Para 3 Lightweight CQI

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flinx72762

Para 3 Lightweight CQI

Post by flinx72762 »

Hello Sal and company! I was just changing pocket clips on two of my Para 3 lw’s and noticed that my Spy-27 one seems to have more play back and forth when breaking the clip screw loose. That got me to worrying about whether the D-shaped hole in the FRN might strip out on this model at some point in the future. (Should I continue to swap clips around, that is). Which then made me think “it wouldn’t be an issue if it had a torx head on both sides, instead of just one”.

Sal, could this be something we see in a future CQI update to the Para 3 lw?

If this was something you implemented, I would be happy to order several of those to update my Para lightweights.

Just curious,

John
Michael Janich

Re: Para 3 Lightweight CQI

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear flinx72762:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
cjk

Post by cjk »

if you put a torx head on both sides of the chicago screws, it's not obvious which side is there to be loosened and which should be held still. I think it'd make more sense to have a flathead on the barrel side and a torx on the screw side.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

cjk wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:17 am
if you put a torx head on both sides of the chicago screws, it's not obvious which side is there to be loosened and which should be held still. I think it'd make more sense to have a flathead on the barrel side and a torx on the screw side.
This is alleviated if the hole is round. Then one turns and the other is held stationary, doesn't really matter. Flatheads slip to easily when trying to do funky two hand/two tool operations.
cjk

Post by cjk »

bobnikon wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:55 am
cjk wrote:
This is alleviated if the hole is round. Then one turns and the other is held stationary, doesn't really matter. Flatheads slip to easily when trying to do funky two hand/two tool operations.
Very good point, however the hole isn't round. It's D shaped. A change to the injection molds is presumably a more expensive change than a change to the fasteners.

My solution to the Para 3 LW is to buy the G-10 model instead. ;). Or if you want a lightweight, the Native 5 is superb.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

cjk wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:00 am
bobnikon wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:55 am
cjk wrote:
Very good point, however the hole isn't round. It's D shaped. A change to the injection molds is presumably a more expensive change than a change to the fasteners.

My solution to the Para 3 LW is to buy the G-10 model instead. ;). Or if you want a lightweight, the Native 5 is superb.
I second that, btw. Native is one of the best affordable spyderco knives out there ;)
MidnightCoalCo.

Post by MidnightCoalCo. »

Agreed that the Native 5 is an outstanding lightweight option. I have only ever purchased one Para 3 LW and it had a lot of play in the detent when you would go to open it. Almost like the detent hole was bigger than the ball or the ball might have been set back too far. I made numerous attempt to make it better but nothing really worked. Knife looks great and still works just fine but that play has kept me from buying another one.
:bug-red-white Spyderco enthusiast with way too many to list. :bug-red-white
cjk

Post by cjk »

MidnightCoalCo. wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:47 am
Agreed that the Native 5 is an outstanding lightweight option. I have only ever purchased one Para 3 LW and it had a lot of play in the detent when you would go to open it. Almost like the detent hole was bigger than the ball or the ball might have been set back too far. I made numerous attempt to make it better but nothing really worked. Knife looks great and still works just fine but that play has kept me from buying another one.
I had exactly the same experience.
flinx72762

Post by flinx72762 »

Thanks for the welcome Mike!

And thank you to everyone else who replied.

I own a Native 5 lw and it just doesn’t ft my hand. Plus, it’s a back lock, not a compression lock.

I prefer the Para 3 lw in hand compared to the Native.

I was mainly asking about this since I was looking at the Sage 5 lw and saw that it has torx heads on both sides of the clip screw.

As far as making it confusing for folk as as to which screw needs to be loosed for clip removal, Spyderco could simply ad a small piece of paper in the box with instructions on it.

Plus, I really love all the different colors and steel combinations available with the Para 3 lw.

I was just curious about whether this might be a possible solution to an issue others have encountered with this knife.

John
z1r

Post by z1r »

Hmm, I only have a LW in Rex 45, I love that knife. Though, I didn't think so when I first got it. The forum members here helped me tune the pivot screws such that all play was eliminated and it opened and shut easily. After that, it has been golden.