Does anyone here ride motorcycles?!?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

Re: Does anyone here ride motorcycles?!?

Post by Naperville »

Mad Mac wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:09 pm
On Directv, 214 MAVTVHD is showing Hitting the Apex
An exploration of the battle for supremacy between
six MotoGP riders, produced in 2015 and narrated by Brad Pitt.
An excellent two and half hour documentary.
Thu, May 4, 1:00a and 4:00a.
Watched the movie. Have it recorded too so I may watch it again. It was fantastic. MotoGP seems huge in Europe. Wish that it attracted more coverage here in the USA.

Interesting stats from around the WWW:
MotoGP Premier Class
Min Motorcycle weight 157 Kilos(345.4lbs)
Max Displacement 1000cc

Lightest Rider 61 Kilos(134.2lbs)
Heaviest Rider 72 Kilos(158.2lbs)
Shortest 5ft-6in
Tallest 6ft
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Naperville wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 5:16 am
Mad Mac wrote:
Watched the movie. Have it recorded too so I may watch it again. It was fantastic. MotoGP seems huge in Europe. Wish that it attracted more coverage here in the USA.

MotoGP Premier Class
Max Displacement 1000cc

Shortest 5ft-6in
Tallest 6ft
Since you are not far away the Peoria TT and Springfield Mile are great racing on dirt . I highly recommend seeing both if you get a chance . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Still loving the Honda Africa Twin!

Here in the foothills and forests of the Victorian Alps, east of Melbourne, Aus.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:51 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mad Mac wrote:

MotoGP Premier Class
Max Displacement 1000cc

Shortest 5ft-6in
Tallest 6ft
Since you are not far away the Peoria TT and Springfield Mile are great racing on dirt . I highly recommend seeing both if you get a chance . Dan
I definitely will keep it in mind. I have a folder on my web browser for local events. I'll look them up and toss a bookmark in there so that I don't forget.

Once in my life I'd like to go to the Grand Nationals Drag Races, MotoGP and World SuperBike races, and a F1 race. They are on my bucket list!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Naperville wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:21 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 4:51 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mad Mac wrote:

MotoGP Premier Class
Max Displacement 1000cc

Shortest 5ft-6in
Tallest 6ft
I definitely will keep it in mind. I have a folder on my web browser for local events. I'll look them up and toss a bookmark in there so that I don't forget.

Once in my life I'd like to go to the Grand Nationals Drag Races, MotoGP and World SuperBike races, and a F1 race. They are on my bucket list!
I hear you buddy ! Mine is the Isle of Man .
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
remnar

Post by remnar »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 11:04 pm
Still loving the Honda Africa Twin!

Here in the foothills and forests of the Victorian Alps, east of Melbourne, Aus.

Love the photos. Thanks for sharing Brock O Lee! :sport-bike
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:28 pm
I hear you buddy ! Mine is the Isle of Man .
That would be fantastic as well!
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Do dirt bikes count?

My 09 Yamaha ttr230. Not very fast stock, but I uncorked it; bigger jets for the carb, air box modded and high flow air filter. Exhaust baffle removed. And proper front sprocket, it was geared waaay to low. Power wise it feels close to a 250f. Now she’s a beast off road.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Foehammer wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 6:04 pm
Do dirt bikes count?

My 09 Yamaha ttr230. Not very fast stock, but I uncorked it; bigger jets for the carb, air box modded and high flow air filter. Exhaust baffle removed. And proper front sprocket, it was geared waaay to low. Power wise it feels close to a 250f. Now she’s a beast off road.
Yes! I've never ridden a dirt bike but I'm game with all the right MX gear. I'd probably still come close to if not break a collar bone. Have to make sure I don't hospitalize myself.

:winking-tongue

My problem is I like riding fast. No, not that fast, REALLY FREAKING FAST! That could be hazardous to my health on a dirt bike given I've never ridden one. I may be too old for any more shenanigans on motorcycles(63 now, been 20yrs since my last ride), but I am above ground so why not!

I've done so many insane things on motorcycles, I feel like a cat with 9 lives. :smlling-eyes
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Naperville wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:02 pm
Foehammer wrote:
Do dirt bikes count?

Yes! I've never ridden a dirt bike but I'm game with all the right MX gear. I'd probably still come close to if not break a collar bone. Have to make sure I don't hospitalize myself.

My problem is I like riding fast. No, not that fast, REALLY FREAKING FAST! That could be hazardous to my health on a dirt bike given I've never ridden one. I may be too old for any more shenanigans on motorcycles(63 now, been 20yrs since my last ride), but I am above ground so why not!

