New Backpack

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
RugerNurse

New Backpack

Post by RugerNurse »

Hi all,

I'm starting to browse for a new hiking backpack, nothing big, maybe around the size of the 5.11 Rush 12. Any recommendations?
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
JSumm

Re: New Backpack

Post by JSumm »

I bought a Gregory Citro 24L over a year ago. They make them in all different sizes. It has the suspension frame (trampoline) and one of the best water bladders IMHO. I have really enjoyed it. It is tall and thin which I prefer.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

The rush 12 and rush 24 are my go to bags. Even serve as my “luggage” Since I don’t own suitcases. Rush 12 is good for me for 2-4 days and the rush 24 is my bag for 4-7 days. Even flying, all I take is a backpack with me. The 10 is a good day pack And have used it for several hikes. Been using the same 3 bags for years. Still work perfect.

Are you looking for something else besides the 12? I actually enjoy the 10 cuz you can roll it around to your front and access stuff without taking it off.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

So many options! If it's for day-to-day schlepping, it depends on size, how/if you like organization, multiple pockets, etc. I don't like multiple pockets, I just like a simple bag, preferably one that doesn't unzip too far (less stress on the zipper, stuff doesn't fall out when you're on a chairlift, etc), so I adore the Petzl Bug.

If you are looking to get into Ultralight backpacking, hang out at backpackinglight.com > community > forum for good recommendations on packs.

If you want a deal, and aren't too picky, watch Sierra Trading Post.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

RugerNurse wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 3:49 pm
I'm starting to browse for a new hiking backpack

There are so many considerations... suspension, straps, zippers, pockets, padding, etc. I would avoid no-name brands. They might copy the features of the big-names, but the execution isn't going to be as good. It would be like buying a Spyderco clone.

You mentioned the Rush12. At first sight, I'm biased against it. It's got webbing sewn all over it, velcro, and heavy material. For me, none of that is necessary, and I don't like unnecessarily heavy gear.

Camelbak offers packs in comparable sizes, and they come with a hydration bladder. I think that Camelbak makes the best hydration bladders. PLUS, Camelbak's stuff is guaranteed forever.

Another option is Osprey. I have a couple of their packs, and they're bombproof. They have all the features that I wouldn't have thought of, and they're really convenient to use. I think Osprey packs are among the best. Their hydration bladders aren't as good as Camelbak, though. And of course, Osprey stuff is also guaranteed forever.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Double post. Sorry.
Last edited by RustyIron on Sat May 06, 2023 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I think the Forum software hates me.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I am an avid hiker (here in Alaska, and beyond), and for the last 10+ years have heavily used a Sea to Summit bag that folds up to the size of half of a toilet paper roll. Their "Ultra Sil" is a great design. I also have used and abused one of their folding duffels a lot. Patagonia bags are also excellent due to the exceptional warranty. The Black Hole series is incredibly durable. I have seen Gregory bags run into issues, but it took years of abuse in harsh conditions.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Do you have the zippered Sea to Summit, or the rolltop (the one that's advertised as waterproof)?
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

Backpacking has been a passion of mine for decades and there's only a few products and fewer brands that I feel strongly enough about that I will suggest them to anyone who'll listen. Osprey packs is on the short list of high quality, well thought-out gear that I would suggest to any backpacker. They have a lot of size and feature options to choose from. I simply suggest you take a serious look at what they have to offer. Also, try packs on. They're all a little different.

Here's the 5 Ospreys currently in my rotation.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

I have a couple GORUCK bags. They ain’t cheap but they’re Made in the USA and tough. One I have is covered in MOLLE like the Rush 12 and survived a motorcycle accident with a few dings but still fully functional as my day pack. The other is strictly an office bag with a more streamlined look and less MOLLE but does perfectly well in it’s role. Curious, why don’t you just get the 5.11?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:19 am
Do you have the zippered Sea to Summit, or the rolltop (the one that's advertised as waterproof)?
Zippered one that packs down to half a toilet paper roll in size. :)
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Osprey. Stratos 24L would be a good place to start, but check their lineup to see if something has a set of features you may like better.

Don't have many pics of mine, but here's one from an 11 mile hike a couple years ago.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

+1 for Osprey. The Stratos 24 has been my go to on a big day hike for a decade. I even bought a 2nd as a loner for friends that fly into town and every one loves using it.

