experimental with "glue ups" then stabilizing. Just not sure I want to put the money out for a home setup, kind of a one trick pony and wont see much return unless I start selling them.

K&G is great but shipping $10-$15 bucks each way plus stabilizing adds up unless you send them a bunch of handles.
I've seen people make their own stabilizing equipment from kitchen stuff and a bit of tooling. I'm still working on making a portable steel saw into a vertical bandsaw (will share pictures in this sub-forum when it'll be done), but was thinking about giving a try at making a vacuum chamber for stabilizing after that.

WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:24 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:23 am

I've seen people make their own stabilizing equipment from kitchen stuff and a bit of tooling. I'm still working on making a portable steel saw into a vertical bandsaw (will share pictures in this sub-forum when it'll be done), but was thinking about giving a try at making a vacuum chamber for stabilizing after that.
Good luck with the bandsaw conversion. Your biggest challenge will be getting a table to sit correctly on it. Worst case sell it and put the money towards a used band saw. There are deals out there, I am trying to upgrade my 9" to a 10" without breaking the bank. The 9" just wont resaw well enough to make knife scales.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:06 pm

Good luck with the bandsaw conversion. Your biggest challenge will be getting a table to sit correctly on it. Worst case sell it and put the money towards a used band saw. There are deals out there, I am trying to upgrade my 9" to a 10" without breaking the bank. The 9" just wont resaw well enough to make knife scales.
Thanks ! I have a bandsaw but it's made for wood. The new one will be destined for stock removal knives. I already bought the table, stuff to make the legs and feet you can set just to be sure everything is good and stable. I got a 1/4" (well, 5mm in reality) 50x50cm steel plaque and it fits perfectly into a slot in the protable metal saw. I just have a lot of soldering to do and some holes in that plaque :open-grin

There's this french knife maker, he makes a lot of video tutorials for stuff like that. And he's pretty crafty !

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Those look fantastic William!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Dig it!

Love the wood.
Worm

Post by Worm »

Very nice work.
I need to get a drill bench and a small belt grinder to up my custom handle game.
Here are my modified halpern 3D G10 scales with four holes: resulting in 4 g of weight saving :zany

For anybody who is a weight freak like me:
halpern flat G10: 37 g
halpern 3D micarta: 41 g
halpern 3D G10: 59 g (I do find these too heavy and prefer the others)
Attachments
20230322_163347.jpg