Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
horzuff

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by horzuff »

Maybe this means they are finally close to release :pleading
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just noticed that the catalog pic is now of a combo edge version, that was just changed today (I may or may not be stalking the catalog page).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

HolySteel wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:20 pm
Stas wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 2:03 pm
I’m planning to pick up CF s90v Military 2 sprint in 2030 :winking-tongue
I'm grabbing the forest green CruCarta Sprint this Fall. But...not canceling my KC waitlist.
Ok excuse my ignorance, but is this a thing?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think my first Millie 2 will be a digicam + dlc model. Stoked to see so many options in the reveal.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Finally an SE Millie will exist again... I might have to stock up this time . Let's hope I don't hate the millie 2! The original SE Millie is my all time Favourite.

... just ye old 440v can be a pain in the behind to sharpen.

J
FB04PBB, C07FS4K390, C12GS, C12SBK2, C36GS, C36GTIP, C36CFM390P, C36CFTIP, C36GPBORE, C41BKPS, C44GP&SGY, C46PS, C46GPBK, C52BKP, C52FPGYE, C63G3, C65TIP, C70S, C81FG, C81GS2, C81CFM4P2, C83BM, C83GP2, C101GP, C101GPS, C101CF90VP2, C105, C134CF, C151GODTiPBK
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Millie 2 is showing both partial and full serrations in this Reveal. Interesting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Saucerito wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:53 am
Evil D wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 10:46 am
Screenshot_20230525_124027_Samsung Notes.jpg

Looks like some tiny serrations. I'm a little hesitant about tiny serrations after a couple bad reprofile jobs. I hope these come in at or less than 15 degrees.
Could be a photoshop issue. The partially serrated version has different teeth but the two images started off the same. You can tell if you look closely at the details of the image that they’re the same.

They're all Photoshopped. If you look close you can see the exact same grind lines on all of the blades, even the DLC which you wouldn't see on a production DLC blade. I'm guessing those serrations were taken from pics of the Police 4.

Screenshot_20230526_115444_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20230526_115647_Samsung Notes.jpg
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Any new Glesser launch will normally (provided I like it) get my money because, on principle, I want to add to the demand for more variations.

This time ‘round, I’m gonna sit back and see what Military2 variations emerge. Don’t need SE; don’t want digicam; don’t like painted blades. And, I already have a ton of S30V…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

But, I sure want to hear more about how the Military2 performs, and particularly how it compares to the original. In other words, what separates the Military2 in the right direction?
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:31 am
But, I sure want to hear more about how the Military2 performs, and particularly how it compares to the original. In other words, what separates the Military2 in the right direction?

The problem with the Military 1 is "satisfaction is the death of desire". If you actually manage to make something perfect, even subjectively so to those who believe it is indeed perfect, they no longer need to buy it because they already have it and it's perfect so why would I need more? And so there goes your profits on that thing. There is a need for improvement or progression or some kind of change even in something that is perfect.

I think if they did nothing else but give it a 4 way clip option, they would have seen sales jump. Changing the lock is a calculated risk, there are a lot of loyalists but it's safe to say the Compression Lock has a solid following so even if we only assume that there's equal popularity for both locks, the change in locks shouldn't hurt sales, and I suspect it'll be quite the opposite. I think the most controversial change may actually be the ergonomics, because to me that really is the defining characteristic of the Military, even less so than the lock design (I know, dare I say it). I am most concerned about how different it might feel in hand.
~David
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Boker's website says that they are waiting the Military 2 for August. If thats right, it should be here for you way sooner 😉
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 10:44 am
wrdwrght wrote:

....I think the most controversial change may actually be the ergonomics, because to me that really is the defining characteristic of the Military, even less so than the lock design (I know, dare I say it). I am most concerned about how different it might feel in hand.

I also almost don´t dare to talk about the Millie lock once more :grimace :smirk , but I think you can´t really completely separate "change in lock type" and "change in ergos" here, right?

On the "high resolution level" we are discussing knives in general and ergos in particular the switch from liner- to comp.lock will make at least a difference in ergos - just cause the lock cutouts for liner- and comp.lock are different and in different places (and both of course not what one would do when designing the most comfortable fixed blade handle)

- For some it might just be noticable, but won´t matter.

