MT34P – CPM REX T15 Mule Team Dropping Soon!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

Re: MT34P – CPM REX T15 Mule Team Dropping Soon!

Post by Bolster »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:26 am
We have 770 Mule Team CPM REX T15(s) in our inventory. You may only order 770.

I'm glad you got inventory at two points, this allows some "creative calculation." If selling at a constant rate of 4 per minute for the first 30 minutes (I realize that's a big if, with more happening at the top of the hour), and if Spyderco started selling at 3 minutes early, this might indicate that the run of T15 was around 900. If anything 900 would be an underestimate, given the number that must sell during the first minute.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:43 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:26 am
We have 770 Mule Team CPM REX T15(s) in our inventory. You may only order 770.

I'm glad you got inventory at two points, this allows some "creative calculation." If selling at a constant rate of 4 per minute for the first 30 minutes (I realize that's a big if, with more happening at the top of the hour), and if Spyderco started selling at 3 minutes early, this might indicate that the run of T15 was around 900. If anything 900 would be an underestimate, given the number that must sell during the first minute.
You could be right, I've seen your witchcraft before :winking-tongue
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Hi, today has been the fastest purchase since I can remember. In three minutes, the operation was concluded. Now to wait to receive the shipment, wich may be ahead of the MT39, held at customs at today. Good job Spyderco!
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

elmeringalo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:25 am
Hi, today has been the fastest purchase since I can remember. In three minutes, the operation was concluded. Now to wait to receive the shipment, wich may be ahead of the MT39, held at customs at today. Good job Spyderco!
Good to see you Elmer, hope you share your awesome work on these new mules and some nice sheaths!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Enjoying my coffee, I forgot about the drop. Logged on here to see what Spyderco insights had been made overnight, discovered I had missed the drop, and leisurely ordered two Mules. Wish FOMO purchases on the internet were always this smooth.
elmeringalo

Post by elmeringalo »

Thank you very much legOFwhat, I've been busy but I'm preparing a few with their covers. When I finish them I will show them here. Best regards
No por mucho tempranar, amanece mas madrugo
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:33 am
Enjoying my coffee, I forgot about the drop. Logged on here to see what Spyderco insights had been made overnight, discovered I had missed the drop, and leisurely ordered two Mules. Wish FOMO purchases on the internet were always this smooth.
It’s more than “fomo”. It’s flipper deterrent.

When the incentive to flipping a scarce product is removed, there’s not much value to those who buy these things for a quick buck.

I’m happy to see that inventory has found an adequate level to support mules going forward and allow interested buyers to get in on a purchase without being frustrated by shyster flippers buying everything up for $60 on eBay.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:46 am
HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:33 am
It’s more than “fomo”. It’s flipper deterrent.

When the incentive to flipping a scarce product is removed, there’s not much value to those who buy these things for a quick buck.

I’m happy to see that inventory has found an adequate level to support mules going forward and allow interested buyers to get in on a purchase without being frustrated by shyster flippers buying everything up for $60 on eBay.
I think most people jump on the computer at 'drop time' to make sure they get a knife (FOMO), but if that deters flippers, it's even better.

But yeah, all that stuff you said makes me happy as well.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Rinzler wrote:
flipper deterrent.

those who buy these things for a quick buck.

shyster flippers

It sounds as if you're very angry about people who put in extra effort and make a few bucks off of those who would choose to sleep in. Have you always hated Capitalism, or is this a more recent development?

Were you able to buy the knife that you wanted today? If not, I might be willing to part with mine. But it won't be cheap.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

RustyIron wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:53 pm
Rinzler wrote:
flipper deterrent.

shyster flippers

It sounds as if you're very angry about people who put in extra effort and make a few bucks off of those who would choose to sleep in. Have you always hated Capitalism, or is this a more recent development?

Were you able to buy the knife that you wanted today? If not, I might be willing to part with mine. But it won't be cheap.
I'm not sure why these sprint/limited runs always end up in this same circus sh*tshow.

How bout we p*ss on these embers, before we catch fire here? Keep the discussion on the T15 MULE.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:18 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Rinzler wrote:
flipper deterrent.

shyster flippers

I'm not sure why these sprint/limited runs always end up in this same circus sh*tshow.

How bout we p*ss on these embers, before we catch fire here? Keep the discussion on the T15 MULE.
I'm a new guy and I realize that my opinion rights are reduced :); however, I've been a heavy participant in many collectibles forums over the last 25 years, and this isn't even close to a circus sh*tshow. Missing limited availability purchase opportunities because of people who sit on their computers all day as part of their business, has always been there and always will be. Expressing frustration over such things has also always been there. I see no problem with any of it.

But...it WAS great this morning to see that anyone who really wanted one of these had plenty of opportunity. Also sort of great was seeing a few show up on ebay at $150, knowing that only the most limited in brain capacity would bite, so the flippers better learn how to carve scales and cut things. These knives always eventually show up in forums at reasonable prices for those who missed out.

