Gaboon Ebony Handles

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
WilliamMunny

Gaboon Ebony Handles

Post by WilliamMunny »

I recently picked up about .75bf of Gaboon Ebony wood from my last trip to Ghana. It was locally sourced and only $35 (normally $100/bf). As you can see from the picture one block has a beautiful sap line that I thought would make a great Mule handle.

Has anyone every worked with Ebony, did you stabilize it? Any feed back would be great as this is a very dense wood with a Janka Hardness of 3.080lbf (pine is 380lbf and oak is 1,220lbf for comparison). I have awhile before it dries out but I wanted to see what other people have experienced. I might do some inlays or a chess board with it too.

BTW this is just rough cut with a table saw, sanded and polished it should be amazing.
IMG_4585.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Larry_Mott

Re: Gaboon Ebony Handles

Post by Larry_Mott »

Only experience i have with ebony is musical instruments (guitar fretboards and Uilleann (Irish) bagpipes. AFAIK instrument makers don't stabilize the timber, i do know they let it sit until it reaches humidity equilibrium (the pieces don't lose or gain weight anymore) and finished instruments are oiled but that's about it.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've used natural ebony, but not the particular essence coming from Gaboon, seems similar in density (even denser though). The ebony I've used has not moved in a decade and it's been used as a handle by a family member for that duration.

I can't say much more since my experience is very limited ! But if Gaboon Ebony acts like the one I've used, it's pretty darn resistant on its own!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:23 pm
I've used natural ebony, but not the particular essence coming from Gaboon, seems similar in density (even denser though). The ebony I've used has not moved in a decade and it's been used as a handle by a family member for that duration.

I can't say much more since my experience is very limited ! But if Gaboon Ebony acts like the one I've used, it's pretty darn resistant on its own!
That is my understanding too, it is very dense and oily. I have heard it does not take stabilizing well due to this, but on the flip side I have seen other people say the opposite. Was even thinking about epoxying it to thin black G10 to straighten it.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

I have used Gabon Ebony for years making custom furniture pulls, and have used it at least a dozen times for knife handles. You do not need to stabilize it and I don’t think it would absorb much resin if you tried to. If you wet sand it up to 800 grit and buff it with red rouge it will take a great polish that will help it resist water.
Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

I love it.

I have a Gibson J-45 with an ebony fretboard.

Great wood.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:02 am
I love it.

I have a Gibson J-45 with an ebony fretboard.

Great wood.
It will be fun to work with, especially since I have a story behind it.