I've done so many insane things on motorcycles, I feel like a cat with 9 lives. :smlling-eyes
I know what you mean. I love the feeling of perfectly shifting through gears; a screaming motor being unleashed to the ground as you rapidly accelerate. But I’m somewhat scared of motorcycles; the highways here are scary.

Plus honestly I prefer being off road and away from cities and people. Just me and my machine. Can’t wait for my brother to get a dirt bike again though, I miss our rides together.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Foehammer wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:43 am
Naperville wrote:
Foehammer wrote:
Do dirt bikes count?

I know what you mean. I love the feeling of perfectly shifting through gears; a screaming motor being unleashed to the ground as you rapidly accelerate. But I’m somewhat scared of motorcycles; the highways here are scary.

Plus honestly I prefer being off road and away from cities and people. Just me and my machine. Can’t wait for my brother to get a dirt bike again though, I miss our rides together.
The fastest I've been is whatever the 2001 GSX-R750 tops out at on a 10 mile road. The speedometer said 187 but others have said that isn't likely.

I'd like to break 225 to 250 MPH minimum on a Japanese Supersport before I croak.

Do you believe this streetable Ducati? Full carbon fiber frame/chassis, nothing but the best. $100,000! If I win the Lotto, I'll buy 3 or 4 of them and build one out.

https://www.ducati.com/ww/en/bikes/pani ... leggera-v4
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Excellent!!! I’ve always ridden naked bikes to avoid too much temptation, but looove the sight & sound of a hooligan screaming down the by-pass!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Foehammer wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 6:43 am
Naperville wrote:
Foehammer wrote:
Do dirt bikes count?

I never owned a car that accelerated like my GSX-R750. It's a total gas. You only need 1/2 a mile, an on ramp of a highway to feel the power.

I prefer to ride where and when there are few cars. Cars and motorcycles do not mix. You're rolling the dice every time that you get on a motorcycle and cars make matters much worse.

Have to watch your speed around cars, or they will bury you.

I never did stoppies, wheelies....guys would pop them all of the time but it's reckless around others. I confined my shenanigans to empty roads and empty highways most of the time.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Africa Twin on a recent blast through a local forest.

I'm fitting soft luggage this week, for a weekend trip with a mate from university on his Suzuki DR650. We are planning to explore mostly forest and gravel roads in Gippsland, Victoria, AU.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Hydrashok

Re:

Post by Hydrashok »

46Alpha wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:33 pm
2006 Honda VFR800, mah baby :D I do some tack days, commute and some med to long distance touring.

Fully loaded for a weekend trip out to the Catskill Mnts.

Niiice, a friend of mine has a vfr 750 I’ve always coveted
Attachments
IMG_4052.jpeg
IMG_4024.jpeg
IMG_3938.jpeg
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Great to see the love for the Honda VFR 😃

First week of September I went for 8 days of motorcycle camping in the French Alps, the "Route des grandes Alps". From the Netherlands via the Jura, Alps all the way to Nice. Spectacular scenery and lovely weather.

PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Found this unicorn model, only produced one year during BMW's ownership of Husqvarna before KTM took over and discontinued it.

Husqvarna TR 650 Terra

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I love motorcycle but at 63 may not own a Japanese Supersport again. I really like the Italian Supersports too, but they're really pricey.

The reason why I like them is because I always wanted to own a Ferrari, McClaren or Lamborghini and it's the cheapest way to get the power/torque to weight ratio.

There are no mountain roads where I live and riding the twisties in Northern California was the best.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:32 pm
I love motorcycle but at 63 may not own a Japanese Supersport again. I really like the Italian Supersports too, but they're really pricey.

The reason why I like them is because I always wanted to own a Ferrari, McClaren or Lamborghini and it's the cheapest way to get the power/torque to weight ratio.

There are no mountain roads where I live and riding the twisties in Northern California was the best.
A back road ride to Road America in Wisconsin is a great ride . Central Illinois roads are mostly straight line and boring , some county roads can be fun .
Henry David Thoreau
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:57 am
Naperville wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:32 pm

A back road ride to Road America in Wisconsin is a great ride . Central Illinois roads are mostly straight line and boring , some county roads can be fun .
I've been to Road America and Broadway Bobs(Might be closed? I don't know.) I drag raced my 1st motorcycle at Broadway Bob's in Union Grove in the early 80's. It was a Kaw GPZ-550, punched out to 600cc's, with tons of work done to the engine and motorcycle. It still was slow with me on it at 190lbs, a 13.05 in the qtr, but it was fun. Fast for the 80's.

I worked for a Kawasaki Dealership back in the 80's. Dated a girl for little while who's father owned a Porsche dealership. They were heavily involved in Road America.