Military 2 (PRE-ORDER) posted on KnifeCenter $196

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
JackRussell wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 2:28 pm
To reiterate, a Military without a liner lock is not a legitimate Military in my eyes -- it's a PM2XL. It's an "emperor has no clothes" scenario. However, Spyderco clearly has the right to name their knives with whatever moniker they choose.
Agree, like many. Happy for those waiting for the new XL.
vivi wrote: Sal, you hear that? You aren't allowed to name your own designs, the folks here know better :rofl :rofl :rofl
I assume you´re really just kidding, Vivi :smirk, otherwise, with all due respect, I don´t think that´s fair.

I am completely with you on that the "will this feel more like a Millie 2 or a PM4/PM2 XL" - discussion has been led more than excessively already. I too personally have no need for more of it.

I (of course!) also totally think that Spyderco knows better than we all do how to name and promote a new knife and (of course!) has every right to do so - but then that is literally what JackRussel said in his post (see below).

That said:
People who value that great and rather unique Millie choil and a high quality linerlock, and happen to find those features to be defining ones for the Millie, might easily think that the Millie 2 will probably feel subjectively more like a PM2 XL than a Millie - to them.
And again, that´s actually what Jack Russel said ("in MY eyes ... it´s a PM2XL")
/
IF that horse would not have been beaten to death already - tbh, I´d find an hypothetical discussion about if people here think that a PM4 perhaps could be even more attractive to the market than a Millie 2 actually interesting. :beaming-face (but I would neither start nor join one... :grimace - dead horse, as said... ;) )

JackRussell wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 2:28 pm
To reiterate, a Military without a liner lock is not a legitimate Military in my eyes -- it's a PM2XL. It's an "emperor has no clothes" scenario. However, Spyderco clearly has the right to name their knives with whatever moniker they choose.
dan31 wrote: Agree, like many. Happy for those waiting for the new XL.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mushroom

Re: Military 2 (PRE-ORDER) posted on KnifeCenter $196

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 6:26 am
Sal, you hear that? You aren't allowed to name your own designs, the folks here know better :rofl :rofl :rofl
:rofl

Apparently, the liner lock is the only defining characteristic of the Military Model.
-Nick :bug-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:20 am
vivi wrote:
Sal, you hear that? You aren't allowed to name your own designs, the folks here know better :rofl :rofl :rofl

Apparently, the liner lock is the only defining characteristic of the Military Model.

Apparently all that defines it is the name? Since you can change the lock and blade shape and handle shape and as long as you give it the same name and maybe squint a little bit it's the same 🤷🏼‍♂️

Oh, well it's the same but with a "2". Even though it's literally just a bigger version of that other knife and will share more in common with that knife than with the Military 1.

They should name it the Spyderco Ship of Theseus. If it starts out as a Military but one by one the details get changed, and by the end of the journey you change them all but the name, did you end the journey with the same vessel? 🤔

They can call it the Spyderco Chocolate Milkshake GTR VSpec 3000 for all I care.

I definitely can't wait to put it side by side with a Para 2 though and just laugh and laugh and laugh 😂
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Mushroom

Re: Military 2 (PRE-ORDER) posted on KnifeCenter $19

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 8:50 am
Mushroom wrote:
vivi wrote:

Apparently all that defines it is the name? Since you can change the lock and blade shape and handle shape and as long as you give it the same name and maybe squint a little bit it's the same 🤷🏼‍♂️

Oh, well it's the same but with a "2". Even though it's literally just a bigger version of that other knife and will share more in common with that knife than with the Military 1.

They should name it the Spyderco Ship of Theseus. If it starts out as a Military but one by one the details get changed, and by the end of the journey you change them all but the name, did you end the journey with the same vessel? 🤔

They can call it the Spyderco Chocolate Milkshake GTR VSpec 3000 for all I care.

I definitely can't wait to put it side by side with a Para 2 though and just laugh and laugh and laugh 😂
Do you feel better now?

The quote being responded to was literally - “To reiterate, a Military without a liner lock is not a legitimate Military in my eyes…”

But yeah, enjoy your Spyderco milkshake or whatever it is you're talking about.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:00 am
Evil D wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
vivi wrote:

Do you feel better now?

The quite being responded to was literally - “To reiterate, a Military without a liner lock is not a legitimate Military in my eyes…”

Oh I definitely feel better to get that off my chest. I almost feel like I owe you a bill for therapy now. It was far more satisfying than screaming into a pillow or writing an angry letter and ripping it up.

