Zome + Super Blue Sprint!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
blueblur

Re: Zome + Super Blue Sprint!

Post by blueblur »

Have there been any hints of the Endura in this flavor?
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Or an Endela? Seriously though if the Delica had been a wharnie it would have been an instant buy for me.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

My Delica arrived last week and the Ti scales and deep carry clip should be here in the next few days.
Once those goodies are installed (or rather the blade and liners are installed in the goodies) it will get a sub-15DPS re-profile and go into rotation.

Objectively, I expect the cutting performance to be a disappointment compared to my HAP-40, CruWear and M390 variants, but Hitachi blue was one of my first steel "crushes" decades ago when I stumbled on the Japan Woodworker catalog and picked up a few kitchen knives and wood working tools with this steel (actually blue #2) in them, so it deserves a place of honor in my collection.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

awa54 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:09 pm
Objectively, I expect the cutting performance to be a disappointment compared to my HAP-40, CruWear and M390 variants, but Hitachi blue was one of my first steel "crushes" decades ago when I stumbled on the Japan Woodworker catalog and picked up a few kitchen knives and wood working tools with this steel (actually blue #2) in them, so it deserves a place of honor in my collection.

Now I have a blade steel inferiority complex!
:eye-roll
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

awa54 wrote:
My Delica arrived last week and the Ti scales and deep carry clip should be here in the next few days.
Did you get the ones from LynchNW? These things are glorious. I can't wait to put the HP Delica blade in these scales.

olywa

Post by olywa »

Totally agree on the Lynch titanium scales. I threw a many years old ZDP-189 blade in to my set and I'm loving it.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:55 am
awa54 wrote:
Did you get the ones from LynchNW? These things are glorious. I can't wait to put the HP Delica blade in these scales.

Oh my! Those are great looking scales!
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I'll try to post a pic of my completed knife this evening...

The scales I got are from an Etsy seller and look to be the Flytanium scales with a deep laser etched pattern applied:

dnatidelica.JPG
-David

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

awa54 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:07 am
I'll try to post a pic of my completed knife this evening...

The scales I got are from an Etsy seller and look to be the Flytanium scales with a deep laser etched pattern applied:

dnatidelica.JPG
Nice! Those look great.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The edges of the cut in the design are quite crisp, so this will be more of a pocket grater than any peel-ply composite.

Very good looking in person though!

Resized_20230429_174528.jpeg

...and the grip is fantastic!
-David

w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

It’s a shame these aren’t being offered through usual distributors, not sure why SFO only sprints have become a thing and hope it doesn’t continue.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

w3tnz wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 2:15 am
It’s a shame these aren’t being offered through usual distributors, not sure why SFO only sprints have become a thing and hope it doesn’t continue.
Funny,

I feel the opposite way. Spyderco does a lot of Special Factory Orders/Exclusives for the various distributors/retailers. I think it is fitting that they do the same for themselves with the Sprint runs.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

DavidNM wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:43 am
Funny,

I feel the opposite way. Spyderco does a lot of Special Factory Orders/Exclusives for the various distributors/retailers. I think it is fitting that they do the same for themselves with the Sprint runs.

They aren’t doing the same though, they are the manufacturer selling a sprint run at full MSRP with no discount or competition, essentially putting it behind a paywall beyond what they have already established with MAP.

It’s anti-consumer behaviour and shouldn’t be encouraged.
I see, said the blind man.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

w3tnz wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 12:50 pm
DavidNM wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 5:43 am
Funny,

They aren’t doing the same though, they are the manufacturer selling a sprint run at full MSRP with no discount or competition, essentially putting it behind a paywall beyond what they have already established with MAP.

It’s anti-consumer behaviour and shouldn’t be encouraged.
I disagree. The distributor exclusives are priced according to what the distributor thinks is fair and provide enough of a profit the same as the manufacturer. We call one the MRSP and the other which is typically less expensive the sale price. As far as I know there is no reason why a distributor or retailer couldn’t sell an exclusive at MRSP if they wanted.
I think it just boils down to if you can and want to afford it. If a sprint run is unpopular it will sit around until the product is discounted.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

DavidNM wrote: I disagree. The distributor exclusives are priced according to what the distributor thinks is fair and provide enough of a profit the same as the manufacturer. We call one the MRSP and the other which is typically less expensive the sale price. As far as I know there is no reason why a distributor or retailer couldn’t sell an exclusive at MRSP if they wanted.
I think it just boils down to if you can and want to afford it. If a sprint run is unpopular it will sit around until the product is discounted.
Firstly this is advertised as a sprint run, different from an exclusive, which further reinforces my point; Spyderco has chosen to make it ‘exclusive’ to themselves rather than the usual distribution network, where, they are usually priced at MSRP minus 30 percent (which is MAP), plus any additional discount or bonus and competitive shipping options that may be available from individual dealers.

Usually buying directly from the manufacturer results in a deeper discount as you’re cutting out the ‘middle man’ and all associated costs.

But feel free to present your case for how this benefits the consumer or dealers for that matter.
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

w3tnz wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 3:28 pm
DavidNM wrote: I disagree. The distributor exclusives are priced according to what the distributor thinks is fair and provide enough of a profit the same as the manufacturer. We call one the MRSP and the other which is typically less expensive the sale price. As far as I know there is no reason why a distributor or retailer couldn’t sell an exclusive at MRSP if they wanted.
Firstly this is advertised as a sprint run, different from an exclusive, which further reinforces my point; Spyderco has chosen to make it ‘exclusive’ to themselves rather than the usual distribution network, where, they are usually priced at MSRP minus 30 percent (which is MAP), plus any additional discount or bonus and competitive shipping options that may be available from individual dealers.

Usually buying directly from the manufacturer results in a deeper discount as you’re cutting out the ‘middle man’ and all associated costs.

But feel free to present your case for how this benefits the consumer or dealers for that matter.
I don’t see a fundamental difference between a unique knife in limited production numbers being available from a single source whether it is a retailer or the manufacturer. Both price the knife in a way that they will make money.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

DavidNM wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 7:07 pm
I don’t see a fundamental difference between a unique knife in limited production numbers being available from a single source whether it is a retailer or the manufacturer. Both price the knife in a way that they will make money.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree.
The difference is 30%+ increased cost to the consumer, MSRP vs MAP.

Spyderco will be making money, that we can agree on.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I totally agree that Spyderco needs to make money! :beaming-face
-David

DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

I have been using my Zome+Super Blues steel Delica for a week or so and I am developing a few opinions about it. The only other Delica that I have owned was over 20 years ago when the pocket clip was a molded part of the handle just to give some background.

The handle really surprised me. It is not slick but instead vert grippy it is also much stiffer than I would have expected. The FRN Spyderco’s that I. Ever handled were flexible. The nested liners seem to make a huge improvement.
The Super Blue steel used in the blade. This is the first time that I have ever used this steel. Most of my knives are either 1095 slipjoint knives or S30v or S35v blade steel. This Super Blue takes an edge so much easier than either S30v or S35v blades. It doesn’t seem to hold the edge as long but it is so easy to get a REALLY scary sharp edge that I am not really worried about sharpening it often. A few swipes on either side of my Sharpmaker and I am done. Quick, easy and super sharp. I originally ordered a Dragonfly in this Zome + Super Blue sprint run but was sent a Delica by mistake. A happy mistake for me. I still intend to order up a Dragonfly for my daily office carry and use the Delica for. Weekends.

Very happy with the knife.