Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
toomanyquestions

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by toomanyquestions »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:55 am
I noticed yesterday that the textured FRN has shredded the 5th pocket and the edge of my front pocket on my jeans where it's been rubbing. As much as I love the grip of my ZDP S2 and my N5 as well, I think I'll have to avoid carrying both of those to preserve my jeans. Short of making sheaths for both, I don't see any other solution.
Did you happen upon any other solutions? My first thought was some light sanding, perhaps with 400 grit +/-.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:40 pm
I’m in for a Delica , Endela , Endura G10 . MG2
Am I seeing the XL correctly, the handles have been radiused?
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:09 am
Did you happen upon any other solutions? My first thought was some light sanding, perhaps with 400 grit +/-.
That's not a bad idea, I might try that eventually. I picked up a K390 Wharncliffe D4 in mid April and it hasn't left my pocket since. It's getting more pocket time than my K390 PM2, Pro-Tech SBR, and my small Sebenza combined (those are my GO TO edcs). I wish I'd bought one years ago.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 6:50 am
toomanyquestions wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:09 am
That's not a bad idea, I might try that eventually. I picked up a K390 Wharncliffe D4 in mid April and it hasn't left my pocket since. It's getting more pocket time than my K390 PM2, Pro-Tech SBR, and my small Sebenza combined (those are my GO TO edcs). I wish I'd bought one years ago.

Great choice! My Wharnie Delicas get carried 99% of the time. Such a great knife! Hoping for one in Cruwear, Cru-carta, and G10/Cruwear.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

toomanyquestions wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 9:22 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:40 pm
I’m in for a Delica , Endela , Endura G10 . MG2
Am I seeing the XL correctly, the handles have been radiused?
Image Every picture tells a story . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I got mine yesterday, I directly fell in love with the design.

I don't have the Lanyard issue but the lockbar doesn't sit flush when the blade is open and there's a defect in the backspacer.
For 320€ it is a bit disappointing. I'm sure the lockbar will sit more flush after some time. But for the backspacer not much can be done, it's something that can't be taken in picture very well, it's faceted at one spot, certainly a cutting bit that was used up.

Still, what a knife it is ! The blade has an even cleaner grind than the SS Stretch 2. It is a beauty and the weight just feels perfect for its size.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Have you taken your knife apart? There may be dust, grime or possibly excess loctite in the works that's keeping the lock bar from settling into place. It's worth a look. No ideas to offer on the back spacer though.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
Stas

Post by Stas »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:23 pm
I got mine yesterday, I directly fell in love with the design.

I don't have the Lanyard issue but the lockbar doesn't sit flush when the blade is open and there's a defect in the backspacer.
For 320€ it is a bit disappointing. I'm sure the lockbar will sit more flush after some time. But for the backspacer not much can be done, it's something that can't be taken in picture very well, it's faceted at one spot, certainly a cutting bit that was used up.

Still, what a knife it is ! The blade has an even cleaner grind than the SS Stretch 2. It is a beauty and the weight just feels perfect for its size.
Feel sorry for the quality issues you got. Any chance you could return it and get another one? I see at least two EU dealers have them in stock.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Stas wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:57 am

Feel sorry for the quality issues you got. Any chance you could return it and get another one? I see at least two EU dealers have them in stock.
I've written an e-mail to Lamnia, just to see how they would react. I know K&T or other dealers would send me a shipping label and send me a new one pretty easily, but I never had to do so with Lamnia !
CrustyOtter wrote: Have you taken your knife apart? There may be dust, grime or possibly excess loctite in the works that's keeping the lock bar from settling into place. It's worth a look. No ideas to offer on the back spacer though.

That's what I thought at first. I did not disassemble it just in case I had to ask for an exchange, but I still made sure that there wasn't anything in the way by cleaning thoroughly (isopropryl alcohol, blow thingy, the whole thing). Seems like the lockbar can be pushed a tiny bit down but that the spring isn't hard enough to do it by itself. Even then it's not totally flush. I guess it could easily be fixed by me. I tried to take better pictures today, but the tiny facet on the show scale liner and backspacer is extremely hard to take a picture of :squinting-tongue

In that picture it just merely shows the thing, I can't manage to show more :woozy

Anyways, I want this knife with me, pairs perfectly with my baby Horn !

