MT22P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with RWL 34

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
MacLaren

Re: MT22P - Mule Team Fixed Blade with RWL 34

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Excitedly sharp
Very good ;)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Got the Halpern scales today - Rosewood Dymondwood 3D version. Highly recommend! Very comfortable
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Beautiful scales! The Rosewood looks great with the 3D texturing. :)
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

That looks real nice Spydergirl, good choice. :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:Image
Got the Halpern scales today - Rosewood Dymondwood 3D version. Highly recommend! Very comfortable
Awesome job!!
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Though I wish I could have gotten one of these I am pleased to read the comments on RWL-34 as my experience with the steel in customs eco a lot of sentiments.

It remains one of Des Horn's favorite steels and he introduced me to it. It is IMO, one of the steels with the best balance of properties.
IXLER8

Post by IXLER8 »

Used it harder then I normally would. Still no clips or rolls.
I am more and more impressed with this steel.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Thanks for the review, IXLER8. I'd like to see this steel in a Manix 2 or other folder, with the same heat treat of course.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

IXLER8 wrote:Used this for a full day convex.Much better.
Not to start a war here but : I think most of those that do not like convex edges have never owned or used one. or not a proper one.
I'm 100% with you on the convex IXLER8. More than 60% of my Spydies are convexed. Some have a full height convex close to a zero grind (Superblue Stretch and Caly), others have a lower, more robust convex (Tuff), others are in-between (PM2's, Millies, Sage etc). All of them cut with noticeably less effort than the V-edges because they have much less thickness and drag around the bevel shoulders. Few people seem to like them these days, I am not sure why.

It's good to hear your positive remarks on RWL-34. I have a few Mules in other steels, but will wait for a folder in this steel.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Self Taught

Post by Self Taught »

sal wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 pm
Hi IXLER,

I am impressed by both your test and your presentation. This is the kind of stuff we all like as feed-back , especially from materials that have not had an opportunity to do the "cut dance".

Thanx much.

sal
I battoned with a steel hammer through 2x4s. It’s tough. It’s my main fixed blade. I feather, Baton, food prep when camping and have not had a single issue. Went hunting and field dressed, skinned three deer with no edge problems. Cut through the rib cage, severed the spine, and took it through the ball joints (so many scary scraping sounds). Not a problem. No chips. Mostly shaving sharp even after all of this. It blows my s30v out of the water. And stops back on basic green compounds. It’s my favourite steel. It takes a lickin and keeps on tickin
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

It's funny, I had the opposite experience with the RWL 34 Mule.
My 3 first edges were really chippy ! I'm on the 4th edge right now and it is already better.

Still experience some micro-chipping from normal use, but it seems that there was a lot of fatigued steel there. I know RWL34 since it is often used by french makers. It's an excellent steel, very cool stainless !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Self Taught

Post by Self Taught »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:56 am
My 3 first edges were really chippy ! I'm on the 4th edge right now and it is already better.

Still experience some micro-chipping from normal use, but it seems that there was a lot of fatigued steel there. I know RWL34 since it is often used by french makers. It's an excellent steel, very cool stainless
I have had it chip when I put a worksharp precision adjust edge on it. Idk if the angle but maybe it was too steep or maybe grit got into my sheath. Never had a problem from freehand. And I had a wicked polished convex edge on it at one point and it never had a problem and sliced like a dream. Could be just a burnt edge
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Self Taught wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 7:19 am
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:56 am

Still experience some micro-chipping from normal use, but it seems that there was a lot of fatigued steel there. I know RWL34 since it is often used by french makers. It's an excellent steel, very cool stainless
I have had it chip when I put a worksharp precision adjust edge on it. Idk if the angle but maybe it was too steep or maybe grit got into my sheath. Never had a problem from freehand. And I had a wicked polished convex edge on it at one point and it never had a problem and sliced like a dream. Could be just a burnt edge
When I reprofiled I used the work sharp too (with stone holder, venev resin bonded diamond stones and a stabilizer under the clamp). Then freehand, same experience as you. I just reprofiled it yesterday but forgot to take pics 😅.

This time i did not have any chipping occur during reprofiling. I think I chose 16° per side, and since its a stainless I kept the grit low. F240 is my go to for 14C, Nitro-V, S30V...

Ill keep posting updates 😀
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds