SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Re: SE performance is more than simply teeth vs no teeth.

Post by 40mm »

Hello....serrations people. I'm an all day er' day serrated H1 user with a Dragonfly Salt clipped in my waistband. It's the knife that's always on me. Lately I've been wanting to pick up a large blade just to use as an around the house beater/yardwork/whatever comes up knife. I'm leaning towards one of the sheepsfoot style knives and been looking at the Atlantic Salt as well as the older Rescue clipit model. Lastly I've contemplated picking up a Pacific Salt 1 and dropping the tip myself to make it a sheepsfoot. Your experience with the large Atlantic and Rescue models would be appreciated as well as recommendations as to which model/models you like and why. Bonus points for pictures!
olywa

Post by olywa »

If you're looking for a beater it's hard to do better than the Byrd Rescue SE in orange or black. Much stouter than the Atlantic and I like the serration pattern better. The orange one is pretty hard to lose.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

40mm wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:37 am
Hello....serrations people. I'm an all day er' day serrated H1 user with a Dragonfly Salt clipped in my waistband. It's the knife that's always on me. Lately I've been wanting to pick up a large blade just to use as an around the house beater/yardwork/whatever comes up knife. I'm leaning towards one of the sheepsfoot style knives and been looking at the Atlantic Salt as well as the older Rescue clipit model. Lastly I've contemplated picking up a Pacific Salt 1 and dropping the tip myself to make it a sheepsfoot. Your experience with the large Atlantic and Rescue models would be appreciated as well as recommendations as to which model/models you like and why. Bonus points for pictures!

- Though I don´t own one myself, when I hear "sheepsfoot and SE" the sheepsfoot Carribean comes to mind.
From all I hear it must have great serrations and offers a lot of cutting edge to work with.

- The Atlantic Salt SE is a knife I am considering myself again and again. In some (of course not ALL) ways it is very PM2 - ish (overall handle shape, size, just much lighter and more edge) - you might want to look at this thread viewtopic.php?t=88063#p1468602 I once started on this topic.

The thing I don´t like with the Atlantic SE: Even as a pretty firm SE guy, I like the usual short PE section towards the tip.
The Atlantic does not have this, but serrations all the way (which makes it also harder to give it a pointier tip, something you obviously don´t want to anyway though)

- The Pac Salt actually HAS a pretty sheepsfooty tip already - especially the tip of the H1 version (sabre holllow grind, no tapering) is really not that pointy.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, for my purposes I find the serrated Byrd Harrier 2 Wharnie right up there. A lot of knife snobs are missing out.
kuxxxan

Post by kuxxxan »

Hey serrated people! I m back to SE after a while with the PE. Enjoying my native5 SE magnacut so much!

QQ: What is the commonly used sharpening method/tools for SE spydies ? Especially Magnacut with Spyderco heat treatment (I also own a couple of Seki k390 SE) . Im considering buying Spyderco Tri angle diamond triangle stones 204d, but isn't that too much for just a magnacut sharpening? Also I suppose those stones don't fit narrow serrations? ( quite sure they fit the wider serrations but its good to double check as well)

Another option im considering is KME Tapered Diamond Rod for Serrated Blades, costs much less (compared to Spyderco triangle stones) but Im also not sure how the sharpening experience will look like with that rod given the fact that I don't own KME sharpening system at the moment

any advices much appreciated!
__
Magnacut & K390 for win
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Get the Sharpmaker. Don't over think it. Just get the sharpmaker. As a bench stone guy I was skeptical of how useful it would be for PE blades. Get the sharpmaker. Oh and yes, get the CBN rods now. Why? You don't need them for MagnaCut, but you will for higher carbide steels and unless you find a rocking sale down the road they won't get cheaper.
olywa

Post by olywa »

If you're worried about whether the Sharpmaker triangle rods will "fit" your blade's serrations, then you're using it the wrong way.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

olywa wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:10 am
If you're worried about whether the Sharpmaker triangle rods will "fit" your blade's serrations, then you're using it the wrong way.
In fairness, there are knives, both folding and culinary, that use serrations too small to get inside the scallops with a Sharpmaker. I have a chintzy petty knife like that which is reserved for garden work. I sharpen it by grinding the back side. Everything else serrated in my collection is compatible with the Sharpmaker.
kuxxxan

Post by kuxxxan »

olywa wrote:
Olywa, please educate me. I think your are mentioning this type of sharpening ,right? https://youtu.be/vthDn1Udn70

I was thinking of placing a stone inside each serration and sharpening them individually so I won't be flattening the whole blade via the proposed method. But please shout if it is a not "correct" way or I am overthinking the whole process at all

I think this is the way Im keeping in my head https://youtu.be/cVRB3uP1-VY

PS-> Bemo, thanks for advice, appreciate it!
__
Magnacut & K390 for win
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

There is a Sharpmaker video on YouTube, featuring Sal himself. It explains things very well. After a little practice, many of us actually find it easier to sharper SE.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kuxxxan wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:41 am
olywa wrote:
Olywa, please educate me. I think your are mentioning this type of sharpening ,right? https://youtu.be/vthDn1Udn70

I was thinking of placing a stone inside each serration and sharpening them individually so I won't be flattening the whole blade via the proposed method. But please shout if it is a not "correct" way or I am overthinking the whole process at all

Hi kuxxxan,

no offense, but this is not a good vid/ method about/for sharpening SE, as sharpening each scallop individually is not anyways.

