Best Spyderco for Backpacking

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryder

Re: Best Spyderco for Backpacking

Post by Ryder »

We go into the wilderness several times a week and after decades of getting about 50 bag nights a year I won’t take a fixed blade. They are heavy and the sheath always collects grit that ruins the edge. Folders don’t need a sheath and the grit doesn’t affect the edge, just falls out.

Food prep is #1 so I like thin blade stock.

Fire prep is at least a saftey feature like taking your rain gear even though none is forecast.

SD…I wouldn’t want to be poked in the neck half a dozen times with a medium sized folder. Never had to deal any of that out though. Hope I never do.

I detest sharpening in the field almost as having a lot of chromium in my steel. So I carry K390 that stays eerily sharp. Also on board is a tiny piece of cloth with mineral oil for that protective sheen. When I was young all my folders were carbon steel so that is second nature.

The size I prefer for lightweight but still big enough to perform is the size of the old folding camp knife or medium Swiss Army knife. I can cook a very large meal at home with that size and it’s not too big to feel clumsy.

The one that goes with me is the Delica 4 LW in K390. It is a sturdy folder that has perfect ergonomics. I pare wish it, cut fruits and veggies against the thumb. I have no need to ever baton and wood. One should be able to stay warm and dry without a fire but be able to make one in extreme situations.

A guy lost a VG10 Delica LW in the woods for three months, found it and it looked good, a little corrosion that looked like it would rob off with a shirt tail. It is a good solid tool that is one of the 10 essentials.

The VG10 is stain resistant and very good. The K390 is a madman.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:32 am
I forgot to ask:

• Would you take any sharpening device to re-sharpen in the field?

...and...
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:49 pm
I assume we´re talking folders?

Not necessarily...interested in what folks would take and why. I lean toward a fixie myself but I have taken folders in the past and they've been very satisfactory.
I honestly don't see a reason to carry a folder if I can bring a fixed blade. I carry a folder because it is not out in the open where people are going to gawk at it in public, and because it doesn't get in the way while I'm doing anything on a normal day. Fixed blades are stronger, easier to maintain, and faster to deploy. If it was not a nuisance when trying to sit down with many sheaths, I would carry a fixed blade around my house every day instead of a pocket knife. In fact sometimes I do with my Izula because it doesn't get in my way. Quite simply, if I'm out in the woods or on a hike, I can't come up with a reason I would choose a folder.

Looking at Spyderco's fixed blade options, I would go with either an Enuff 2 or the Bill Moran Bowie, which has intrigued me ever since I first saw it. I like to have a 4 inch blade minimum, which is the same size I use for a paring knife in the kitchen. Minimal food prep is a factor for me and that length seems to do most tasks well without adding more weight than I want. If I were to pick something out of my current collection it would be my Mora.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Not all backpacking is created equal. Only going in 3-5 miles, and close to "civilization", you can likely get away with just a folder. I carry my Spyderco K2, but still a small and large fixed blade here in Colorado. Things can go sideways pretty fast in our back country, I'm not going to be caught unprepared, even if I'm just out Elk scouting for the day.

Going on a long trip 10+ miles back in, or a trek on one of the numerous long trails (CDT, PCT, JMT, Colorado Trail, Appalachian Trail, etc.) and quite a ways from "civilization", it's fixed blades all the way IMO. One smaller, and more of a slicer (SO many to choose from), and one larger brute to use as a "camp knife" and process wood, etc. (Busse or CPK would be my choice here).
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

I've hiked the Pacific Crest Trail. top to bottom. In sections, over the years. I've come across some pretty shady characters. One who turned out to be a murderer hiding in the mountains in Oregon to escape capture. I'd want my knife to be good for SD. But a handgun is a better solution for that. I'd never go on such a hike with a handgun. BUT If I get disarmed for some reason, I'd want the baddest knife I could carry and conceal. Probably serrated edge and pointy. Maybe a Shaman SE.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

(For what my version of backpacking is)
knives currently available: the enuff 2. In knife history: The temperance 1. I’d carry either of these in my pack or on my pants belt. I’ve never gone back packing unless I’m going to go camping out in the woods where I’m likely needed to chop some branches or brush, build a fire, make stakes, do food prep, and whatever else oddball cutting tasks that could come up. I also look for in a blade that would be effective in the possible case of a self defense situation that could always happen when your out in the elements beyond your home, whether possible animal attack or another human, it’s going to be better to be prepared with a fairly concealable knife on you with some decent reach. 4-6” range fixed blade with a balanced and versatile blade shape, full sized hand filling handle with good front and bottom guards. Those are my ideal knives for a backpacking.
Last edited by Tristan_david2001 on Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red-white
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:32 am
I forgot to ask:

• Would you take any sharpening device to re-sharpen in the field?
I probably would already be taking a sharp knife with me, and guessing i wouldn’t plan to be away from home long enough for the blade to need resharpening, but just for extra preparation standards I’d probably toss the work sharp field sharpener or the spyderco Tri-angle sharpmaker kit or both in the pack, just cus they’re both so compact and useful.
:bug-red-white
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:27 pm
• If you happen to suggest a salt knife, why? Do you typically get your knives wet during backpacking, have you had rust problems? I'm asking because I've not had backcountry rust issues.
• Tell me where you would carry the knife. (Front pockets are difficult with a pack.)
• Would you ask your backpacking knife to be adept at SD (assuming a longer blade in that case), or would you go for the lightest weight possible with a short blade?
• Do you typically put knife to wood on a pack trip? If so, what are you whittling and why? (Here in Calif and I think also Arizona open fires are mostly prohibited so feather sticks are out.)
• What are your most typical uses for your knife on a pack trip?
I've done a lot of backpacking, 2 day trips up to 4 day trips. For the type of backpacking I did something like a standard FRN Delica would be what I would carry.
I've not had any problem with rust.
I don't think there is a need for self defense while backpacking. If there is then you need something a lot more effective than a knife. Most backpackers would want a fairly light knife.
I've not had the need to cut any wood when backpacking. Mostly I just used a knife to cut open food packages or cut a piece of moleskin.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think this was a fun debate a few years ago when it was last asked. At the time, I felt the Stretch 2 was the best pick because of its light weight, comfortable handle, and great slicing geometry.

Since the launch of the Stretch 2 XL, it is no longer a debate. That knife smashes the blade length:weight ratio into pieces, and manages to do so with nicely contoured scales.

I’d still take a fixed blade too, of course. but man: that knife is a great value proposition.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:23 pm
I think this was a fun debate a few years ago when it was last asked. At the time, I felt the Stretch 2 was the best pick because of its light weight, comfortable handle, and great slicing geometry.

Since the launch of the Stretch 2 XL, it is no longer a debate. That knife smashes the blade length:weight ratio into pieces, and manages to do so with nicely contoured scales.

I’d still take a fixed blade too, of course. but man: that knife is a great value proposition.
we just need it in a salt steel already. hopefully in the next reveal along with a manix salt. :crossed-fingers
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
A.S.

Post by A.S. »

Simple, a Delica and a fixed blade. I’ve carried that combo for many backpacking trips. The steel is up to your discretion. I’ve had a VG-10 and Hap40 in my pocket for most trips. Either have done fine and given me no problems whatsoever.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

bdblue wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:24 pm
I don't think there is a need for self defense while backpacking. If there is then you need something a lot more effective than a knife.
I find this opinion interesting. While I doubt that it is very likely that you will have to defend yourself, it is one of those things in life that can happen at any moment, and if you are not prepared, you may regret it horribly. I believe it was on this forum actually where I heard a story of a family on a hike, a couple and there young son, probably around 7, when a cougar jumped out and dragged the kid away. The dad ran after the cougar with little thought and jumped on the animals back pounding it with his fists to little effect in attempt to get it off of his son as it was now pinning the child to the ground. He then realized he had a pocket knife, drew it and drove it into the cougars side. The cat retreated and was later found dead. Nobody sustained any significant injury, but had that guy not had a knife, he would have regretted it for the rest of his life.

So regardless of the probability, I always consider the possible need. I have had coyote's attack and eat peoples dogs near me, I've had coyotes attack people in city parking lots that I've been in frequently. I had a cougar walk through my neighborhood right past my backyard. I had my neighbor's dog even get sliced open by a buck deer.

There is also the question of effectiveness, and while a firearm is always better, I also don't believe in giving up on the idea of defending myself just because I can't have the ideal solution on hand, really you never have "ideal" anyway. Something is always better than nothing as the cougar story clearly demonstrates. I obviously respect everybody's ability to decide for themselves, but I can't help but feel the desire to put what effort I can into accounting for my defense.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Ryder wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:46 pm
We go into the wilderness several times a week and after decades of getting about 50 bag nights a year I won’t take a fixed blade. They are heavy and the sheath always collects grit that ruins the edge. Folders don’t need a sheath and the grit doesn’t affect the edge, just falls out.

This is a very interesting point that I've never heard before. And it sounds like you have the bag-nights to back it up!
Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:23 pm
I believe it was on this forum actually where I heard a story of a family on a hike, a couple and there young son, probably around 7, when a cougar jumped out and dragged the kid away...

I remember that thread from long ago, the dad who defended his kid from a cougar with a Spyderco. I think it was a Caly 3.5? Yes, here's the thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54132 As far as the "better than nothing" argument goes for bear attacks, I've read a few accounts of knives that have stopped an attack. Obviously far from foolproof, but "better than nothing." Here's one: https://www.newsweek.com/man-brutal-bea ... fe-1453446
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:12 pm
Here's one: https://www.newsweek.com/man-brutal-bea ... fe-1453446
that is brutal!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
benben

Post by benben »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:44 am
Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:12 pm
Here's one: https://www.newsweek.com/man-brutal-bea ... fe-1453446
that is brutal!
Is this where the term “poked the bear” came from? Sounds like he had his chance to turn around and leave….nah I’m just gonna stand here and poke him with a stick when he walks by! :eye-roll
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

benben wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:34 am
Is this where the term “poked the bear” came from? Sounds like he had his chance to turn around and leave….nah I’m just gonna stand here and poke him with a stick when he walks by! :eye-roll

Amazing as it sounds, the "hiking pole defense" worked for the famous distance backpacker Andrew Skurka during his Alaska loop...though Skurka threw, rather than poke:

https://youtu.be/jtsI1DOlVow
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’ve taken either a PM2, Centofante 3 or a UKPK SaltSE on various multi-day camping trips and only ever used the UKPK.

However, I’ve used the SAK I’ve also carried many times, mostly the corkscrew, cap lifter, tin opener & wood saw (top tip - don’t ever travel with someone with one of those little fan assisted wood burning / phone charging stoves unless they’re carrying their own saw, and always pitch your tent up wind of theirs).
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:23 pm
bdblue wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:24 pm
I don't think there is a need for self defense while backpacking. If there is then you need something a lot more effective than a knife.
So regardless of the probability, I always consider the possible need. I have had coyote's attack and eat peoples dogs near me, I've had coyotes attack people in city parking lots that I've been in frequently. I had a cougar walk through my neighborhood right past my backyard. I had my neighbor's dog even get sliced open by a buck deer.
This happens pretty frequently anymore in the Boise area. Cougars in parking lots and back yards. Bobcats, Coyotes.

Not a backpacker, but bear spray, folder, fixed blade is standard for me when camping or heck even a day trip picnic in one of our national forests.

What's Michael Janich's tag line? Stay Safe.
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

These threads are always fun.

My $0.02, should something go awry, carry at least what YOU need to re-hydrate and get 8-hours sleep regardless of backpacking or day hiking — if you can do those two things you generally got it made. So in the case of this thread, will my knife do what I need it to do if I am spending the night out here based on whatever else I have on my person? That is why knowing how to dress properly for the environment is the #1 outdoor skill to learn first; but what happens if my clothing and/or sleeping bag gets compromised assuming a cold environment? Or I am stuck or lost in the desert? And so on…

So my $0.02 for the “best” Spydie; it depends on your skill level, the environment, and how well you are acclimated to the first two with your other gear.

Worth noting everyone here comes from different geographies and experiences, so adding that context is cool in these threads. Not to terribly dated stats from a class I used to teach:

Depending on which study you look at, day hikers account for 43% to 48% of Search and Rescue activities in the United States of which there an estimated 50,000 missions a year.

Day Hiking is more than double the next leading activity (boating) requiring assistance. Hiking also accounts for the most fatalities, approximately 23% in our National Parks; followed by suicides (12%), boating (10%), and swimming (10%).

Most rescues occur in the mountains, on foot, less than a mile in distance from the last point the victim was seen. The majority of these are men, 20 to 29 years of age, followed by those 50 to 60.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

As an overall backpacking knife I think the Pacific Salt 2 is pretty fantastic. It's easy to clean, rustproof, light, and with a lot of blade for food prep.

A Ladybug Salt makes a really good addition as a secondary cutting tool without adding much weight.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Usually a junction on a backpacking trip.

But with a heap of Mules made over the years it’s been my Micarta mule (bottom one)

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.