Gayle Bradley 3 Possibility?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soulrack

Re: Gayle Bradley 3 Possibility?

Post by Soulrack »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:59 pm
Gayle said he was retiring and would not be designing any more models.

sal
:crying-face :downcast :'(
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

HolySteel wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:18 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:07 am
It certainly would be a very nice knife (not that the current GB2 would not be, as far as I know...) - and I am all for promoting mid and high end linerlock Spydercos, here exists an overrepresentation towards the comp.lock imho.
Also I do like long cutting edges in rather compact handles and tool steels, so yes! :smlling-eyes

Personally I am not into CF though, Micarta would be great, but G10 fine too.
The GB2 has the best liner lock I've encountered, with the GB1 very close. I've heard a few people complain about it, so maybe I just got lucky with my examples. I love both knives - would be hard-pressed to choose one over the other.

I hear people "complain" about the GB lock being harder to access than other linerlocks,, and I can see why that could actually be when looking at the knife.
Don´t know if it would bother me personally - could be, cause the extreme ease of operation and how "naturally" that works (especially with gloves on) is one thing I actually like with this particular locktype (especially compared to a comp.lock)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:01 am
HolySteel wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
It certainly would be a very nice knife (not that the current GB2 would not be, as far as I know...) - and I am all for promoting mid and high end linerlock Spydercos, here exists an overrepresentation towards the comp.lock imho.
Also I do like long cutting edges in rather compact handles and tool steels, so yes! :smlling-eyes

The GB2 has the best liner lock I've encountered, with the GB1 very close. I've heard a few people complain about it, so maybe I just got lucky with my examples. I love both knives - would be hard-pressed to choose one over the other.

I hear people "complain" about the GB lock being harder to access than other linerlocks,, and I can see why that could actually be when looking at the knife.
Don´t know if it would bother me personally - could be, cause the extreme ease of operation and how "naturally" that works (especially with gloves on) is one thing I actually like with this particular locktype (especially compared to a comp.lock)
I believe a lot of it has to do with getting used to that kind of lock - dexterity, your thumb gets a little calloused, etc. My GB was not easy to open when I got it, nothing's changed with the knife, and now it's easy.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

My GB Spydie collection is missing the GB2 & Nightstick, but I feel they'll be easy to pick up in the coming years...his designs need to be in hand to be fully appreciated. In my opinion...the function factor is unmatched.
So it goes.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

HolySteel wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:13 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:01 am
HolySteel wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I believe a lot of it has to do with getting used to that kind of lock - dexterity, your thumb gets a little calloused, etc. My GB was not easy to open when I got it, nothing's changed with the knife, and now it's easy.
The previous owner of my first GB had someone customize it to have better access to the lock bar. It actually looks like the knife was made that way. Not long after I bought that I found a good deal on a like new and unmodified GB. At first it was a little hard to open. Then I figured out I can push down on the lock bar and move it open. After doing it awhile it became second nature and I no longer have any issues. I still carry and use the modified one more but not really because I find it easier to use
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

How about a gb1 with contoured black linen micarta scales ?
:bug-red-white
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

With the Goddard model being re-run in sprint format, I can see a potential sprint of the Air, or GB1, possible. As is said, interest builds traction for these investments. These models are too costly for me, however, I'd like to see a sprint of one of his designs as a salute to the man himself, Mr. Gayle Bradley.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

If I could get any GB1 custom scales, I would be excited.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:45 am
Linen micarta is typically polished and this too smooth for a knife whose inherent design demands use.
jlw

Post by jlw »

soulspy wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:26 am
If I could get any GB1 custom scales, I would be excited.
Cuscadi will make custom scales for the GB1

—James
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Rinzler wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:49 am
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:45 am
Linen micarta is typically polished and this too smooth for a knife whose inherent design demands use.
To each their own. The carbon fiber g10 the knife comes stock with has very marginally better traction, it actually might even be more slippery. The polished micarta has a bit of a tacky effect I’ve found with handling and using the micarta street beat. The main way I could see someone’s hand slipping on the Gayle bradly folders is if your doing some real heavy stabbing since both models have pretty neutral handle shapes and not that much guard at the front, in which case it mostly comes down to handle geometry than material or added surface traction
:bug-red-white