What Knife would benefit from a button release.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: What Knife would benefit from a button release.

Post by Bemo »

mongo1958 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 6:46 am
Bemo wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 5:12 am
riclaw wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:13 pm
Sage 6.
Love this idea since it's in the spirit of the Sage series.

I know Sal said he had designed a button lock but it never got into production. They seem to be having a resurgence right now so the timing might be beneficial.
Check out the Smock,
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C240CFP/1205
Got it in M4 from BladeHQ. Great knife.

I don't equate the button comp lock with a button lock. Definition of terms issue. Looks like Sal addressed it already.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

MetalsHead wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:24 am
Easy a button lock on a compression lock knife for lefties. Take a (righty) Para 3/PM2, and make a lefty button-lock scale.
I knew I had seen aftermarket button lock PM2s but was thinking it would be backwards to how it normally unlocks.
A quick search turned up the bladeswelove ‘PM2 ultra’ where they use lefty PM2s for right handed button lock conversion.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I would have to try the button to see if it’s a big deal for me, but I can’t imagine it would be as reliable as the standard compression lock for avoiding accidental disengagement.
That security/reliability is probably a major consideration for Spyderco, especially on knives that are designed for “hard use” or Martial Blade Concepts.

I, however, definitely think I would prefer the ergonomics of button-style comp locks because there’s no cutouts. There’s obviously some advantages for lefties and fidgeting.

I like controlled closings, but I don’t know how feasible some methods are with the button comp lock.

There’s also some design limitations, so not every comp lock knife would work with a button.

All those things, make this question somewhat not straightforward for me to answer.

I’ve designed a few knives to potentially work with button comp locks, but I still question if that’s the right configuration to go for. I’m still formulating my opinion of button-style knives in general. I don’t have much experience using them or know what quirks of the style would work or not for me.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
WyoJon

Post by WyoJon »

None. Because buttons always end up on the right side where they are unusable.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

WyoJon wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:10 pm
None. Because buttons always end up on the right side where they are unusable.

How so? :thinking

Honest question, I figure that for a lefty it should be as easy to press the button with the thumb as it is for a righty to do so with the index finger (when the button is on the right handle side)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Cl1ff wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:32 pm
I would have to try the button to see if it’s a big deal for me, but I can’t imagine it would be as reliable as the standard compression lock for avoiding accidental disengagement.
That security/reliability is probably a major consideration for Spyderco, especially on knives that are designed for “hard use” or Martial Blade Concepts.

You could be very well right, but then the only two accounts I personally can recall where a lock was accidentally disengaged so that the blade got unlocked completely during "hard use" / really bearing down on the handle was with (regular, not button of course) comp. lock Spydies...

(To be clear: Not saying that the comp.lock is "unsafe" in use by any means! I think all Spyderco locks are way safe enough and it is extremely unlikely to unlock a blade during use with comp., liner, back, caged ball bearing - locks.
The above is just what I recall.)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

This is just my opinion, but I feel that button-locks are a fad that will slowly start to die down as the market gets over-saturated and the next "hot" thing comes out (I predict something involving magnets, like the Winter Blade Co. Factor)

In my opinion, the same thing happened with cross-bar style locks once the Axis-lock patent expired, and we ended up with too many knives with cross-bar style locks, and nobody was innovating elsewhere in the market since it was a mad-dash to get something out.
Current Collection
Chaparral (LW, Stepped, Stealth, Sun & Moon), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 4:58 pm
Hi MetalsHead,

Welcome to our forum.

On the button lock; When I invented the original Compression Lock, we added the button option to the patent. We didn't use it for a number of reasons. To make models into Button Compression Locks would require all new tooling. A the time, "Gravity Knives" were considered switch-blades and were illegal to buy, sell build, import, etc. There are many countries where a Button Compression Lock would be illegal.

We'll consider the request.

sal

This sounds like the original design used the lock as the blade detent? Meaning if you press the button while closed it releases the blade to swing out, aka gravity knife? Or do you mean that the law would just lump it into that category anyway? Sounds a lot like how I imagine a manual version of the Plunge Lock would work. I'm sure the market for automatics is small but you guys really are hitting home runs with the Autonomy series, you really should expand on them. More and more states are making automatics legal.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

DansGearAddiction wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 11:59 pm
This is just my opinion, but I feel that button-locks are a fad that will slowly start to die down as the market gets over-saturated...

