Advice Needed on Shaman CPM 15V Edge Damage

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mtice2

Advice Needed on Shaman CPM 15V Edge Damage

Post by mtice2 »

Hello, I am new to the Forum. I’ve been a Spydie collector a long time but this is my first post here. I recently purchased a used Shaman 15V from an online seller. The knife appeared to be in like new condition with excellent action and rock solid lock up. I really love this knife and I’m excited to use the 15V. However, upon closer inspection I found the edge at the tip was rolled. I have no idea what was done since the rest of the edge is factory razor sharp with no damage (possibly dropped on its tip?). Interesting it rolled rather than chipped from what I have read about this 15V. Attached are pics. I am going to keep it because I paid just under the release price for it and love the knife. I am a little concerned since the rolled edge is right at the tip. For those with experience sharpening this 15V, can you give me your opinion of the severity of this edge damage and how hard it’s going to be to repair? I only have a Sharpmaker with ceramics so I will need to upgrade. Any thoughts on the severity of the damage and repair of it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attachments
IMG_4499.jpeg
IMG_4505.jpeg
Michael Janich

Re: Advice Needed on Shaman CPM 15V Edge Damage

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear mtice2:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I wouldn't do anything special, just sharpen it. The problem will resolve itself eventually.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

That's not bad damage. It looks as if it may have been dropped tip down. I'm also impressed that it rolled given the hardness of the steel. It'll eventually disappear with sharpening and stropping.

I accidentally dropped a maxamet para 3 the other day and lost the edge near the very tip, but it will also be easy to repair with normal sharpening. If on a budget (and you are comfortable freehand sharpening), I'd recommend picking up some 4 inch DMT diamond stones (course, medium, fine, and extra fine). It's an inexpensive way of moving to diamond. I typically start a spyderco CBN freehand and then move to the little DMT plates.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

With getting 15V it would be helpful to get a set of Diamond or CBN stones for your Sharpmaker. The would be helpful in just everyday sharpening. Having this slight damage could be a good excuse to order some.

This is pretty minor damage and just sharpening should fix it. You can even try on your brown stones and see what happens, you can't really damage it just take your time. I would use the back of the Sharpmaker and lay your brown stones flat. Try to hold the knife at 17 degrees and concentrate on the tip until your edge comes back. Move to the regular V position for some lite sharpening and you should be good.

Enjoy the knife and let us know how you made out.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
mtice2

Post by mtice2 »

Thank you for the great advise everyone. Super excited about this 15V that Shawn and Spyderco have brought to the market for us Spyderco fans. I really like the compression lock and was always a Paramilitary 2 guy but now having a Shaman I really dig it. I will definitely pick up some diamond or CBN rods for the SM.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

So minimal, I wouldn't even sweat it. I'm sure you could fix that with your brown rods. Such a small area, even being 15V and brown rods I bet you could get that fixed up in 20 minutes.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

I agree, sharpen and use! You should find that this 15V sharpens extremely well. The factory edge is just a starting point.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Get yourself some diamond rods for your Sharpmaker and they should clean that up in a jiffy.
Justintoxicated

Post by Justintoxicated »

It's ruined, you should sell it to me so I can dispose of it properly.
mtice2

Post by mtice2 »

I was able to remove the damaged steel on the edge pretty easily with the SM brown rods. The edge definitely needs more work though. If I stick with the SM, would you suggest diamond or CBN rods? I prefer to bot go the freehand sharpening route as I’m a novice and don't want to go down the rabbit hole of lots of different sharpening stones. Prefer the K.I.S.S approach..lol
Justintoxicated

Post by Justintoxicated »

mtice2 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:17 pm
I was able to remove the damaged steel on the edge pretty easily with the SM brown rods. The edge definitely needs more work though. If I stick with the SM, would you suggest diamond or CBN rods? I prefer to bot go the freehand sharpening route as I’m a novice and don't want to go down the rabbit hole of lots of different sharpening stones. Prefer the K.I.S.S approach..lol
You prefer to go about the hand shapening route?

I don't know the answer to that one.

I used a KME with diamond stones on my 15v mule and the results were great. I figured I may as well invest in a easy to use guided system if I'm going to have more than just some budget knives.
vivi

Post by vivi »

there's nothing simpler than free hand. I can touch up my EDC in less than two minutes. Most sharpening jigs will take longer than that just to set up. It's a rabbit hole worth diving into head first if you ask me.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I agree with Vivi, especially if you're going to be someone that wants to touch up often and maintain a sharp edge. An overall cool skill to have, not many non knife nerds can pull it off.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

mtice2 wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:17 pm
I was able to remove the damaged steel on the edge pretty easily with the SM brown rods. The edge definitely needs more work though. If I stick with the SM, would you suggest diamond or CBN rods?
You'll be able to take off material a little bit faster with the diamond rods, which will be helpful in doing edge repairs. For mostly typical maintenance sharpening, though, I'd go with CBN, its slightly lower hardness can give you a bit more room for error if you're still learning the SM (it is easy to put too much pressure & damage your edge when you're still getting the nuances of the SM).

Whatever you go with will be good, as they're both more than hard enough to effectively sharpen all of the crazy-high vanadium super steels in current Spyderco production models, up to & including Maxamet.