15V Shaman!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheGiant80

Re: 15V Shaman!

Post by TheGiant80 »

15V Shaman inbound. The plan is to carry it every day going forward, and sell a good majority of my other knives that are just sitting around.
ACutAbove

Post by ACutAbove »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:10 am
I finally got one. Crazy price up here in canada but for me it's a must have. Stoked
Yeah pretty high price in Canada, it's what kept me from hitting that buy button so far but I'm tempted.

That and I'm really holding hope for a 3V or another Cruwear version in the future as to me this knife is all about hard use imho so I want more toughness on the edge over ridiculous edge retention personally. Magnacut might be nice too.
Danke

Re: 15V 3Shaman!

Post by Danke »

Blade HQ $271 USD Shipping $30 with 3 week service to Canada (if you're lucky)
Blades Canada $400 CAD Shipping $9 with 2 day service

$271 USD to CD = $368 CAD

Blade HQ Taxes/duty/handling fee estimated $60-120 CAD
Blades Canada taxes $48 CAD

Getting the knife in hand from a store in Canada vs a CBSA seizure? Priceless.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Toddm wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:23 pm
HolySteel wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:11 pm
G-Primo73 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:54 pm
Midway Still has some. I had more than one in my cart...would not let me go further. Just passing it along. :winking-tongue
That is strange - I'm also still seeing them as available. Never had any interest in a Shaman, but everyone else's desires have infected me.
Market has gone really weak on 15v's unless it's a Manix. There are posts on the facebook groups with guys selling them under MAP new and they aren't moving fast. I ended up with 4 from a B&H photo hail mary backorder (mind you the backorder took so long I already had snagged 2 I wanted). I returned all 4 the other day and was happy to do so and get my money back without the hassle of trying to sell/trade them. You'd need to get $300+ just to break even selling them (and that's giving your time away for free) and they just aren't moving for that. PM2 15v's are the same.

Could be the economy, could be the knife secondary market has just gone soft, could be 15v isn't interesting to the masses, but no one seems interested in these even at MAP pricing + sales tax + shipping.
I wouldn’t not use those words to describe the demand
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Blades Canada rounded up to $399 on the Shaman. They definitely know how much demand 15V has.

I decided to pull the trigger on one. It's hard to resist the super steels. I probably should take a break from buying super steel knives after this though :anxious
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Looking forward to getting this one, due on Saturday. I think it will be the largest volume Spyderco blade I'll own.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

Danke wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:18 am
Blade HQ $271 USD Shipping $30 with 3 week service to Canada (if you're lucky)
Blades Canada $400 CAD Shipping $9 with 2 day service

$271 USD to CD = $368 CAD

Blade HQ Taxes/duty/handling fee estimated $60-120 CAD
Blades Canada taxes $48 CAD

Getting the knife in hand from a store in Canada vs a CBSA seizure? Priceless.
I find W&W pricing on Sprints to be inconsistent .The last one offered was the 15v Manix 2 it
priced pretty low....something like the same as MAP with the priority shipping so it sold out rather quickly.I ended up finding one from the US but I got hit with customs fee and taxes.What bugs me is that I paid more than their posted price.

Back to topic,At the Date and Time, W&W still has this knife in stock.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

razorburn wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:48 am
Back to topic,At the Date and Time, W&W still has this knife in stock.
That's this thread:
POST ALERTS AND LEADS IN THIS THREAD:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94272
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:29 pm
Toddm wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:23 pm

Market has gone really weak on 15v's unless it's a Manix. There are posts on the facebook groups with guys selling them under MAP new and they aren't moving fast. I ended up with 4 from a B&H photo hail mary backorder (mind you the backorder took so long I already had snagged 2 I wanted). I returned all 4 the other day and was happy to do so and get my money back without the hassle of trying to sell/trade them. You'd need to get $300+ just to break even selling them (and that's giving your time away for free) and they just aren't moving for that. PM2 15v's are the same.

Could be the economy, could be the knife secondary market has just gone soft, could be 15v isn't interesting to the masses, but no one seems interested in these even at MAP pricing + sales tax + shipping.

I wouldn’t not use those words to describe the demand

What words would you use to describe a sprint/exclusive drop where the secondary market was so soft that they are posted new on facebook/forum groups for less than MAP and don't sell? I can't think of another sprint or exclusive drop where secondary market was that weak that soon right after the drops. Same for the PM2 15v, pretty much not selling unless the price is under MAP.

Just one B/S/T thread on a facebook forum from yesterday had almost 300 posts....
five 15v shamans posted at $275 or less, none sold. (3 have already been reposted today, and haven't sold)
two PM2 15's $225 or less, didn't sell
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Toddm wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:53 am
Just one B/S/T thread on a facebook forum from yesterday had almost 300 posts....
five 15v shamans posted at $275 or less, none sold. (3 have already been reposted today, and haven't sold)
two PM2 15's $225 or less, didn't sell
I don't get why the sellers are being so hard-headed about using FB when they would be gone immediately on ebay at those prices. They also have been selling immediately on the big knife forum, at higher prices.

This discussion seems a bit suspect.
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

Have you ever sold anything on Ebay or Amazon? You can figure both are going to take 15-20% of your selling price. Not only that but you aren't going to be able to dodge federal/state taxes like most forum/FB sellers try to if you use Ebay/Amazon. It's why 90% of sellers require Friends and Family payments now.

You are right, the big forums tend to bring a little bit better $, but not much. Not sure why, could be older average user, there's less risk/scams on the Forums compared to FB. However, I've seen 15v shaman's sitting there this week and last in the $300 range. A couple have been there for days now at $320.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

This just means that Spyderco finally made enough sprints for everyone to get one
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Toddm wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:44 am
Have you ever sold anything on Ebay or Amazon? You can figure both are going to take 15-20% of your selling price. Not only that but you aren't going to be able to dodge federal/state taxes like most forum/FB sellers try to if you use Ebay/Amazon. It's why 90% of sellers require Friends and Family payments now.

You are right, the big forums tend to bring a little bit better $, but not much. Not sure why, could be older average user, there's less risk/scams on the Forums compared to FB. However, I've seen 15v shaman's sitting there this week and last in the $300 range. A couple have been there for days now at $320.
I've had a collectibles business since the 1990's and have ebay feedback of over 4,000, so I'm familiar with everything involved selling - on ebay, forums and through my old website. But not FB - I don't do FB.

You seem to be looking at this from a flipper point of view. I bought three of the 15v knives, each at $30-70 less than what I'd have to pay on ebay or non-FB places. The plan is to keep two and probably trade the third some day when I miss out on a future knife of the moment.

No way of knowing what the future value of these knives will be - it depends on a lot of factors that you are well aware of. But I do know this: a lot of people I know wanted a 15V (some wanted all 3 models), and up until this week they were selling out quickly...everywhere, so if we got a knife we were happy. So it was a successful Sprint run for for Spyderco, but not necessarily for everyone who was looking to make money flipping them. But I'm not concerned with their problems.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Screw the flippers. I hope they learn a lesson.

I'm happy that people who want the knife for themselves can get it.

And I'm happy Spyderco sold a lot of knives in a cool steel partnered with shawn. I hope I see that part happen more!
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Vaugith wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:11 pm
Screw the flippers. I hope they learn a lesson.

I'm happy that people who want the knife for themselves can get it.

And I'm happy Spyderco sold a lot of knives in a cool steel partnered with shawn. I hope I see that part happen more!

Online websites need to instigate a one per customer policy, or lose their dealership status.
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

Not really concerned with the flippers, from what I've seen there's no profit in it, especially if you aren't dodging taxes. People way overestimate what people are making flipping knives, especially once you factor in someone's time to snag drops. Usually I'll grab a spare for a safe queen or trade bait. People complain that the flippers snag the drops, but really the lack of availability sits squarely on the shoulders of the manufacturer not making more of them. If dealers raised their prices high enough that exclusives/sprints stayed in stock for days "so everyone could have a chance" it would make flipper prices look cheap and people would complain about those prices more than what the flippers charge. It's all in how much you value your free time, if you can save hours of your time not stalking drops etc. unless you just enjoy the hunt, that's worth something. Though as I've gotten older I value my free time more.

I typically use my knives, I don't do many safe queens and maintain a fairly small number of knives I really enjoy using. However, I do like to see the value of a collection and exclusive/sprint runs increase though I think it adds to the allure of collecting in general. I fear that the street/MSRP prices have gotten so high the last couple years that there isn't much room for values to increase. Granted there's always risk with some knives falling out of favor, or skyrocketing for odd reasons no one can predict.

I've been on the big knife forums since the 90's, I'm not a huge facebook user, but the deals and volume of knives up for sale (and at good prices) on the facebook groups is far beyond what any of the forums has ever had, not even in the same ballpark. I'd imagine 3-4 of the big FB forums are amassing at least 1000 for sale posts a day. The downside is there's lots of scammers and you have to be smart about buying. I'd never sell there, but it's much easier to find unique sprint/exclusives there than it is to hope the pop up on the forums.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah I don't think price has anything to do with it. If street price was $500, flippers would shoot for $650+. We already see this with other brands. The only way to counter flipping is with higher volume. The instant something is hard to buy, that's when it gets flipped. Scalpers have been doing it for 60 years.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:05 am
Yeah I don't think price has anything to do with it. If street price was $500, flippers would shoot for $650+. We already see this with other brands. The only way to counter flipping is with higher volume. The instant something is hard to buy, that's when it gets flipped. Scalpers have been doing it for 60 years.
In any event, I just received my Shaman 15V. I willingly paid Midway's asking price, which was the same as everyone else's, and have no plan to flip it. If they had asked another $100, I wouldn't have bought one, others also wouldn't have, and maybe they'd still be sitting on the shelves.

So, as an end user, I'm happy. Spyderco's dealers have been selling out quickly, so they're happy. That just leaves the flippers/scalpers, and whether or not they are happy is no concern of most of us.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

I've never owned a Shaman, so today's box opening was a revelation. The first thing I noticed was that the lock, while looking superficially like that of the PM2, is designed to release the blade, but not easily enough to flip it like you can do with the PM2. I prefer the rougher G10 scales on the PM2 Sprint 15V. I like the PM 2's shiny clip less than the Shaman's. I don't think I'm going to be a Shaman fan, but I'll decide after cutting stuff.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

HolySteel wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:19 pm
I've never owned a Shaman, so today's box opening was a revelation. The first thing I noticed was that the lock, while looking superficially like that of the PM2, is designed to release the blade, but not easily enough to flip it like you can do with the PM2. I prefer the rougher G10 scales on the PM2 Sprint 15V. I like the PM 2's shiny clip less than the Shaman's. I don't think I'm going to be a Shaman fan, but I'll decide after cutting stuff.

The lock thing is just like any other knife, they're not all dialed in precisely so the blade drops shut, it just needs adjusted a little. My 15v came super tight, after about a week of use I took it apart and looked it over, greased the pivot and adjusted it my way and now the blade is a pendulum.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David