Actually, David/Evil D linked a great thread by Vivi about sharpening SE in his very first post,

HERE is this thread about how toi sharpen SE again (the very first
post will tell you pretty much everything you need to know)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544#p1349519

HERE is a vid linked in that very thread (showing that sharpening SE actually is even a bit faster and easier than PE)
https://youtu.be/Ptmx1iJELhU

And HERE is the instructional DVD that comes with the Sharpmaker (Sal himself shows how easy it is to sharpen SE, starting at about 19:20 into the vid)
https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58?t=1110
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kuxxxan

Post by kuxxxan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:11 pm
kuxxxan wrote:
olywa wrote:

Hi kuxxxan,

no offense, but this is not a good vid/ method about/for sharpening SE, as sharpening each scallop individually is not anyways.

Actually, David/Evil D linked a great thread by Vivi about sharpening SE in his very first post,

HERE is this thread about how toi sharpen SE again (the very first
post will tell you pretty much everything you need to know)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544#p1349519

HERE is a vid linked in that very thread (showing that sharpening SE actually is even a bit faster and easier than PE)
https://youtu.be/Ptmx1iJELhU

And HERE is the instructional DVD that comes with the Sharpmaker (Sal himself shows how easy it is to sharpen SE, starting at about 19:20 into the vid)
https://youtu.be/5LBDnJv5B58?t=1110

Danke schön Wartstein! (for non German speaking it means thanks a lot in German)

I think I am all set now and will study the materials attached and practice!
__
Magnacut & K390 for win
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kuxxxan wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
kuxxxan wrote:
olywa wrote:

Danke schön Wartstein! (for non German speaking it means thanks a lot in German)

Immer gerne! :smlling-eyes (Wo genau oder ungefähr in Deutschland lebst Du ?)

Yes, Sal in the instructional vid and Vivi in his both show how easy it actually is to sharpen SE (on a Sharpmaker but obviously also on the corner of a sharpening stone).

To me easier than PE. To repeat it:

- Just one side has to be actually sharpened, on the other side only the burr has to be removed (chisel grind)
- One can really "feel" the right angle much better than normally with PE, due to the high bevel of the SE grind

The two usual tips (you might not need that, but can´t hurt either):

- Use a light touch on the rods, lighter than you might think at first
- Don´t do too fast strokes on the rods when sharpening SE

Perhaps you´d like to share how it works out for you, preferably probably in Vivis SE sharpening thread (here is the link again: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544)
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I’m thinking of picking up a dragonfly salt in serrated edge just to try out. I figure it’s only $80 and I already like the dragonfly platform and I use my plain edge dragonfly around the house mostly since it’s so easy to carry. If I like serrations I can move to something larger.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
kuxxxan

Post by kuxxxan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:55 pm
kuxxxan wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:30 am
Wartstein wrote:
kuxxxan wrote:

Immer gerne! :smlling-eyes (Wo genau oder ungefähr in Deutschland lebst Du ?)

Yes, Sal in the instructional vid and Vivi in his both show how easy it actually is to sharpen SE (on a Sharpmaker but obviously also on the corner of a sharpening stone).

To me easier than PE. To repeat it:

- Just one side has to be actually sharpened, on the other side only the burr has to be removed (chisel grind)
- One can really "feel" the right angle much better than normally with PE, due to the high bevel of the SE grind

The two usual tips (you might not need that, but can´t hurt either):

- Use a light touch on the rods, lighter than you might think at first
- Don´t do too fast strokes on the rods when sharpening SE

Perhaps you´d like to share how it works out for you, preferably probably in Vivis SE sharpening thread (here is the link again: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=84544)
Berlin!

Ordered sharpmaker, will practice really soon! thx for advices!
__
Magnacut & K390 for win
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

First SE came today, a VG10 LeafJumper. I’ve only cut up the box it came in, but I was surprised how much I liked it. Final verdict will have to wait, obviously, but I sense a whole new frontier opening in front of me. Side note: the LeafJumper was love at first grasp. If nothing else, I’ve got a new top 3 model.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:43 pm
First SE came today, a VG10 LeafJumper. I’ve only cut up the box it came in, but I was surprised how much I liked it. Final verdict will have to wait, obviously, but I sense a whole new frontier opening in front of me. Side note: the LeafJumper was love at first grasp. If nothing else, I’ve got a new top 3 model.

That can be the "problem" with SE, and it happened to me: After realizing how well a good spyderedge cuts, I know want to own all the models I like / own / know in PE already in SE (instead or additionally)... :grin-sweat

"Luckily" (for my wallet...) many Spydies still come only in PE anyway.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:43 pm
First SE came today, a VG10 LeafJumper. I’ve only cut up the box it came in, but I was surprised how much I liked it.
Serrations are great aren't they! On the boat yesterday I used my Salt 2 SE to cut the side out of a lobster pot to free a large trapped eel, cut out a portion of melted hose and chop up a thick container for a makeshift bailer. Yes a PE would have done all those things but more slowly and with more concerns over its sharpness afterwards.

I also keep a 'sacrificial' blunt ended SE Mora Companion permanently onboard. It has a different serration pattern to Spydercos which seems to make for a neater cut on thicker rope.
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

olywa wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:30 pm
If you're looking for a beater it's hard to do better than the Byrd Rescue SE in orange or black. Much stouter than the Atlantic and I like the serration pattern better. The orange one is pretty hard to lose.

Not sure if that’s the same model, but I just bought the orange Byrd Cara Cara 2 rescue….my 1st serrated model….to see if I like serrations. Ugly as ****, but for $35 delivered, seems a good utility or emergency knife and worth a try.

olywa

Post by olywa »

That's the one. It's a real beaver on cardboard. Takes an edge fairly easily and holds it for a decent amount of time. Vines and small green limbs are easy fodder.