Spyderco should make more calys.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tristan_david2001

Spyderco should make more calys.

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Not quite sure how to start off here. but I just wanted to vent out a bit of love for this design and explain why this series of models are special. they deserve to have more variations and should be a priority in spydercos production in my humble opinion.

Spyderco knives started out as mid size back lock folders with sleek ergonomic profiles specially functional for edc pocket carry. I think the calypso jr and caly3 basically takes that premise and ticks it up a notch in performance, and combines sals most utilized folding knife design features; flat ground leaf shape blade at a negative angle, a thumb ramp, index-finger choil, and a very traditional, fairly neutral handle shape with a rounded palm swell & hooked downward pommel. The result is a beautiful, elegant & form-follows-function design for an edc folder that begs to be held and cut with. All the knives in this series (including the kopa) deserve to come back, the spirit of this design performs exceptionally in all of its size configurations. But from my point of view, the two mid sized calys, the 3 & the Jr. I would especially love to see come back. I think those 2 models are especially important because of their size and their role in use. For what most people in the world need an edc knife for in our modern day, and especially your average urban lifestyle people. A 3” bladed folder or even smaller is all that’s needed most of the time, generally speaking. These knives are important. Personally i can’t help but feel it’s a little bit of discredit of spyderco with how it feels like these designs have been swept under the rug for quite awhile, at the same time my favorite knives being kinda rare and underexposed has its charm. But ultimately these knives are too great to be undervalued by the larger crowd of spyderco fans. Rant over.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Wartstein

Re: Spyderco should make more calys.

Post by Wartstein »

I never had any Caly, but from all I can see they are a great "family".

Actually though my favorite would be the 3.5... I do like to have choices with a lot of edge in a compact handle, and the Caly 3.5 is the only Spydie WITH finger choil I know of that even (just so so) beats the Stretch 1 in "edge to closed length ratio".

With the Caly 3.5 one literally gets a PM2 length edge and a finger choil in a Delica sized handle!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I don't think they have swept it under the rug. In fact, last year in "Talkin Story" Sal detailed out some of the challenges.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92355&start=40
I do think we will see more in time. There is a 4" Caly in prototype stage. I believe that is the model Sal once referred to as the more refined Calypso.

Probably just a waiting game. Doesn't seem like any other factory has the capacity to move it to either.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:32 am
I don't think they have swept it under the rug. In fact, last year in "Talkin Story" Sal detailed out some of the challenges.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92355&start=40
I do think we will see more in time. There is a 4" Caly in prototype stage. I believe that is the model Sal once referred to as the more refined Calypso.

Probably just a waiting game. Doesn't seem like any other factory has the capacity to move it to either.
It probably is. I just hope once manufacturing availability opens back up that a calypso design is prioritized
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Tristan_david2001

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:26 am
I never had any Caly, but from all I can see they are a great "family".

Actually though my favorite would be the 3.5... I do like to have choices with a lot of edge in a compact handle, and the Caly 3.5 is the only Spydie WITH finger choil I know of that even (just so so) beats the Stretch 1 in "edge to closed length ratio".

With the Caly 3.5 one literally gets a PM2 length edge and a finger choil in a Delica sized handle!
I own all the Calys in the family, they’re all excellent. Definitely recommend trying the 3.5
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Based on what Sal said about a possible Calypso sprint request, my guess is we would probably see the Calys prioritized. Especially since they are developing a new 4" design to coincide with the 3 and 3.5.

Personally, I would love some new variants of the 3.5 with G10 scales and a LW option. At this point, I would take almost any new 3.5 version.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Give the UKPK a try and I bet you'll be satisfied!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I'm waiting for the new 3.5 UKPK
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:26 am
I saw your comment on my post of my UKPK the other day...that sounds very intriguing.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Tristan_david2001

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:09 am
Give the UKPK a try and I bet you'll be satisfied!
I would be very happy with the design but not by the action, it wouldn’t bother me terribly but I just prefer having it lock open solidly. that hollow ground drop point version in grey frn looks most intriguing version of the ukpk to me
Tristan_david2001

JSumm wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:26 am
Doesn’t UK laws prohibit pocket knives over 3” blade length?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tristan_David,

The Caly "Family" has been produced by the same maker since the beginning. I worked with the father and the sons and now Eric is working with the Grandson. We would like to keep the same maker making the models.

The maker has has some difficulties over the past decade, but seems to be getting slowly back on track. We have given them a few new and old designs to work on (Caly 3.5 FRN, Caly 4.0, pendants, Temperance, etc.) and we'll continue to do so. They are still making Caly 3.5 models, albeit slowly. We've also drawn a Caly 2.5 version.

What is needed now is patience.

FYI, the UK 3.5 is actually a CPK 3.5 made for the Canadian market and will be made in Golden.

sal
Tristan_david2001

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:06 pm
Hi Tristan_David,

The Caly "Family" has been produced by the same maker since the beginning. I worked with the father and the sons and now Eric is working with the Grandson. We would like to keep the same maker making the models.

The maker has has some difficulties over the past decade, but seems to be getting slowly back on track. We have given them a few new and old designs to work on (Caly 3.5 FRN, Caly 4.0, pendants, Temperance, etc.) and we'll continue to do so. They are still making Caly 3.5 models, albeit slowly. We've also drawn a Caly 2.5 version.

What is needed now is patience.

FYI, the UK 3.5 is actually a CPK 3.5 made for the Canadian market and will be made in Golden.

sal
Hi Sal! I’m happy to have gotten your attention and I greatly appreciate the reply from you, the new upcoming plans for the family sounds very exciting. My apologies if I had come off whiney or impatient, I realize the maker issue isn’t at fault of spyderco, I just wish this family of knives got the recognition it deserves. I deeply admire your design work in general & especially on the Caly family, I’m very eager to see them return in the future
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the kind words. I have to be aware of the fact that some of my designs, while I think are good, attract a smaller audience than others. Many of my designs I create for my preferences. The Caly family are such a group. Not as attractive to a large market base, but appreciated by those that share my own personal design and manufacturing preferences.

sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I arrived a little too late to have easy access to models in the Caly line, but it’s a design that fits very well with my preferences.
While I prefer smaller knives, even the 3.5 will be very hard to ignore if/when it becomes available in FRN or pretty much anything other than CF. Even a 4” isn’t out of the question in this design. A 3” or 2.5” doesn’t even require consideration. It’s unavoidable.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I would definitely love a Caly 3.5 or 4, LW. I think many of us would.
Tristan_david2001

It’s nice to see many replies with people’s positive experience with the design, sounds like they might not be as undervalued as I initially assumed. Once you really “get” them, I think they become very beautiful looking knives just as well as they are great performers with their blade geometry and ergonomics. The balance between the “funky” spyderco aesthetic and a very refined functional tool.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

The Caly 3 and UKPK are two models that I instantly connected with after unboxing. Their ergonomics are exceptional, and I feel like every time the Caly line is brought up, it is praised pretty unanimously. While they may not sell as many units as other models, those who own them seem to love them.
So it goes.
Tristan_david2001

Airlsee wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:06 pm
The Caly 3 and UKPK are two models that I instantly connected with after unboxing. Their ergonomics are exceptional, and I feel like every time the Caly line is brought up, it is praised pretty unanimously. While they may not sell as many units as other models, those who own them seem to love them.
You’re correct, the only thing is they are quite rarely brought up. Obviously that is due to their lack of production time and availability, but it has kinda created the illusion that they are not as popular and therefore just receiving less fans of the design from lack of exposure
Tristan_david2001

aicolainen wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:21 pm
I arrived a little too late to have easy access to models in the Caly line, but it’s a design that fits very well with my preferences.
While I prefer smaller knives, even the 3.5 will be very hard to ignore if/when it becomes available in FRN or pretty much anything other than CF. Even a 4” isn’t out of the question in this design. A 3” or 2.5” doesn’t even require consideration. It’s unavoidable.
If a 2.5” is your personal preference, there is the kopa in case you weren’t aware. while not technically the same family in name, they share the same characteristics and spirit of design. While also not easy to access unless you go looking on the secondary market, all the old models are priced quite high but the latest sprint from 2018 would cost you significantly less.