LeafJumper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: LeafJumper

Post by kennethsime »

Ok, I’m gonna buy this knife. But I think I can wait until it comes into stock at DLT.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:02 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:53 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:15 pm

Actually, I was just about to ask this thread if anyone had a Serrated LeafJumper yet?
The leafjumper appears to be ground a little differently than the RockJumper. It is most notable in the images of the serrated LeafJumper showing 8 large scallops rather than the 6 of my serrated Rockjumper.

It'll be my next purchase but probably not for another couple weeks. I'm a little concerned about the serration angle, I really hope it's not like the Police 4 and/or Ayoob, but it kinda looks like they are. I've gotten really spoiled by factory serrations coming in just below 15 degrees, it makes sharpening far more enjoyable and eliminates the need for heavy reprofiling.
Which one ? Ark aside …
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My K390 order’s in. Super-stoked.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

For anyone who owns an Endela, how does the leafjumper compare?

The Endela has become my Goldilocks knife but I’m always open to new models.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

There’s a new Goldilocks in town…more hand-filling than the Endela and SLICEY, can get super close to the blade(look at the ricasso/plunge line area) 👍
Negative blade shape similar to Manix lw but no choil 👍
Very similar to the Stretch xl lw handle-wise behind the choil 👍

Now in my top 5 and I had to restrain myself from getting the SE version cuz I spent too much money at BladeShow, but the scallops seemed to be shallow and very Slicey looking…a Salt version would be an INSTANT buy!!! 👏👏👏
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

thanks! someone needs to make micarta scales for these.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:56 pm
thanks! someone needs to make micarta scales for these.
I did a search today, none yet. My money is on VotixEDC on Etsy being the first, although Suingab or Cuscadi would probably do them custom.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Haunted House wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:03 pm
For anyone who owns an Endela, how does the leafjumper compare?

The Endela has become my Goldilocks knife but I’m always open to new models.

I have an Endela and had the Rockjumper (so basically the wharnie version of the Leafjumper), both in SE.
Kept the Endela, obviously.

Tight race, but in the end the Endela offers a bit more cutting edge and (to me!) more and a bit better grip options (keep in mind though: I really like too choke up on the ricasso, while many others don´t!)

A LeafJumper SE with a fully handle filling blade and thus more cutting edge could beat my Endela SE though, perhaps.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

I agree with what you said Gernot about the Endela and Leafjumper being a tight race as they are both fantastic knives, I just like a wider handle a tad more and like you I also choke up on the ricasso and put my thumb on top of the blade…I do the same with the jumper- my finger rests on the top of the finger guard and the tiny bit of the ricasso available AND the blade but there’s no pressure on the blade because the tip of the grip sits lower…I also pinch the actual blade with my index and thumb near the tip and my middle finger rests below the Spydie hole and since the blade is wider and has a negative angle it feels more balanced to me…I do wish the blade was a little longer in the handle like the stretch xl lw but not that big a deal…eventually I will get the SE version, I was torn between it and the PE, literally told him to ring it up the SE then changed my mind…I’m sure you’ll enlighten me on specs and your thoughts which I really enjoy but if I don’t finish staining the deck I’m gonna be in the doghouse so I’ll go ahead and say great points you bring up and thanks for the feedback and I’ll get back with you this afternoon but I forgot what the time difference is so this may go in for days…🤣😉
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

I feel like I just talked back to my 5th grade teacher and am about to get schooled (no pun)🤣
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

does the forward grip not get you close enough to not choke up?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

Mine came in today. In the pursuit of perfection, this creeps ever so close to the one EDC to rule them all for me. I never expected the Jumper design to slowly become my favorite knife, but it has. I got the wharnie Rock Jumper on a whim. Liked it enough to get a serrated Rock Jumper for rougher tasks. Leaf Jumper came along and needed it for EDC. I ended up liking the edge profile more than my Stretch SS. Once K390 Leaf Jumper was announced, it was a no brainer, and here I am. I hate using the term "grail knife", but this really does hit my perfect balance of awesome and utility. Comfortable handle, great utility, fluid lines, no frills back lock, excellent steel. I don't miss jimping, I don't miss fancy compression locks, I don't miss choil grips, I don't miss boye dent, I don't miss fancy materials beyond a good functioning steel. It feels like a nice manual transmission line 6 sports car with no fancy upgrades. Does what you need it to do, looks good, and trims off all the unnecessary creature comforts and fancy tech. I did change up one thing, I added a deep carry Lynch pocket clip.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 10:17 pm
…It feels like a nice manual transmission line 6 sports car with no fancy upgrades. Does what you need it to do, looks good, and trims off all the unnecessary creature comforts and fancy tech. I did change up one thing, I added a deep carry Lynch pocket clip.
Great feedback. Pretty stoked to try this guy out.

Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Can't wait until there's some micarta scales for this.
vivi

Post by vivi »

NCC-2893 wrote:

Mine came in today. In the pursuit of perfection, this creeps ever so close to the one EDC to rule them all for me. I never expected the Jumper design to slowly become my favorite knife, but it has. I got the wharnie Rock Jumper on a whim. Liked it enough to get a serrated Rock Jumper for rougher tasks. Leaf Jumper came along and needed it for EDC. I ended up liking the edge profile more than my Stretch SS. Once K390 Leaf Jumper was announced, it was a no brainer, and here I am. I hate using the term "grail knife", but this really does hit my perfect balance of awesome and utility. Comfortable handle, great utility, fluid lines, no frills back lock, excellent steel. I don't miss jimping, I don't miss fancy compression locks, I don't miss choil grips, I don't miss boye dent, I don't miss fancy materials beyond a good functioning steel. It feels like a nice manual transmission line 6 sports car with no fancy upgrades. Does what you need it to do, looks good, and trims off all the unnecessary creature comforts and fancy tech. I did change up one thing, I added a deep carry Lynch pocket clip.
I could see myself feeling the same way about the larger version when it comes out. In a way it's kind of like a cross between my two favorite folders. Neutral handle shape and edge basically right up to the handle like the Resilience, but built more like the Pacific Salt / Endura with the FRN scales etc.
:unicorn
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

NCC-2893 wrote:

Man you hit all the reasons that it’s in my top 5, DITTO 💯👊
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

SALT SALT SALT SALT SALT SALT SALT SALT 🙏
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Salt Jumper + FRN Backlock Caribbean = 90% of my folding knife usage. The handle-forward designs are really good!
olywa

Post by olywa »

My arc follows yours pretty closely NCC, but I haven't yet sprung for it in K390. I feel like I've got enough K390 for now, but I love the Jumper platform and hope we see a Salt or a Cru-wear sprint soon.