Lighten up Francis it's just a discussion forum. We can all agree to disagree and all that.
~David
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:05 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:00 am
Evil D wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Do you feel better now?

The quite being responded to was literally - “To reiterate, a Military without a liner lock is not a legitimate Military in my eyes…”

Oh I definitely feel better to get that off my chest. I almost feel like I owe you a bill for therapy now. It was far more satisfying than screaming into a pillow or writing an angry letter and ripping it up.

Lighten up Francis it's just a discussion forum. We can all agree to disagree and all that.
At this point, I have no idea what you’re even trying to get at. My original response was meant to be tongue in cheek and you took it way too literally. But yeah, you're right, I need to lighten up. :woozy

Call the Spyderco Military™ 2 whatever you want, I couldn’t care less. Personally, I like to call it what Spyderco calls it. Hence the reason why I'm often one of the only people to refer to the Military Model by it’s full name.
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Honestly I always saw the liner lock on the military as less than ideal even though I own several of them in different steels but it was perfect for it's time of development and the comp lock should be just fine in fact better even in many ways. I have been carrying a S30V PM2 DLC Wharncliffe exclusively for months now and there is no issue with the comp lock at all.

I know Vivi has had bad experiences with comp locks while jogging and I get it I have had them also on a PM2 Drop Point but oddly enough not the Wharncliffe. Hope they make a Wharncliffe Military 2
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:49 am
At this point, I have no idea what you’re even trying to get at. My original response was meant to be tongue in cheek and you took it way too literally. But yeah, you're right, I need to lighten up. :woozy

Call the Spyderco Military™ 2 whatever you want, I couldn’t care less. Personally, I like to call it what Spyderco calls it. Hence the reason why I'm often one of the only people to refer to the Military Model by it’s full name.

Man I don't even know I thought I was being being funny like you and Vivi but I guess not. I'll leave you guys to your 🤣's now.
~David
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Context is so hard online sometimes.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Foehammer wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:14 am
Context is so hard online sometimes.

It sure is. You can't tell when 🤣 means "haha that was a genuinely funny comment that I found humorous and I'm letting you know that I found it funny" and not "I think what you just said is stupid but I'm not supposed to outright call you stupid because of community guidelines so I'm using this laughing emoji as a way of saying it" which is typically the way it's used these days. I suspect a bit of both in this case but whatever.
~David
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Spyderco milkshake? It’s definitely going to bring all the boys to the yard.

Sorry… I’ll see myself out now.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Henceforth, I will refer to the M2PM2XL Model of 2023 (M2PM2XLMo2023) as the Milkshake. :face monocle
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

You could call the Military 2 the Zippity Doo-Dah 1, or any other name, and it’ll still function the same as a matter separator.

🙂

Jim
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m in the mood for a Chocolate Milkshake (15V BBB Military 2).

Or a Blueberry Shake (Spy27 Military 2).

Or a Blackberry Shake (All black Spyderedge Military 2).

Maybe a Strawberry Shake (4V Red Military 2)?

How about an Orange Shake (CutleryShoppe exclusives).

I think my names need more work before I go adding any new items to the menu.

I’m likely gonna end up with more than one Military and not all of them will have a compression lock.

I think the Military is going to prove to be a more refined design in various ways, and I appreciate that Spyderco continues to refine their products. However, I also appreciate many things about the Military Model. I’ve always had a passion and appreciation for evolution which means I enjoy the roots as much as do the branches.

It also means I’m not so good at picking favorites.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

I could go for an orange shake!

Also wouldn’t mind a grape shake! (DLT purple and DLC blade)

And how about a light coffee shake? (S35vn satin blade)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
cjk

Post by cjk »

Freediver wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 11:21 am
Spyderco milkshake? It’s definitely going to bring all the boys to the yard.

Sorry… I’ll see myself out now.
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

This nickname has a chance of sticking.
Justintoxicated

Post by Justintoxicated »

Thinking about purchasing the military 2. I really liked my Para 2 with Tanto (BHQ Exclusive), but the clip failed and before I could correct the clip (bend it back), it fell out of my pocket and I lost it. I'm thinking this might be a good replacement for it even though it's obviously somewhat different.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i think i'll hold out for the milkshake 2 in an upgraded steel.

this thread got spicy.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

Lil Native, Manix XL & mini, Sage, Chinook.....so many Spydercos have been given different locks and still retained the same name.

Sal named it the Military 2, so it's the Military 2. Get over it :rofl
:unicorn