For casual day hikes I still use a $15 Eddie Bauer viewtopic.php?t=86626#p1421097
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 7:30 pm
Curious, why don’t you just get the 5.11?
I don’t know. I just haven’t pulled the trigger on one. Keep debating between a few brands. They are about $100 still, maybe I’ll end up grabbing one and trying it out
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

For this size of backpack, it's really all about personal preferences; organization, access, outside pockets, water resistance, etc.
It's not going to be so heavy that fit and carry system makes much of a difference.

I'm not to steady in US backpack sizing, but as far as I understand the rush 12 is approx. 24L. Personally I'd go up in size to 30-35L. There is hardly any weight/cost penalty (usually), but you get a big bump in versatility and some times carry comfort as well.
The only times I want smaller than 35L (2100 Cuin-ish) is for trail running or when I need a packable daypack for travel. You'll not be using a rush 12 for any of that.

I'm a recovering backpack addict, so I've stayed away from buying backpacks for a while. I.e. I'm not in a position to give very specific advice, but I have a passion for hiking and the outdoors, so I can't help notice some of the stuff that's out there.
For that size range (~35L) I've opted for backpacks with vented back panels. I really appreciate the added comfort, and for this size backpack the added bulk and offset in weight distribution is not an issue. I have a Berghaus Freeflow that I've had for years. At the time of purchase it definitively had the best ventilation system on the market. Thumbs up from me, if they're still available.
The miles and years has not been kind to it, so while it's still holding up without a single problem the wear is noticeable and I anticipate it will give up the ghost eventually. As such I picked up a ventilated Haglöfs LIM 35 at 70% discount. From what little I've used it, it doesn't seem to carry as well as the Berghaus, but it is lighter and has some features that are slightly different.

If ventilation wasn't as important to me, I'd take a look at the already mentioned Osprey's. I like my backpasks light and simple, without too much organization, so I'd certainly consider a Talon or Stratos. They have a bit of venting as well. There might be other models worth considering as well, these are just the two I've noticed.

Another interesting option is the Bridger lineup from Mystery Ranch. I believe it's aimed at backpackers, but they go down to 35.5L, so the smallest one could very well be suited for hiking. This is more or less the opposite end of the spectrum from the vented backpacks. Here you get a harness based carry system that is supposed to give you a really tight and secure fit with optimal weight distribution. From what I've heard it seems to work quite well.

For what it's worth, I ordered a Rush once (the 24, I believe), but returned it. Mainly because of excessive organization, but I was pretty underwhelmed as a whole. If you like the style it's probably a good value proposition for an EDC bag, but for hiking that organization will get in your way and just add weight. Same with the Molle. It adds weight and even more so when/if it gets wet. You don't want to carry items on the outside of your pack anyways, and if so only in a pinch. Many outdoor backpacks have attachment points that can be used for walking sticks, helmets or other items that you'll occasionally want to carry on the outside, I'd opt for that over molle.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:37 am
For that size range (~35L) I've opted for backpacks with vented back panels. I really appreciate the added comfort, and for this size backpack the added bulk and offset in weight distribution is not an issue. I have a Berghaus Freeflow that I've had for years. At the time of purchase it definitively had the best ventilation system on the market. Thumbs up from me, if they're still available.
That looks like a good vent system. I love the Osprey Airspeed system, but it still presses against your entire back. It makes a big difference on long hikes for sure, but it seems like less contact points would be better if it's comfortable and durable.
aicolainen wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 1:37 am
For what it's worth, I ordered a Rush once (the 24, I believe), but returned it. Mainly because of excessive organization, but I was pretty underwhelmed as a whole. If you like the style it's probably a good value proposition for an EDC bag, but for hiking that organization will get in your way and just add weight. Same with the Molle. It adds weight and even more so when/if it gets wet. You don't want to carry items on the outside of your pack anyways, and if so only in a pinch. Many outdoor backpacks have attachment points that can be used for walking sticks, helmets or other items that you'll occasionally want to carry on the outside, I'd opt for that over molle.
Well said. I've found less is more for my personal preference, hence the Stowaway 20L I love. Osprey generally follows this mentality as well. All of my Molle backpacks sit in a bin in the basement... They are heavy and the organization is overkill. For years I carried an Ogio for work and travel and I don't think I could go back to the bulk of bags like that.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

clovisc wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 8:17 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 9:19 am
Zippered one that packs down to half a toilet paper roll in size. :)
I have both, and I prefer the zippered one. The roll top is more waterproof, but I find it's not worth the additional size (packed down it's about 2.5 times as large as the zippered one).
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I like maxpedition. Very durable .....not the lightest though.