Model request: Enuff in S7 steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Model request: Enuff in S7 steel

Post by vivi »

From my casual observations on edge performance and durability, I'd have to agree with Sal that toughness is more important on serrated edges.

For example I find 8Cr and H1 pretty comparable in PE edge retention. But H1 seems to outcut it in SE, partially because it deforms less and chips less as it gets worn down from use.

It would be interesting to hear more about the low end and high end performers on the CATRA tests!

The Mule idea is interesting. Definitely not the ideal platform for a maxed toughness style steel, but it would get it in a lot of peoples hands and give them a good baseline comparison. Even though they're not choppers, you could still get some feedback by say, batoning hardwoods with one and a 15V Mule, batoning them through mild steel etc.

One thing that's been good about this thread is people talking about the different ways edges can wear. It's not always going to be about pure abrasion resistance. An S7 knife can outcut a 15V knife in certain applications. An H1 knife can outcut an S7 knife in others. Right tool for the job, or in this case the right steel. 15V for breaking down lots of cardboard, S7 for chopping, H1 for dive knives. All good, just different.
:unicorn
emanuel

Re: Model request: Enuff in S7 steel

Post by emanuel »

I honestly don't see the point of S7 in a knife this small and for what it can be used. I'd much rather have Magnacut as a steel option. I've never had issues with serrations "snapping off" due to lack of toughness ever, from S30V and LC200N, to VG-10 and H1.

VG10 already is more than tough enough and you'll have a difficult time breaking this knife as is, while also having substantially better edge retention than S7 coupled with corrosion resistance. If you really want toughness just for the sake of it, there are better, and more balanced options. AEB-L and Niomax come to mind.