Who needs a lanyard hole?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Re: Who needs a lanyard hole?

Post by Fireman »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:17 pm
I have no use for lanyards on folders. So I slapped a deep carry clip I had in my drawer on my Stretch 2 XL. Now this large knife disappears in my pocket.

1, Great knife. 2, I love lanyard holes because I use them for securing the knife when I work and it offers me an alternate deployment method. 3, Paracord on a lanyard has many utility and survival uses.

Personal story, I lost a Spyderco Civilian while kayaking because I did not have a lanyard. Always use a float on a pocket knife while kayaking.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

If I want to go hiking in the woods and I choose a dark knife over a bright knife I'll tie a brightly coloured cord to it so I wont loose as easily.

Other than that I just find that lanyards are in the way when gripping the knife taking it out of the pocket or that it is getting in the way of the blade when closing it. I've never needed to tie something to my body when around water.
/ David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Fireman wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 10:43 pm
Jerome Howard wrote:
I have no use for lanyards on folders. So I slapped a deep carry clip I had in my drawer on my Stretch 2 XL. Now this large knife disappears in my pocket.

1, Great knife. 2, I love lanyard holes because I use them for securing the knife when I work and it offers me an alternate deployment method. 3, Paracord on a lanyard has many utility and survival uses.

Personal story, I lost a Spyderco Civilian while kayaking because I did not have a lanyard. Always use a float on a pocket knife while kayaking.
I put one on usually if spending extended time in the woods myself in case of an emergency . I don’t mind the hole if not in use . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have one on a Manbug and a Dfly with the clip removed. For in the pocket carry they are great as they keep the knife from falling out and index it better
Ferruginous

Post by Ferruginous »

Jerome Howard wrote:
I have no use for lanyards on folders.
Same.
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:28 pm
Its a useful option to have and there is no downside to having one.
The downside is that it often restricts the location of the pocket clip. The Para series carries poorly because the pocket clip is offset and lower than it must be due to the giant hole in the handle.

I loved using my G10 Para 3 but it carried too high. I tried a deep carry clip but it stuck out too far and made the handle uncomfortable to use. The lightweight Para 3, with it's tiny lanyard hole and wire clip, carries perfectly and feels right in the hand.

Other manufacturers have a hole in the pocket clip, or an internal pin (like on the Sebenza) to allow the tiny minority to tie things to their knife.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I like them on fixed blades but don't have any on my folders. I like that the hole is there if I want one though. Preferences can change
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

No use for lanyard holes on folders, but I don´t mind them either.

If / when I get another Millie (1) I´ll probably use the lanyard hole for some tip up mod.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Like others, I never use lanyard holes on folding knives, but don't mind if a knife has one, as long as it's in a spot that doesn't compromise clip placement.
The only knives I use a lanyard on are a beefy fixed blade that occasionally gets used for camp type wood processing and a short heavy bladed machete, that's mostly used for limbing.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Ferruginous wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 3:18 pm
Jerome Howard wrote:
I have no use for lanyards on folders.
Same.
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:28 pm
Its a useful option to have and there is no downside to having one.
The downside is that it often restricts the location of the pocket clip. The Para series carries poorly because the pocket clip is offset and lower than it must be due to the giant hole in the handle.

I loved using my G10 Para 3 but it carried too high. I tried a deep carry clip but it stuck out too far and made the handle uncomfortable to use. The lightweight Para 3, with it's tiny lanyard hole and wire clip, carries perfectly and feels right in the hand.

Other manufacturers have a hole in the pocket clip, or an internal pin (like on the Sebenza) to allow the tiny minority to tie things to their knife.
Yeah but that downside is because of design choice not necessarily because it has a lanyard hole. There are plenty of designs with a lanyard hole where clip placement takes priority and the lanyard hole is secondary, like the manix ltwt. Even without a lanyard hole the clip placement could still not be ideal if the designer wants the clip to be lower down for certain reasons.

So I guess as others are saying, if there isnt a compromise then there doesnt seem to be a downside to having the option. I should have said this.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Subverto

Post by Subverto »

I will never use a lanyard on a pocket knife, and strongly dislike that the PM2 and Para 3 are seemingly designed around their giant lanyard holes. As a result the pocket clips on the PM2 and Para 3 are very poorly located. They fixed this issue with the Para 3 LW which proves the gigantic lanyard holes don't need to be in that design at all.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don't mind the lanyard hole. I almost never use them, but if I were hiking, climbing, out on a boat, etc., I would use the hole to connect and secure my knife to a belt loop with a short length of paracord. I've never lost a knife, but there are always stories of people losing or forgetting knives. And for me personally, the lanyard hole doesn't make the clip placement all that uncomfortable. Does the hole need to be that large? Not for paracord. But I don't know what someone else might use.

Jim
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

I am in the don’t care for them camp. IMHO I feel they should be looked at for specifically which model it is being designed for. A gentleman's folder or then no. A salt knife then yes. A huge folder then probably no. Like others have said when they compromise the clip placement for the hole then it seems to me they have priorities wrong. This also adds to the handle to edge ratio often. I personally have never used one but understand those who might. But I think the purpose/use of the design should come first instead of just automatically putting one on everything. Other manufacturers have found more creative and novel ways to have a lanyard attachment point without just drilling a huge hole in the handle so why can’t Spyderco? Another reason to love the Chapparal.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

I rarely use them but don't mind them when they are inside the top of the clip. Other than that, no.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:29 pm
I don't mind the lanyard hole. I almost never use them, but if I were hiking, climbing, out on a boat, etc., I would use the hole to connect and secure my knife to a belt loop with a short length of paracord. I've never lost a knife, but there are always stories of people losing or forgetting knives. And for me personally, the lanyard hole doesn't make the clip placement all that uncomfortable. Does the hole need to be that large? Not for paracord. But I don't know what someone else might use.

Jim

I am one of those who is hiking and climbing AND actually lost Spydies out of my (right front) pocket two times while doing so... ;)

Still, I think the "paracord solution" would be not for me.

- Either the paracord would have to be pretty long so that I could use the knife with the paracord still attached to the belt loop
- Or, in case of a short paracord, I´d have to retrieve the knife out the pocket AND unclip the paracord from the belt loop

Both rather cumbersome imo.
Carrying iwb or in some front pouch of a pack is not the ideal, but still better way for me personally.

On a BOAT though, where not only loosing, but just dropping the knife (into the water) is a thing, I might feel differently.

/ Even more off topic, but what I always do with Spydies I might carry rfp in the outdoors: Bending the clip "downwards", so it offers stronger retention
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Use them every day on my salt knives to attach a float. Almost never use them on any other knives but would always rather have one than not just to have the option.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I remember reading some special forces people have a saying that if it is not tied to you, it's lost already. Critical gear gets "dummy corded" to your belt/webbing/etc. I cannot verify the veracity of that claim, but it has always stuck with me. If I was going somewhere in the way outback, I'd have at least a couple of things dummy corded to me. A knife would be one of those.

Day to day, I rarely use a lanyard or fob, except for Manbug/Ladybug sized knives which get a fob. Some knives really could have the lanyard hole reduced and/or moved to a different location, IMO. Some knives don't need them at all.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

I have lanyards on every single one of my knives to prevent loss during various activities. It's pain prevention esp. when operating in hot & muddy/deep water environments :hot-face
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Jerome Howard wrote:

FYI, if you find that the S2XL has turned into a pocket shredder, the Long clip from Lynch NW should reach all the way to the contact patch.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.