Perhaps you are right, but imo the button comp.lock is not so much about the button as such and is not "just another" button lock, but rather about eliminating two possible cons of the comp.lock:

- The not ideal usability with gloves or cold/greasy/sweaty/wet fingers

- The hotspot that the comp.lock cutout can create.

So not just another button lock, but rather a comp.lock 2.0 - ?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would say if it's a fad, it hasn't even really caught on yet with all of two options out there to choose from. Consider the fact that there aren't any fancy steel Para 2's with this feature, there aren't yet custom scales to go along with it, there aren't yet a slew of flippers that feature it...the fidget crowd will lose their minds over this. Maybe all of these things are collectively a fad and will die out in a few years, but there is still a mountain of money to be made until then. You can't convince me that a button compression lock Para 2 in MagnaCut and carbon fiber or whatever fancy scales they used wouldn't be a monster seller. I don't think we can accurately base the popularity of this on the Smock and Para 2 Ultra alone, neither of which I bought and I'm one of the supporters of this idea. I'm the example that shows it's not necessarily the idea, it's the delivery. I want it, but not in either of the two available flavors.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 7:50 am
I would say if it's a fad, it hasn't even really caught on yet with all of two options out there to choose from. Consider the fact that there aren't any fancy steel Para 2's with this feature, there aren't yet custom scales to go along with it, there aren't yet a slew of flippers that feature it...the fidget crowd will lose their minds over this. Maybe all of these things are collectively a fad and will die out in a few years, but there is still a mountain of money to be made until then. You can't convince me that a button compression lock Para 2 in MagnaCut and carbon fiber or whatever fancy scales they used wouldn't be a monster seller. I don't think we can accurately base the popularity of this on the Smock and Para 2 Ultra alone, neither of which I bought and I'm one of the supporters of this idea. I'm the example that shows it's not necessarily the idea, it's the delivery. I want it, but not in either of the two available flavors.
Your comments make a lot of sense . A PM2 with a button would be a monster in sales a revitalization of the model . I like the idea as a lefty , so much easier in operation . I like my Smock but agree it is not for everybody and totally different to make a comparison. If it ever happened I would buy more than one regardless of scales . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

Any of the compression lock knives would benefit from a button!
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis ... 553672.pdf

There appears to be four alternate Compression Locks. See Figures 14-17. Interestingly, many of Sal's patents not only show what is eventually created, but also the innovative possibilities of what could be.

True Button Locks (button plunger with internal spring) ..... think automatic knife's actuator and lock button or the button lock as used by William Henry Knives, could also be used on Spyderco designs. Only design testing would define its lock strength and optimal positioning. :thinking

nb
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Bemo wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 7:10 pm
mongo1958 wrote:
Bemo wrote:
riclaw wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:13 pm
Sage 6.
Love this idea since it's in the spirit of the Sage series.

I know Sal said he had designed a button lock but it never got into production. They seem to be having a resurgence right now so the timing might be beneficial.
Check out the Smock,
https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C240CFP/1205
Got it in M4 from BladeHQ. Great knife.

I don't equate the button comp lock with a button lock. Definition of terms issue. Looks like Sal addressed it already.
It is not a button lock. It is a compression lock with a button release.
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

mongo1958 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:16 am
Bemo wrote:
mongo1958 wrote:
Bemo wrote:

This.
And thus for me personally just an even better, better usable and ergonomically speaking superior compression lock ( - version).
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

-Nick :bug-red
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:44 am
mongo1958 wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:16 am
Bemo wrote:
mongo1958 wrote:

This.
And thus for me personally just an even better, better usable and ergonomically speaking superior compression lock ( - version).
Yup, I'm not asking that every compression lock be made into a button release. I'd love to see a few select knives with the button release. Or, supply a kit to convert a knife to a button release.
Mongo1958
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 9:58 am
When Spyderco collaborates with BladesWeLove to make a production version of the PM2 Ultra, its going to be a game changer.

https://bladeswelove.com/product/pm2-ul ... tock-clip/

https://bladeswelove.com/product/pm2-ul ... -n-bronze/

https://bladeswelove.com/product/pm2-ul ... tock-clip/
Wow! Far out!
😍😍😍
Those are awesome.
I already have a new favorite.
Mongo1958
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Any compression lock flipper would be the most benefitted. Amalgam, yes please.

After that, everything else...
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »