Spyderco hardware origin.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phaust

Re: Spyderco hardware origin.

Post by phaust »

gunmike1 wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 6:55 am
WyoJon wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:07 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:49 pm
Agreed about the quality of the torx screws. I genuinely enjoy my Spyderco fanboy life, but I think this is a criticism they should take note of as it is quite possibly the weakest link in their otherwise amazing product.
One other link. Spyderco charges for clips, and clip screws like we tried to break them.

Benchmade, has quality screws. Benchmade kershaw zt and buck all send me clips and any screw i want free, anytime i ask, no questions. Benchmade has sent me dozens of clips for knives, just because i wanted deep carry clips for some. Even asking for the deep carry clip for one model for a different model, they will confirm it fits and send it, free. Been that way for years. Zt will send you half a knife for free. No questions asked. When i pay $200 for a native 5, i think spyderco could do this too.
Benchmade no longer sends out free clips, they charge you for them these days. Thus it cost me $10-$11 to get a low ride clip for my Super Freek. Their blade replacements all now cost dramatically more than the $35 they used to. Many are $80 plus now.
They're free if you get the same clip the knife came with I believe. If you want a different type is when they charge. Seems fair
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

phaust wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 7:43 am
gunmike1 wrote:
WyoJon wrote:
abbazaba wrote:
Agreed about the quality of the torx screws. I genuinely enjoy my Spyderco fanboy life, but I think this is a criticism they should take note of as it is quite possibly the weakest link in their otherwise amazing product.
One other link. Spyderco charges for clips, and clip screws like we tried to break them.

Benchmade, has quality screws. Benchmade kershaw zt and buck all send me clips and any screw i want free, anytime i ask, no questions. Benchmade has sent me dozens of clips for knives, just because i wanted deep carry clips for some. Even asking for the deep carry clip for one model for a different model, they will confirm it fits and send it, free. Been that way for years. Zt will send you half a knife for free. No questions asked. When i pay $200 for a native 5, i think spyderco could do this too.
Benchmade no longer sends out free clips, they charge you for them these days. Thus it cost me $10-$11 to get a low ride clip for my Super Freek. Their blade replacements all now cost dramatically more than the $35 they used to. Many are $80 plus now.
They're free if you get the same clip the knife came with I believe. If you want a different type is when they charge. Seems fair
That is possible on getting the same clip free. The post I quoted specifically talked about getting low ride clips from other knives sent out for free.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I think it'd be weird to get fasteners with US threads from some other country? Not impossible I guess. Maybe I've missed part of the gist of the thread.

US Spydies have US threads. Taiwan uses fairly common metric screws. Japan use metric though the M2.3 that the Japanese knives use is honestly pretty odd. M2.3 screws aren't very common, at least in the US.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:22 am
Guaranteed, there is a 100% chance that the cost of all those "free parts" is factored into the sale price you pay when you buy the knife.
Kershaw's parts service is great. Fill out web form, receive parts in the mail. However, I seemed to need parts way way too often. They seemed happy enough to send me extras of parts I broke frequently. I would prefer them not to break in the first place.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cjk wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:30 pm
Evil D wrote:
Guaranteed, there is a 100% chance that the cost of all those "free parts" is factored into the sale price you pay when you buy the knife.
Kershaw's parts service is great. Fill out web form, receive parts in the mail. However, I seemed to need parts way way too often. They seemed happy enough to send me extras of parts I broke frequently. I would prefer them not to break in the first place.

Yeah I've had great experiences with Zero Tolerance parts too, they sent me a pivot bolt/nut, assisted opening spring and clip "for free", I just don't believe anything is ever truly free, they're accounting for that cost in the price of the knife and then if you never need it you've paid more for nothing. Yeah maybe other brands are cheaper than Spyderco, that's irrelevant because others cost more. It's just a different business model than Spyderco uses.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cjk

Post by cjk »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:49 pm
cjk wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:30 pm
Evil D wrote:
Yeah I've had great experiences with Zero Tolerance parts too, they sent me a pivot bolt/nut, assisted opening spring and clip "for free", I just don't believe anything is ever truly free, they're accounting for that cost in the price of the knife and then if you never need it you've paid more for nothing. Yeah maybe other brands are cheaper than Spyderco, that's irrelevant because others cost more. It's just a different business model than Spyderco uses.
Yep, agree. One definitely pays for those parts on the front end rather than on the back end.
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

gunmike1 wrote:
WyoJon wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

Never been an issue for me. Has the last one in 2022. Maybe its only for people with more extensive collections. I had shipped autos in a few times for service, and always bought from dealers, so they knew what I had.
sal

Post by sal »

We did that for a while until we learned that there were many people getting clips for other than Spyderco pieces.

sal
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I did notice my clip screws on my PM2 striped fairly easy, I was a bit surprised. But as always Spyderco rocks and sent me a new set with some locktite free. Great company.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
sal

Post by sal »

We work with 3 different screw machine vendors and we're always trying to improve.

sal
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

WyoJon wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 12:58 pm
gunmike1 wrote:
WyoJon wrote:
abbazaba wrote:

Never been an issue for me. Has the last one in 2022. Maybe its only for people with more extensive collections. I had shipped autos in a few times for service, and always bought from dealers, so they knew what I had.
I have had many free clips sent from Benchmade in the past. I had to pay for the clip in March of 2023, and I believe the change in policy is recent. I know it was fairly recent that the $35 replacement blades went up to in most cases double to triple that cost. You can call and see if they will send you a free clip from a different knife, and maybe they will due to your extensive collection, I don’t know. Per what I was told by their customer service rep their new policy is to charge for clips even though they’d sent me at least 5 in the past for free. If you get one for free let us know.
Danke

Post by Danke »

sal wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 1:59 pm
We did that for a while until we learned that there were many people getting clips for other than Spyderco pieces.

sal
I built a fence at the old house entirely out of pocket clips.

Not sorry.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

sal wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:24 pm
We work with 3 different screw machine vendors and we're always trying to improve.

sal
It could have also been me being too rough on the screws putting them in (2 of 3 stripped) but generally I am very careful. It just takes a bit of cross threading and you're done. While it did suck that they stripped, I am very happy the screw stripped and not the liner. I am guessing they are made with that in mind that the threads on the screw will give before the threads on the liner. It seems like a real challenge with the size of the screw and how little of the threads actually engage the liner to hold a clip on.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

Danke wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:52 pm

Hardware is from Mars. Knives are from Venus.
:rofl
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

VashHash wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:26 am
Maybe someone should start a hardware complaint thread. I just want to know where the hardware comes from.
Why? What are you going to do with that information? Why do you care where the robot that manufacturers Spyderco’s machine screws is?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

zhyla wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 11:38 pm
VashHash wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:26 am
Maybe someone should start a hardware complaint thread. I just want to know where the hardware comes from.
Why? What are you going to do with that information? Why do you care where the robot that manufacturers Spyderco’s machine screws is?
I like to know where things are made. Are usa made spydercos made with usa made hardware?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It's a valid question.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
sal

Post by sal »

Usually.

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Next thing someone will ask where the carbon, iron, vanadium, cobalt, tungsten, chrome, g10 fibres, titanium, frn, and all other metal and natural parts come from as well? :woozy :worried :usflag
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Also valid questions. Of course, outside of contractual requirements, no one need answer them. That said, with money getting tighter and tighter, some people are getting much more selective as to where their patronage goes.

Spyderco has always sourced internationally & domestically, so I cannot imagine there would be any surprises.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001