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Stas

Post by Stas »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:09 pm
Stas wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:57 am

I've written an e-mail to Lamnia, just to see how they would react. I know K&T or other dealers would send me a shipping label and send me a new one pretty easily, but I never had to do so with Lamnia !
I never did a return to Lamnia, but once I had a concern about finishing quality of my Caly 3.5 I got from them and they were so helpful and kind enough to even take a photo of all other examples they had in stock for me too see if they are any better. I kept mine and keep buying from them.
You are cool with this dealer :)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Stas wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:08 pm
I never did a return to Lamnia, but once I had a concern about finishing quality of my Caly 3.5 I got from them and they were so helpful and kind enough to even take a photo of all other examples they had in stock for me too see if they are any better. I kept mine and keep buying from them.
You are cool with this dealer :)
Thanks a lot for your feedback, it is actually good to read ! I just hate to send back pricy items in case there is any issue during transit, but I fell in love with this design and even if it'll be a user, I want it to be "flawless" before getting battle scars :squinting-tongue

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I got to play with this one a bit at Blade Show. It is just as awesome as everyone says it is. From ergos to the weight balance. Incredible blade. May be the best thing Spyderco has going right now.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:36 pm
I got to play with this one a bit at Blade Show. It is just as awesome as everyone says it is. From ergos to the weight balance. Incredible blade. May be the best thing Spyderco has going right now.
until it's in damascus and blue nishijin!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:47 pm
JSumm wrote:
I actually handled that one as well. It is incredibly gorgeous. And for anyone considering it, I would jump on it. We will probably never see that material again. It will be and incredible piece for the collection. For me, it is the Cruwear G10 model all the way!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:28 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:47 pm
JSumm wrote:
I actually handled that one as well. It is incredibly gorgeous. And for anyone considering it, I would jump on it. We will probably never see that material again. It will be and incredible piece for the collection. For me, it is the Cruwear G10 model all the way!
I agree such a beautiful knife a complete package to send off the supply of the scales . Just not for me but I’m sure many others will appreciate it . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JSumm wrote:
The weight balance was the most impressive thing to me. As soon as I got it in hands I knew it will become a very special knife for me. Maybe even my favorite !
The Native 5 has played the game and keeps winning, but lately its grind has been bothering me :winking-tongue

Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I have finally purchased a S2XL in Cruwear.

What a knife! I've held off on this one for awhile because this is well outside of my comfort range price wise, and so I saved up to grab it. It helped that National Knives (one of my top few favorite dealers) was offering it on sale, and so I jumped on it once funds were available. I'm glad I did!

Thoughts after a few days of carry.
1. I love the slim feel of the handle, and also the non-perscriptive handle with Stretch's well known wonderful ergos.
2. I really like the Lightweight too, but definitely appreciate the stout feel of the liners and G10. Different feel and balance than the lightweight, and feels great.
3. Overall lines of this model is classic Spyderco and in my opinion, one of the best looking knives Spyderco makes. Like the Military, the slightly negative blade angle is also greatly appreciated.
4. I don't need to go into the benefits of Cruwear, but it's great for what I like. This one is ground real well too, and so cuts awesome.
5. Nice action and drops closed with a wrist flick. Excellent.
6. Good fit and finish. I asked National to check for one that wasn't hitting the lanyard tube, and they accommodated me (Thanks!). Centering is spot on.
7. The greatness of the Stretch 2 XL design... Military blade length in a PM2 sized package with the (IMO) superior back lock. And the very best ergonomics!

Anyway, I love mine. Probably didn't add anything to the overall conversation that isn't already known, but wanted to add to the chorus singing this model's praises!

:cheap-sunglasses
MNOSD member 0030
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I for one always love seeing this thread bumped with more praise for the "knife of the year" IMO!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It is really great! I knew I wanted one, but getting my hands on one a couple of weeks ago solidified it in my mine. It is going to be considered one of the greats.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:49 pm
I for one always love seeing this thread bumped with more praise for the "knife of the year" IMO!
First day getting mine , crappy day , but XL made it all better . Took advantage of the weather before changing clip to lefty . Love this knife . Dan
Henry David Thoreau