Mule Team for a Fixed Knife Newbie?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Erion929

Mule Team for a Fixed Knife Newbie?

Post by Erion929 »

Hey guys….folder-knife only enthusiast here, stumbling upon “mules”. I was thinking of picking up a 1st fixed knife for general garage/outdoor use, saw this forum, and wondered “Why not get one with an exotic, high-performance steel?”

Are there reasons NOT TO? Are these “knifemaker-only” intentioned and out of my league? Or is this a great way to start with fixed blades?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Bolster

Re: Mule Team for a Fixed Knife Newbie?

Post by Bolster »

No conceivable reasons not to get a mule, IMO. This isn't really "knifemaking." The knife is already made; all you have to do is haft it and sheathe it. Easy to assemble by merely purchasing the scales and sheath offered by Spyderco, or from any number of other sources. Making your own scales of wood can be a modest woodworking project, but not difficult if you have a few basic woodworking tools (which would also work for micarta and other materials--see for example: https://www.knifekits.com/vcom/knife-ma ... -c-40.html).
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Erion929 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:06 am
I was thinking of picking up a 1st fixed knife for general garage/outdoor use, saw this forum, and wondered “Why not get one with an exotic, high-performance steel?”

Sounds like a great idea. First, you don't need to be a knife maker. Many people just buy off-the-shelf scales, screw them on, and live happily ever after. If you're already set up to do general-purpose work in your garage, you might be able to knock out some scales without much difficulty. It's not rocket science... or more precisely, it doesn't HAVE to be rocket science. It can be if you want it to be.

I was in the same boat as you. I was "fixed blade curious," so I bagged my first Mule. I quickly found that I DO NOT like carrying a fixed blade knife. It's just not for me. That Mule ended up in the kitchen, and it's now my favorite short-blade knife for culinary work.

Another Mule dropped. I was curious about that steel, but I also learned some things from my first Mule experiment, and wanted to try out new ideas. You'd think I'd be done with the whole concept by now, but I've seen the great work that others do, and I want to copy some of their ideas. I'll probably bag a T15 Mule on Tuesday.

To summarize, just get the Mule. If you don't, you'll you'll always be questioning yourself.

Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Thanks for the info, guys!

If I wrap a mule with Paracord, can the Boltaron Kydex sheath be adapted (with heat) to fit? :thinking

Or must get the leather sheath?

Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I don't like to carry a fixed blade either, but I'm still getting one once I decide which steel...
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Erion929 wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:02 am

If I wrap a mule with Paracord, can the Boltaron Kydex sheath be adapted (with heat) to fit? :thinking

Just buy the Mule, scales and Boltron sheath (make it a package)

Paracord will not give you a true enjoyment in my opinion. Mules are a good thick blade that takes a good punishment.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:08 am
Erion929 wrote:

Paracord will not give you a true enjoyment in my opinion. Mules are a good thick blade that takes a good punishment.
My opinion is different. I've been using paracord wrapped Mules for work and play since MT01 came out. It works fine for me.
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:56 pm
standy99 wrote:
Erion929 wrote:

My opinion is different. I've been using paracord wrapped Mules for work and play since MT01 came out. It works fine for me.

What kind of sheath do you use? Can I heat and adapt a Kydex….or just go leather?

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've made and used a couple of different leather sheaths, but I'm currently using a Kydex sheath that I made in a couple of hours one evening.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Doing Kydex right requires some trial and error, and has a learning curve, in my experience. If you want an easy intro, just go with a Spyderco sheath. If you want to learn a skill, then yeah, make your own Kydex sheath. See Xplorer's how to for step by step instructions in this subforum.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:27 am
Doing Kydex right requires some trial and error, and has a learning curve, in my experience. If you want an easy intro, just go with a Spyderco sheath. If you want to learn a skill, then yeah, make your own Kydex sheath. See Xplorer's how to for step by step instructions in this subforum.

Yeah, I’ll probably just go with the Boltaron from factory….keep it simple, lol
standy99

Post by standy99 »

yablanowitz wrote:
standy99 wrote:
Erion929 wrote:

You’re a different beast buddy :fist-bump . You would make do with a shoelace :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Could always just go on preference of grip to flip the coin of choice; if you prefer a knife with a full(er) handle grip and that's worth an additional $54, go G-10 scales, or if you like slimline (in this case extremely thin) scales, get a bundle of paracord for cheap and do a wrap yourself.

If you aren't going with the G-10 scales, I would advise in opting out of the Boltaron sheath, as it seems to be made to fit (snuggly, at least) with those G-10 scales affixed; otherwise you'd be back to your same conundrum on modifying the fit. Just my 2 pennies.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:55 am
yablanowitz wrote:
standy99 wrote:
Erion929 wrote:

You’re a different beast buddy :fist-bump . You would make do with a shoelace :winking-tongue
MT01 had smaller holes, I couldn't get two full cords through them, so I ended up pulling the core strands out and using just the outer shell to wrap the handle. So yeah, basically a shoelace. :winking-tongue
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:12 pm
standy99 wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
standy99 wrote:

MT01 had smaller holes, I couldn't get two full cords through them, so I ended up pulling the core strands out and using just the outer shell to wrap the handle. So yeah, basically a shoelace. :winking-tongue
I did the AEB-L mule handle with a 2 cord simple western pattern paracord wrap. I found that the paracord wrap gave me a better feel and control for whittling.

I think 💭 paracord wraps can be better depending on what your intended use is for any given mule. The ones I use in the kitchen I put scales on them. If the mule is stainless and the metal reviews suggest it will make a good tough knife or that it will hold a great edge I can pick and choose to do scales or paracord. If the metal is not stainless I’m going to use frog 🐸 lube and scales to protect from rusting.

For paracord and carbon steel knives I’d get the leather sheath. For carbon steel I oil the inside of the sheath lightly to help prevent rusting. It seems to work and I’ve had no rusting issues. For anything stainless kydex is a great choice if you go with scales bought or homemade.

In the end it depends on what you prefer and how you’re going to use the knife 🔪. Right now I’m learning how to make my own scales. Which I never thought I’d do, it’s an anxiety thing. I guess I’m saying the best part is you get to decide and have fun learning in the process.
Last edited by VandymanG on Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

VandymanG wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:45 pm
I’m learning how to make my own scales which I never thought I’d do, it’s an anxiety thing. I guess I’m saying the best part is you get to decide and have fun learning in the process.

Right? If it's not fun, I'm not going to do it. And when the learning stops, it soon becomes monotonous, and I'll stop doing it. Reading this forum has shown me that there are plenty of craftsmen who do much prettier work than my own Plain Jane scales. That's why I ordered a Mule today, so I can try out new ideas and maybe learn a thing or two.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Erion929 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:06 am
Hey guys….folder-knife only enthusiast here, stumbling upon “mules”. I was thinking of picking up a 1st fixed knife for general garage/outdoor use, saw this forum, and wondered “Why not get one with an exotic, high-performance steel?”

Are there reasons NOT TO? Are these “knifemaker-only” intentioned and out of my league? Or is this a great way to start with fixed blades?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Pocket knives were originally designed to simulate a fixed blade, but in a more convenient form (for the pocket), so getting into fixed blades is a great idea and you'll love them. There was even a guy who turned a mule into a pocket knife (find the thread - it's very interesting). Being a fixed blade guy with all the designs I needed, I only looked to my first mule to provide an intro to new steels, and to have fun creating scales. But...it's actually a great design for a fixed blade knife, and also a great value. I think it is a great first fixed blade for anyone.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

VandymanG wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:45 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:12 pm
standy99 wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

I did the AEB-L mule handle with a 2 cord simple western pattern paracord wrap. I found that the paracord wrap gave me a better feel and control for whittling.

I think 💭 paracord wraps can be better depending on what your intended use is for any given mule. The ones I use in the kitchen I put scales on them. If the mule is stainless and the metal reviews suggest it will make a good tough knife or that it will hold a great edge I can pick and choose to do scales or paracord. If the metal is not stainless I’m going to use frog 🐸 lube and scales to protect from rusting.

For paracord and carbon steel knives I’d get the leather sheath. For carbon steel I oil the inside of the sheath lightly to help prevent rusting. It seems to work and I’ve had no rusting issues. For anything stainless kydex is a great choice if you go with scales bought or homemade.

In the end it depends on what you prefer and how you’re going to use the knife 🔪. Right now I’m learning how to make my own scales. Which I never thought I’d do, it’s an anxiety thing. I guess I’m saying the best part is you get to decide and have fun learning in the process.
Took down my G-10 scales after doing a heavy reprofile on my AEB-L MULE, only to be surprised at just how much rust had developed under the scales.

Just some food for thought, you may want to treat, or periodically check under the cordage/scales of your stainless MULES, as well. I'm now treating everything before scales affix. FWIW, I live in a mostly dry, more desert like climate.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.