(having a hard time anticipating how anyone might get angry for my posting the above, but if you do ... I apologize)
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I wasn't very interested in most of the Mule offerings but REX 76 and this T15 both got me excited to try out. I appreciate how easy it was to order one this morning.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:30 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:18 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Rinzler wrote:
flipper deterrent.

shyster flippers

I'm a new guy and I realize that my opinion rights are reduced :); however, I've been a heavy participant in many collectibles forums over the last 25 years, and this isn't even close to a circus sh*tshow. Missing limited availability purchase opportunities because of people who sit on their computers all day as part of their business, has always been there and always will be. Expressing frustration over such things has also always been there. I see no problem with any of it.

But...it WAS great this morning to see that anyone who really wanted one of these had plenty of opportunity. Also sort of great was seeing a few show up on ebay at $150, knowing that only the most limited in brain capacity would bite, so the flippers better learn how to carve scales and cut things. These knives always eventually show up in forums at reasonable prices for those who missed out.

(having a hard time anticipating how anyone might get angry for my posting the above, but if you do ... I apologize)
You're free and welcomed to express your opinions irregardless of "stature" within the forums. I don't see the length of time registered as being a factor in approval, or disapproval, nor credibility standard check-point of your opinions. If it is, this may not be a forum worth participating in. Everyone can bring greatness to the whole.

Perhaps I should have expressed it as "Groundhog's Day". The same fervent "flipper hatred" debate goes into effect on every sprint/limited production thread, at some point. To me, that derails the entire point and becomes a sh*tshow. If one does not interject, many will start to feed into this and it will become a political/personal ideological war zone. The forums here seem to be more courteous than most, however, taunting and egging-on is ridiculous. I get tired of reading so many back and forth personal squabbles, before finding one or two bits of solid info on a subject at hand. Keep the BS to off-topic if you want to have it out, boys.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:44 pm
Keep the BS to off-topic if you want to have it out, boys.
Yes sir.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

^
(sorry for being a wise-guy)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

It looks like 1100 were produced which means everyone who wants one can get one and they’ll be around for a while unlike 15V & MagnaCut.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well it all went very nicely. I was able to order 2 and even at 8:05 the website was snappy.

I just worry that this might mean that interest was low and Spyderco will be annoyed at having mule team inventory for longer than they might like. I hope not. Given the increased limit I pondered ordering 3, but couldn't talk myself into it.

T15 sounds right up my alley. I used to say that the PMA11 mule was my all time favorite (and I still hold it in high regard -- it is essentially 10V by another name), but then Rex45 came along (not as a mule as far as I know.) Then Rex76, then 15v, and now this. These tool steels with fantastic edge retention really make me happy. Maybe I shoulda ordered 3?

But I try not to be a hog.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:58 pm
...I just worry that this might mean that interest was low and Spyderco will be annoyed at having mule team inventory for longer than they might like....

I think Spyderco has factored longer shelf time into their increased mule production numbers, and are OK with it. While some folks are comfortable with intense competition for mules, you can see by reading his forum comments that Sal was not, and the numbers produced have jumped from the typical 500-800 range to the "new normal" which is usually 1000+, plus the always-in-stock straight spine. The M398 sat on the shelf for months, but it sold out in time. The T15 may be around awhile too, since it's not a terribly unusual steel by today's high standards with strong competition from 10V and Vanadis 8 (though I suspect it is very, very good--it occupies a nice neighborhood along the ER/toughness curve).

Since I don't resell, I like the larger production numbers. I was initially on the fence about the AEB-L and only got one. Several weeks later I realized I wanted another and was still able to get one. Nice! Imagine being able to do that with an S90V or Maximet or K390 mule.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
BIGSTRETCH

Post by BIGSTRETCH »

I’m excited to see how Spyderco cooked these up, but this season of releases has me thinking about the future. T15, 10v, the upcoming K294 and 15v are all in the same ballpark of performance. I am curious if they heat treated in a way to distinguish these more from one another. I suspect that is what they do with M390 and 20cv for example; with the latter running a point or two lower- and they seem to really drive the idea of 20cv being a tough steel in the marketing. Maybe I’m completely wrong about that, but it would be nice to have T15 do something, anything better than 10v and K294.

As steel guys, sharpening guys and not just knife guys; don’t you want more nuance between the steel on your mules? How many of these ~10v hss steels can we get in one year? Maybe it is time to start rereleasing the most popular mules with experimental heat treatments rather than just exhaust the alphabet soup of available knife steels. At this rate, It may not be long before we’re scraping at the bottom of the barrel for new steels to choose from.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:34 pm
some folks are comfortable with intense competition for mules, you can see by reading his forum comments that Sal was not,

Yeah, it makes perfect sense. If there are buyers for 1200 units, and only 700 were manufactured, then not only was there money left on the table, but there will be grumpy customers.

I don't think any Spyderco fan thinks for a minute that there are artificial shortages. The evidence of Spyderco's strong commitment to meeting customer demand is the new building. What do you think the new building will mean to you and me? Lower pricing? New models? Increased market saturation?