Loctite vs Not?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: Loctite vs Not?

Post by VashHash »

I use loc tite or more commonly Teflon tape now. I actually had the screw for the lockbar on my P4 work it's way out. Luckily I caught it before it came out completely. If you do any kind of flicking or inertia based openings I highly recommend something to keep the screws in.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Blue stick for loose screws. If they came loose once, they probably will again.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I use blue Loctite on clip screws, but haven’t yet seen a need to use it on pivots or body screws.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Blue Loctite - yup 👍
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yes.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I had a pivot screw on a N5 LW disappear and have several knives from different factories come with loose screws. So my answer is blue locktite and have recently become a fan of the stick.
bladesandbeverages

Post by bladesandbeverages »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:24 pm
Blue loctite, always.

Often I even apply one right when I receive a Seki knife, cause some had body-, clip and one time even the pivot screw come loose and fall out after a short period of use and carry.
Agreed. I had a pivot screw lost on a salt 2 when clipped to my swim suit in El Salvador. After this I checked all my other seki salt knives which needed loctite as well. While this seems less common with Taiwan spydies, I also had a very loose pivot on my Caribbean right out of the box.

In my experience, blue loctite is often crucial. When tightening the pivot on many knives, if you tighten it to the point where the screw is secure, the action is extremely stiff. Finding that sweet spot to avoid play and still have good action requires a little loctite to keep the pivot from loosening up.
tomsch1963

Post by tomsch1963 »

I use blue tube loctite but not 100% of the time. It really depends on the clips and scales I'm swapping. If the knife is still breaking in then I'll go without a thread locker but one it's been used and I don't plan to disassemble for some time I do use loctite.