As we have the Stretch XL, could we revert to the Stretch 1 pattern for non-XL?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: As we have the Stretch XL, could we revert to the Stretch 1 pattern for non-XL?

Post by abbazaba »

Stas wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:51 am

Personally, I would love to see a knife with a similar blade-to-handle ratio as the Stretch 2 XL, but in a more compact size...
I said it before in another thread, and I know it sounds odd, but I really hope for a Mini S2XL. Shrunk in all directions like a 3" XM18, but 3.3"-3.5" if I'm being picky.
Wartstein

Re: As we have the Stretch XL, could we revert to the Stretch 1 pattern for non-XL?

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:51 pm
I'd be surprised if the original mold of the Stretch 1 is still viable for production.

No, it isn´t... One of my first topics on this forum (2018) was asking for a comeback of the Stretch 1, maybe even alongside the Stretch 2.
Sal made it very clear back then that this won´t happen, not even for a sprint, cause, yes, the molds do not exist anymore...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 9:03 pm
I’m sure Gernot agrees with you, but sadly I do not.

As someone who deeply loved the Stretch 1, the Stretch 2 is an improvement on all counts for my XL hands. The deepe/wider choil is more comfortable and more useful, and the less-pronounced pinky hook is a boon. The extra size is also nice.

I’m carrying a Stretch 2 today. It’s fantastic.

He does , and he knows your different, but valid, opinion on this, my friend! ;)

For me it is just the other way round: The Stretch 2 is a great knife, and I´d have several of it.... IF I hadn´t several Stretch 1 already, imo a knife that is even better than the "2".

Why?

- The "1" offers more cutting edge in a more compact package - actually the cutting edge to closed length ratio of the Stretch 1 is even a tad better than on the Stretch XL, and when it comes to Spydies with finger choils only (by a hair) beaten by the Caly 3.5

- For me the "1" has a better choil than the 2: Shorter, so the hand is closer to the edge when not using the choil, shallower, which gives me more control, and actually with a wider radius - better for my L to XL hands...

- I actually love the pronounced pinky hook on the "1" - still offers a tad more grip area than a PM2 or Manix, and makes for a great, secure grip. But, yes, if my hands were any larger: The "2" would be a better fit, no doubt!

- The "1" also has a perfect tip: Robust, but a bit pointier than the Stretch 2 (original blade shape! The straight spine tip on the other hand is a bit too pointy for my liking)

- Only thing I prefer on the "2": It does not have that pronounced "step" at the transition from choil to edge (the "1" has, and I don´t necessarily like that)

Anyway: Just a nostalgic discussion with no real relevance: Generally we won´t see the "1" ever again, and personally I still have 4 pieces of it (VG10 user, HAP 40 user, VG10 backup, and a heavily used and sharpened away VG10 with the british racing green scales of the ZDP Stretch 1 )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:01 am
Anyway: Just a nostalgic discussion with no real relevance: Generally we won´t see the "1" ever again, and personally I still have 4 pieces of it (VG10 user, HAP 40 user, VG10 backup, and a heavily used and sharpened away VG10 with the british racing green scales of the ZDP Stretch 1 )
Now there’s something I’m jealous of. A man with four Stretches, of any generation, is a fortunate man indeed.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Stas

Post by Stas »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:40 am
Wartstein wrote:
Now there’s something I’m jealous of. A man with four Stretches, of any generation, is a fortunate man indeed.
My thoughts as well. I would love to Stretch my collection quite a bit more after experiencing XL.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I'm firmly in the "Stretch 1 is the GOAT" camp (But only have 3; I was a slacker when they were available), and the 2 just doesn't do it for me - especially not the straight spine versions. The Kapara comes close to scratching the itch, though. Or a drop point UKPK.
Stas

Post by Stas »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 11:55 am
Stas wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:51 am
Personally, I would love to see a knife with a similar blade-to-handle ratio as the Stretch 2 XL, but in a more compact size, which was the case with the Stretch 1, as far as I know. I trust that Spyderco would improve the ergonomics in any new knife they release, including a more comfortable choil and a less pronounced pinky hook.
Maybe we could get a StretchJumpmer?
Oh mate, I remember I saw your thread about LeafJumper made at the times when only Rock Jumper was on a market and the rest was a speculation. I wish LeafJumper accommodate a bit longer blade in its handle. If Sequoia (LJ XL) become a reality and will have similar blade-to-handle ratio to Stretch 2 XL, this could be a next hit.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:40 am
Wartstein wrote:

Actually five, if you count the Stretch XL too ;) - four Stretch 1 plus the XL.

Had another Stretch 1 in combo edge - but surprisingly to myself did not like the kind of serrations it had, so I sold it.

Also had a FRN Stretch 2 in original blade shape and the Stretch 2 straight spine ivory scale sprint run for a while.
Really liked both, but still they taught me that the "1" is better for me personally.
I´d actually even rather go with an Endela than with a Stretch 2 in that size range.

The coolest Stretch to me is the ss/kraton version though. Never had one, but would like to, despite its comparably "heavy" weight
(for those who might not be aware of this model: See here https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C90/166)

/ On topic: Sounds crazy, but to me a "Lil Stretch XL" would be a great thing indeed... so a smaller version of the XL, keeping its great edge to closed length ratio (which the Stretch 2 definitely does not, as good as it might be generally)
Stas

Post by Stas »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:53 am
The coolest Stretch to me is the ss/kraton version though. Never had one, but would like to, despite its comparably "heavy" weight
Good that you mention it here Gernot :) I keep an eye for one on eBay for quite some time already. Even did a research about possible replacing kraton inserts with micarta :D

Did you had a chance to see one in metal? It should have a 6mm shorter handle (108mm vs 114mm of Stretch "1" LW)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Stas wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 8:55 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 6:53 am
Good that you mention it here Gernot :) I keep an eye for one on eBay for quite some time already. Even did a research about possible replacing kraton inserts with micarta :D

Did you had a chance to see one in metal? It should have a 6mm shorter handle (108mm vs 114mm of Stretch "1" LW)

Hey Stas,

No, I never saw a ss/kraton Stretch in "person".

I´ve always wondered about that shorter handle though: Yes, according to the Spydiewiki (https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C90_Stretch) its handle should be 5 mm shorter than the FRN Stretch 1 handle (10.8 mm vs 11.3 mm).

Since they say that the BLADE though has the same length on both versions (89 mm) I am not quite sure how this works, since that blade fills almost completely already the (as they say) longer handle of the FRN Stretch 1... could only be that the pivot is more on the front end of the handle with the ss/kraton Stretch (but I don´t think so), other wise I don´t see how that blade should fit in a handle that is 5 mm shorter.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I like the original Stretch blade shape. It somewhat reminds me of the Jester, which I've always loved, and which needs to be regularly offered in G-10. The XL profile looks more like a cross between a Police and a PM2.