St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Post by vivi »

HolySteel wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:02 pm
riclaw wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:51 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:17 pm
jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:10 pm
I hope this sells out fast, otherwise I am going to buy it. 🙄
I think I'm in the same boat. If it is easy to buy, I'll have one.
Same.

The design reminds me of the Siren.

Does it have liners?
I just had out my Siren and Goddard, trying to decide which one I'm taking fishing Sunday. The original Goddard does not have liners. They are similar, but I prefer the straighter Siren and it feels better in hand. Also, I prefer its weight distribution. Still - I will buy the St. Nick's
How do the handles compare?

On the Siren the main grip area is just small enough the handle feels undersized.

I'd give this sprint a shot if the grip area is a bit bigger.

PS - There's so many other ways to close a lockback one handed than dropping the blade on your index finger. Why risk cutting yourself?
:unicorn
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

vivi wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:13 pm

On the Siren the main grip area is just small enough the handle feels undersized.

PS - There's so many other ways to close a lockback one handed than dropping the blade on your index finger. Why risk cutting yourself?
They are about the same, but the Siren is thicker so you will probably like the Goddard even less.

Regarding your other comment - force of habit. The Siren has definitely made me re-think how I close lockbacks.
endura3

Post by endura3 »

cjk wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:43 pm
Is that thing one piece of FRN like a Dragonfly or is it two? There aren't any screws holding the backspacer area together except the clip barrels.
Based on the original design and other knives with the barrel clip screw, I think we can safely assume it's a 1-piece FRN handle.

This happens to be my single favorite spyderco handle construction method - this is the first dealer exclusive I've seen that I'm gonna put in a concerted effort to get when it comes out. The idea of using dealer exclusives to bring back short runs of classic models is really cool.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:10 pm
I hope this sells out fast, otherwise I am going to buy it. 🙄
I'm hoping this doesn't sell out fast, so I get to buy it. 😁

I like this design and have been thinking about trying to pick one up used, but a new one in 4V (an interesting steel I've never used) would be outstanding.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

😃
vivi

Post by vivi »

HolySteel wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:36 pm
vivi wrote:

They are about the same, but the Siren is thicker so you will probably like the Goddard even less.

Regarding your other comment - force of habit. The Siren has definitely made me re-think how I close lockbacks.
Thanks for the info. I don't mind a thinner handle, I just want a longer grip area behind the guard than the Siren. The design has always looked good to me but if it's gonna feel cramped I'll stick with my usuals.
:unicorn
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I wonder if they made new molds for the handle. Sal has made the statements several times how expensive new molds are. If these are new molds, well I doubt you'd do that for 1 run of 1100 knives....
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Probably the same molds, but these look to have a different pivot and stop pin than the sprint.
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... trade-/807

Close up of the OD sprint:
- Richard
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bolster wrote:
Is there an aftermarket deep carry clip available for this knife? It looks to stand very proud in the pocket as is.
Not to my knowledge, but I’m not exhaustive. One of my chief concerns as well.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like this. It is going to make a good knife. I can't get it because the exchange rate is just awful, right now. If I were able to do it, I would definitely buy this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

riclaw wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:06 pm
HolySteel wrote:
riclaw wrote:
JRinFL wrote:
Thanks! When you close your Goddard, does the edge come as close to your finger as the Siren does? My Siren can nick the top of my index finger if I don't close it just right.

Along the lines of what Vivi said: Imo there are generally better methods to close a backlock, here are three alternatives I happen to still have clips of I once made (each method first time shown slow, than "regular speed").
(I do NOT intend to and will not discuss backlock - closing in this thread, but just share the clips and hope they might be helpful for some)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd

https://streamable.com/bhhzs

https://streamable.com/myzlt
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Like it a lot!

Though an Endura is actually a bit shorter when closed, while still offering a hair more of edge (I would not have guessed this when looking at the Goddard)

One thing that surprises me: I seem to recall that normally when an FRN model gets disco´ed the FRN molds are not kept either (which of course makes sense economically speaking)
For example Sal said that once (if I recall correctly) that there´d be no chance of another Stretch 1 run, since the molds would not exist any longer.

In THIS case though they obviously still have the molds...

Anyway, if this came in SE I´d certainly try to score one!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:11 pm
I wonder if they made new molds for the handle. Sal has made the statements several times how expensive new molds are. If these are new molds, well I doubt you'd do that for 1 run of 1100 knives....
Well… there are worse things than more Goddards around. Maybe more places will put out their iterations of it? *looking at you, dlt*
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bemo wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:11 pm

Sorry, Bemo, I did not mean to parrot you (since I made pretty much the same point later on) :grimace - I just somehow missed your post.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've been after a Goddard LW for a while. And I've been asking for a sprint run of this knife.

I have a rule to not buy exclusive since shipping and import fees make them so expensive but if St Nick's ships to France, and the price is right... I might just have to get this one...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:54 am
I've been after a Goddard LW for a while. And I've been asking for a sprint run of this knife.

I have a rule to not buy exclusive since shipping and import fees make them so expensive but if St Nick's ships to France, and the price is right... I might just have to get this one...
IIRC they ship globally - they certainly ship to Singapore 💳🔥🤦🏼‍♂️
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

vivi wrote:
HolySteel wrote:
riclaw wrote:
JRinFL wrote:

I think I'm in the same boat. If it is easy to buy, I'll have one.

I bought a CF Siren because it has the best grip of any Spyderco I have held. That and the weight and cutting edge length. I have Xl hands. I got the Military 4v and I love the Siren so I’ll sit this one out.
Same.

The design reminds me of the Siren.

Does it have liners?
I just had out my Siren and Goddard, trying to decide which one I'm taking fishing Sunday. The original Goddard does not have liners. They are similar, but I prefer the straighter Siren and it feels better in hand. Also, I prefer its weight distribution. Still - I will buy the St. Nick's

Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:51 am
Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 1:54 am

IIRC they ship globally - they certainly ship to Singapore 💳🔥🤦🏼‍♂️
I checked after my post and yes they do. 36 USD to get it to France. It should make it a 200 USD knife once import fees are covered. Still totally worth it in my eyes. :cheap-sunglasses
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

blueblur

Post by blueblur »

This looks cool, and was unexpected. Does anyone have some comparison pics next to the siren? Or for anyone that has handled both, can comment on the similarities and differences between the 2?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

blueblur wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:12 am
This looks cool, and was unexpected. Does anyone have some comparison pics next to the siren? Or for anyone that has handled both, can comment on the similarities and differences between the 2?
Similarities are only if you look at them from the side. From the back it's very different ! Not the same blade thickness and the blade is taller on the Goddard if I'm not mistaken.

It was definitely unexpected, thanks St Nick's if you had to push for such an exclusive ! I've been starting to campaign for a Goddard LW sprint-run during the last months. I can stop this battle before I even truely start it. :winking-tongue