Sage 5 Upgrade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Greg Evans

Sage 5 Upgrade

Post by Greg Evans »

So I just got my Sage 5 LW in and so far I am loving it! However the FRN scales with that bidirectional texturing will probably eventually wear a hole in my pants pockets with how much I pull out my Sage just to fidget with it. Looking to change out my scales... Anyone know where to get some good scales for the Sage 5 LW? Also feel free to upload pics of your Sage 5 upgrades, let's see what ya got!
sal

Re: Sage 5 Upgrade

Post by sal »

H Greg,

Welcome to our forum..You can lessen the tension on the clip as an easy solution. Some sand the scales bit.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Hey Greg,

Welcome to the forum!

Here’s one option for aftermarket scales.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Zipper

Post by Zipper »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:18 pm
Hey Greg,

Welcome to the forum!

Here’s one option for aftermarket scales.
Votix EDC (Victoria, Australia company) also does carbon fiber scales for the Sage 5 LW. I have his carbon fiber sets for my BM Bugout (carbon fiber and blue G10 liners) and PM2. Both outstanding quality.
He does good work, but because of his popularity there is a 4-6 week wait.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Parsons Blade Works has a few. I purchased the shredded carbon fiber scales and love them. They fit perfectly and are huge upgrade. Here is a link:

https://parsonsbladeworks.bigcartel.com/
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:16 am
Parsons Blade Works has a few. I purchased the shredded carbon fiber scales and love them. They fit perfectly and are huge upgrade. Here is a link:

These are great scale options. Heavily contoured and I would highly recommend. I got the smooth titanium and they are too smooth for me. I ended back in the factory FRN scales. I personally think they are the best looking FRN pattern. The Sage 5 LW has become my no nonsense cutting tool. If it is not my primary carry it is my 2nd and it is usually not too far away for me to grab. I may end up getting some of the Micarta scales he also offers.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

These are beautiful ! I wanted to order on their website but they do not ship to France.
The "Designed in California, made in China" made me believe that it could come over here but eh, afterall I just really need to buy a CNC :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I actually always found Soydercos FRN scales to be LESS pocket shredding than G10.

Of course only due to the smooth, flat spot where the clip lands that the FRN scales feature.
This should actually be the only one that comes in contact with the garment with real pressure...?

Anyway: Of course completely smooth scales must be even nicer to pockets.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Ooooh...... I'm trying to cut expenditures right now, this isn't helping. One of my favorite patterns in denim micarta.... bestill my heart.
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

I was looking into getting some Sage 5 scales recently. All the options i found have been mentioned in this thread.

As Sal mentioned, reducing the tension on your clip will help a lot. Simply do that by pulling outward on the clip past the point the clip would normally travel if it were going into your pocket.

Another cheaper option than scales is to buy an aftermarket clip. I'd suggest Lynch NW for that. Their stuff is top quality. But there are loads of options all over the web for wire clips.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:42 am

The black one sure is nice and good looking, but I am just not really into cf personally.

The denim Micarta one though - man, what a beautiful knife!! :grin-big eyes
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:57 am
abbazaba wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:42 am

The black one sure is nice and good looking, but I am just not really into cf personally.

The denim Micarta one though - man, what a beautiful knife!! :grin-big eyes
Funny about the smooth scales on this knife... While I think the Sage5 has the best comp lock implementation to date, the new angled chamfer on the lock tab kinda pushes the knife out of your hand when unlocking if the scales are slippery. Didn't notice until the CF were on it, but it's definitely a thing for my butter fingers. As nice as the new chamfer feels, I hope they keep the tab as is in Golden.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:04 am
Funny about the smooth scales on this knife... While I think the Sage5 has the best comp lock implementation to date, the new angled chamfer on the lock tab kinda pushes the knife out of your hand when unlocking if the scales are slippery. Didn't notice until the CF were on it, but it's definitely a thing for my butter fingers. As nice as the new chamfer feels, I hope they keep the tab as is in Golden.
I have noticed that too. Same little chamfer on the Kapara. All the little details Taiwan puts into these models are great and bring them up a notch, but I do wish they would leave that chamfer off the lock tab.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I don't own a Sage 5 and I probably won't own one, but dang those are some gorgeous aftermarket scales and beautiful knives.
Skidoosh

Post by Skidoosh »

I just put on the parson's scales. I really like them but agree they are a bit slick but I am going to wear them a while. They really change the knife.
agm

Post by agm »

Seems like a good time to show off some alternative Sage5 scales. And - yeah... I wished they would do a run in a different steel soon.

Bocote Wood scales
Original Carbon Fiber
Desert Ironwood
OD Green Micarta
Glow in the Dark (daytime)
Glow in the Dark (at night)

Love my Sages... :smiling-heart-eyes
fixall

Post by fixall »

Seafoam Green Ripple Crosscut G-Carta. Spencer from Karbadize made these for me. :)

Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:16 am

I’ll second that…the sage 5 in their micarta is my most carried 3”. The m4 sage 5 in their carbon fiber is my favorite 3” knife of all time. It’s so nice that I rarely carry it…and I’m not a “safe queen” type either.

Every time they get a shipment in, I pick up another set…keep ‘em around for possible sage 5 lw releases.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

agm wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 1:25 pm
Seems like a good time to show off some alternative Sage5 scales. And - yeah... I wished they would do a run in a different steel soon.

Desert Ironwood
OD Green Micarta
Love my Sages... :smiling-heart-eyes

Oh man, I can see why you love ´em - to me personally the Ironwood and the Micarta one are just "jaw droppingly" gorgeous!

Said it before: The Sage 5 is the only comp. lock Spydie that really intrigues me these days (and I am actually not even into folders that small! ) and by design the "better Para 3"