- Some might prefer that there is no large linerlock cutout anymore (I may quote Vivi from another thread on this
vivi wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 5:47 pm
Military 2
.....no large cut-out for the lock release where my index finger grips, deeper choil etc.

- Some, like me and as far as I recall also you on the other hand can find the complock cutout uncomfortable in "harder" use
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:07 am
Evil D wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

....I think the most controversial change may actually be the ergonomics, because to me that really is the defining characteristic of the Military, even less so than the lock design (I know, dare I say it). I am most concerned about how different it might feel in hand.

I also almost don´t dare to talk about the Millie lock once more :grimace :smirk , but I think you can´t really completely separate "change in lock type" and "change in ergos" here, right?

Well it just becomes subjective. I may be more willing to accept a different lock than you are. It's not a right or wrong discussion really, just preferences vs preferences. Yes there are ergonomic differences between the two locks, but what's ok with me is different than what's ok with you. I actually like the Compression Lock, but I may not like this knife as much in hard use as the Military 1. Gotta see how that hot spot issue is first.

Truth be told, I am somewhat disappointed that the Military 2 didn't come with the Power Lock.
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:21 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 11:07 am
Evil D wrote:
wrdwrght wrote:

Well it just becomes subjective. I may be more willing to accept a different lock than you are. It's not a right or wrong discussion really, just preferences vs preferences. ...

This is where we completely agree. :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Evil D wrote:
The problem with the Military 1 is "satisfaction is the death of desire". If you actually manage to make something perfect, even subjectively so to those who believe it is indeed perfect, they no longer need to buy it because they already have it and it's perfect so why would I need more? And so there goes your profits on that thing. There is a need for improvement or progression or some kind of change even in something that is perfect.
I'm not a Military 1 guy - I have one and it just isn't my favorite in that size/type of knife; however, I ordered a Military 2 ... just because :). I think Spyderco is perfectly safe with this design change; however, it surprises me that they are stating that it definitely will be a 'production' change. Why not do a Sprint and then decide based on customer reaction?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:

Truth be told, I am somewhat disappointed that the Military 2 didn't come with the Power Lock.
You heard it folks, time to start the Military 3 drumbeat! 🥁🥁🥁

:rofl
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:34 pm
Evil D wrote:

You heard it folks, time to start the Military 3 drumbeat! 🥁🥁🥁

:rofl
(redacted)

Edit: I did not recall correctly... Misremembered and thought there was a Power Lock Military 2 prototype, but after double checking, it was in fact the Stop Lock Military 2 prototype that I was remembering.
-Nick :bug-red
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

Evil D wrote:
I saw the perfection of the Miltary model, so I desired spares. I have 3 Militaries, all satin S30V basic models. Two sit unused in the box just in case something happens to the one I've been using since the CQI updates.

I will say that the CQI update to the Military truly improved on the design, the old threaded aluminum backspacer begged to be stripped and the bushing pivot, so long as the washers and the bushing are the perfect thickness from the factory, is wonderful to open and close.

I'll have more if they ever upgrade the base steel to S45VN, or do sprint runs in AEB-L or Magnacut that don't have goofy colored handles.
JackRussell

Post by JackRussell »

I have a left-handed Military and would love to get a left-handed Military 2 as well. However, I won't be holding my breath. I suspect lefty models are financial losers for Spyderco.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JackRussell wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 3:50 pm
I have a left-handed Military and would love to get a left-handed Military 2 as well. However, I won't be holding my breath. I suspect lefty models are financial losers for Spyderco.
I suspect the lefty will eventually follow like the original , just a matter of patience . I do think the righty will actually work better than the righty PM2 due to size . MG2
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Fri May 26, 2023 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

HolySteel wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:28 pm
Evil D wrote:
I'm not a Military 1 guy - I have one and it just isn't my favorite in that size/type of knife; however, I ordered a Military 2 ... just because :). I think Spyderco is perfectly safe with this design change; however, it surprises me that they are stating that it definitely will be a 'production' change. Why not do a Sprint and then decide based on customer reaction?
They don't need to. This knife is going to sell like hot cakes. They're obviously confident too, hence we already have satin, dlc, pe, ce, se, and digital camo models announced before they've hit the shelves.

This is going to be a flag ship model for them with sprint after sprint.
:unicorn