Really liking S90V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: Really liking S90V

Post by Bemo »

Those smaller carbides, IIRC, add to edge stability as well correct?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

This thread is NOT helping my S90V envy. Have missed owning a sample of it several times...someone always scoops me. I guess my competition knows how good it is and is willing to spend to get it...!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the looks of the PPT, but it is heavier than it should be. I wish they'd reintroduce this knife in S90V in a lighter weight format, say in the 3 oz. range. I didn't like the scales much, either. This knife cries for brown Micarta.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Erion,

Welcome to our forum. I suggest you consider Sharpmaker. It will teach you and offer you success of a sharp edge as well.

On steels; S90V is one of my favorites as well. Just the right combination of "stuff" to make a good foundation for an edge. FYI, it was developed for coal chutes. We're pleased to be able to offer it to you in production pieces.

sal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Continual improvement is our evolutionary obligation to humankind"
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Erion929 wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:40 pm
Every time I read to stay away from certain steels….in this case, due to sharpening difficulty….others come along with a love of that steel :hot-face

So, is it hard to sharpen, or exaggerated rumor? :face monocle
It’s no harder to sharpen than most and distinctly easier than some. For frame of reference I resharpened my S90V Yojumbo today to hair shaving sharp on my KME in under five minutes. It wasn’t a totally ruined edge so I didn’t have to remove any dints or anything, but it’s comparable to Magnacut or cruwear for me (which are both pretty friendly to sharpen). For frame of reference K390 is the easiest to sharpen in my experience, and M398/S110V a bit more effort, but that’s just my experience so take it with a pinch of salt.

I wouldn’t hesitate to sharpen S90V on my sharp maker or any other system with decent abrasives. It takes a stropping and polish real nicely too if you want a mirror edge.

Have a great day,
Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:02 am
I love the looks of the PPT, but it is heavier than it should be. I wish they'd reintroduce this knife in S90V in a lighter weight format, say in the 3 oz. range. I didn't like the scales much, either. This knife cries for brown Micarta.
I am carrying the Siren s90v carbon fiber backpacking today. 3.3oz
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:17 am
Doc Dan wrote:
What do you think about it? It looks like a great design.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

dull&blunt wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:13 pm

But I'm still a sucker for 14C28N, 12C27, or NitroV. I really wish Spyderco would try some of those steels on their budget line.
I hear you, especially the 14C28N. It is a solid steel and very tough. I have a couple of fixed blades in this steel and I really like using them.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

Erion929 wrote:
Every time I read to stay away from certain steels….in this case, due to sharpening difficulty….others come along with a love of that steel :hot-face

I find it hard to sharpen compared to most if not all stainless steels.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Erion929 wrote:

Probably just people using the wrong abrasives. Diamond or CBN stones will make quick work of S90V no problem in my experience.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Guts wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:34 am
Erion929 wrote:

Probably just people using the wrong abrasives. Diamond or CBN stones will make quick work of S90V no problem in my experience.
BINGO!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Thats definitely the issue.

I've never found s90v any harder to sharpen than s30v. It may take a little longer, but its not any harder and the increase in edge retention more than makes up for the few extra minutes of sharpening.

S90v also seems to strop back better than s30v, in my experience.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

How does S90V respond to the Spyderco ultra fine ceramics?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:33 pm
I haven't given either of mine a full reprofile to this point, but I have used a UF stone for a couple passes to clean things up after touching up on the browns. Seems to do the trick, notice a slight difference.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

p_atrick wrote:
It's not going to be as sharp as it could be compared to if you use diamond or cBN.

The hardness of the ceramic abrasive is 79rc
The hardness of the chromium carbide in S90V is 81rc
The hardness of the vanadium carbide in S90V is 87rc
The hardness of cBN and diamond is 94 and 100rc respectively.

So 22% of the matrix is carbide that is harder than the ceramic abrasive.

The remaining 78% of the steel is mostly tempered martensite (65rc) and some retained austenite (15rc) which is significantly softer than the ceramic abrasive.

That's why it seems like you can get away with using ceramic but just won't be as sharp if you do a side by side with a quality diamond/cBN abrasive and your technique is solid.

This is one reason out of many why we have people complain that they can't seem to get the knife as sharp or that the edge retention is not as good as they had hoped is people refusing to accept the reality that you should use an abrasive harder than all of the constituents in the matrix If you are trying to shape the apex as sharp as possible.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:39 am
Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:17 am
Doc Dan wrote:
What do you think about it? It looks like a great design.
Just got back. I held one at a knife store and had to have one. The design fits my hand perfectly. There is almost no choil so no wasted cutting edge. I thing 3.6 in blade, 3.5 cutting edge, and light.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

Erion929 wrote:

S90V is one of my favourite steels. If all my knives were S90V I wouldn't be sad.

Using DMT stones it really isn't difficult. It feels like it responds well to sharpening. As someone else said, it also strops back really well.

I'm not that good at sharpening but S90V and XHP are my favorites because I can get them sticky sharp consistently and easily. Sure VG10 sharpens easily but it looses that scary sharp feeling pretty fast whilst S90V stays sharp forever.

I used my S90V Native as my only knife for a six week vacation and me and my wife used it for cooking and absolutely everything. I wanted to use it until it became very noticeably dull despite stropping and that took about four-five weeks. Most of you would sharpen earlier but i really wanted to see when it goes beyond usable. Amazing performing steel!
/ David
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:54 pm
p_atrick wrote:
It's not going to be as sharp as it could be compared to if you use diamond or cBN.

The remaining 78% of the steel is mostly tempered martensite (65rc) and some retained austenite (15rc) which is significantly softer than the ceramic abrasive.

That's why it seems like you can get away with using ceramic but just won't be as sharp if you do a side by side with a quality diamond/cBN abrasive and your technique is solid.

This is one reason out of many why we have people complain that they can't seem to get the knife as sharp or that the edge retention is not as good as they had hoped is people refusing to accept the reality that you should use an abrasive harder than all of the constituents in the matrix If you are trying to shape the apex as sharp as possible.
This really helped me! Great explanation Shawn.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

Foehammer wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:51 pm
gooeytek wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:54 pm
It's my favorite steel. I find myself carrying the S90V versions of the Spydercos that I have, over the other steel types.
This one today, Manix 2 yesterday. Looking for another Ti Military to do a blade swap for my S90V version :D

That’s one of the best looking Spydercos I’ve ever seen! What is it?
Thanks, it's a Spyderco PPT that I had a Ti framelock conversion done on, then I torch-etched it :grin-big eyes
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:54 pm
p_atrick wrote:

That's a clip-and-save explanation! Very useful information. Makes me rethink (and reject) my final pass on the Ultra Fine sharpmaker stones after using diamonds to get there. Thanks Shawn!!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189