St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jwbnyc

Re: St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Post by jwbnyc »

They are both very hard coatings. TiCN has been tested as equivalent to 88 HRC, DLC at 72 HRC. I have no preference between the two. I do prefer the bronze coloring that Seki uses for the blade markings.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:17 pm
The St Nick's Knives Exclusive Goddard Lightweight CPM-4V Black TiCN Blade & Red FRN goes on sale on Friday, June 30, 2023 at 12:00pm Central Time for $125. Approximately 1200 Knives Available.

https://www.stnicksknives.com/products/ ... -c16fprdbk

The more I look at it, the more I like that knife - especially the neutral, roomy, to me not outdated at all but actually very "modern" handle.

Actually tempted to get one, despite there is no SE option.
"Fortunately" when it goes on sale I'll be in the mountains for several days with little/ just occasional internet service anyway, so I don't have to torture myself with trying to decide if I should pull the trigger ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:16 pm
The more I look at it, the more I like that knife - especially the neutral, roomy, to me not outdated at all but actually very "modern" handle.

"Fortunately" when it goes on sale I'll be in the mountains for several days with little/ just occasional internet service anyway, so I don't have to torture myself with trying to decide if I should pull the trigger ;)
Unfortunately, I will have finished my work for 2 hours and will likely be in front on my computer when the drops occurs ! I'm so unlucky... I'm sure this will force me to buy one !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:12 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:19 pm
JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:01 pm
HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:38 pm
I just want to say one thing: "I love you, man". (I rubbed a little BK Friend on with my finger, and the can residue came right off).
Nice! Golden DLC is great stuff, and that is coming from a stainless fan. I have more scratches on my stainless blades than I do my DLC blades.

Now the TiCN I would imagine is not as durable, but I don't have any and can't speak from experience.
Correct Jeff , TiCN will not hold up as well . I still like leaves good memories as LB would say . MG2
I thought the same about TiCN. I have a couple blades with it and they've actually held up better than expected. They get the typical marks on them like DLC and I've cleaned them Flitz (like I do DLC) and they clean up just fine
I did not know the difference between the two coatings, so thanks to you guys for making me do more googling. When I stuck my knife in that beer can and ripped a cut in it, I was stunned that it came out the way it did - never crossed my mind that the light grey stuff could be can residue on the blade.

Thanks to this blade coating discussion, I will probably buy TWO of these and gift one to my bro. I love the red/black color combo and most everything else about the knife design - just a touch behind the Siren, but I think that's mainly a 'hand design' thing. I'd be all over a Siren in the same colors.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I like that it's a retro model that was gone before I found Spyderco. I have a micarta Goddard Jr and a Baby Goddard. The Jr is too stiff and I've never really carried it. Guess I need to figure that one out. The full-size Goddard LW will get carried and used
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

That’s a really cool pattern! I know the name Goddard with respect to pocket knives, but I think this is the first time I’ve seen that knife. The size is right in my wheelhouse too. If only it wasn’t a disaster getting blades over the border to my frozen northern tundra home.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:16 pm

Unfortunately, I will have finished my work for 2 hours and will likely be in front on my computer when the drops occurs ! I'm so unlucky... I'm sure this will force me to buy one !

I am actually getting really envious of your bad fortune... ;) - whish I had the chance to get "unlucky" too, despite they don´t offer an SE version... :sad-but-relieved

This looks to be such a cool knife - light, slim, great handle, and I do love tool steels (I´d probably try and remove the coating if I had the chance to score one of these Goddards - cause one part of loving tool steels is the way they "patina").
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wartstein, you could always share US-Europe shipping expenses with Ramonade 😉
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I hope that this being a larger knife and a somewhat dated style that it will be easy to snag. After some thought this is absolutely my style. The only thing I don’t like is the coated blade but I’m learning to live with that.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Is the spine rounded like the older models (from what I've seen on youtube) are?
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

St Nick's posted some nice comparison photos...

•• Beau
z1r

Post by z1r »

Nice, those pics help. Created my account yesterday. Looking forward to this one. Thanks again for the pics!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

That's a fair amount of edge !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I hadn't really been planning on getting this one, but after reading a ton of nearly 20 year old threads, I'm kinda excited for it now.

It looks like it'll serve the same purposes that my M4 Bailout currently does.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Lord knows I have enough spyderco FRN backlock but this knife looks amazing...
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Good looking piece. I might like the opportunity to try if there are possible future plans for a different configuration. Good luck to those in this race!
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

This will not be available on Spyderco.com. But for anybody jonzing for the same info presented in a slightly different way, the listing is here.
:beaming-face
•• Beau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

May be a tough decision for me tomorrow. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:35 pm
Me too 🤔
z1r

Post by z1r »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:27 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:35 pm
Me too 🤔
We need more people to feel this way, so I can be sure to get one! :winking-tongue

Seriously, who would want one? Totally outdated, look at that clip!