Swick Thoughts (with pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cl1ff

Re: Swick Thoughts (with pics)

Post by Cl1ff »

dsvirsky wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:33 pm
atv223 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:03 am

How good is the sheath retention? I’ve been thinking of getting one for my PFD but I was concerned about it falling out.
Maybe a little too good. Mine arrived today and I find that, as a neck knife, I can't draw the knife unless the other hand is holding the sheath.
The sheath definitely “breaks in” a bit, but try using your thumb to push while simultaneously pulling with your other fingers like you’re making a fist (with your index in the ring).
You should be able to pop it out and have it ready to go.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

It's starting to loosen up. Trick I learned a long time ago is to leave the knife in the sheath, partially drawn, with the full thickness of the blade at the "sticking" point -- in this case, the lip of the sheath.
Connman

Post by Connman »

Some swick pics for Sal and the Caspian he mentioned . These are part my kayak and surf fishing carry . Finger hole knives are perfect to free up fingers for tasks and prevent dropping the knife.
Attachments
81EF16F8-6E85-4CFA-8DC2-D982D1BEDA0A.jpeg
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Just want to say, since I didn't before, Spyderco did an outstanding job on the knife itself. I also have a Swick 2 and a Swick 4 and you can see and feel the CQI that went into the current version.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

That's not a mirage... That's a PlainEdge Swick5! :party-face

•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

If anybody is curious about the date codes on the boxes... These are mine...

Swick5 PE= CV (March 2022)
Swick5 SE= GV (July 2022)
Swick6 PE= IV (September 2022)
Swick6 SE= IV (September 2022)
•• Beau
ACutAbove

Post by ACutAbove »

Thanks for the pics in this thread, I was contemplating just getting the 6 as it's what's available to me atm but I think the grip shown means I will probably need a 5.

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on PE vs serrated on this particular model, what would be the reasons to go for one or the other for this model?
4077th

Post by 4077th »

ACutAbove wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:34 am
I was wondering what people's thoughts are on PE vs serrated on this particular model, what would be the reasons to go for one or the other for this model?
Rule of thumb, go with teeth.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I would keep in mind that Spyderco’s serrations are chisel ground and that typically means the edge apex is more acute.

This also makes the very tip a bit thinner.
I don’t have a PE Swick to compare to my SE, but I did slightly bend the tip of my Swick while testing it. I just twisted the tip in a small, but hard, twig. I’m happy to say it was super slight, only at the tip (smaller than the edge bevel), and it sharpened out easily.

I think that indicates the LC200N steel is done right for the model in that it would bend rather than chip or break in important situations.

I also think it is good since now the initially razor thin tip has been slightly thickened by my sharpening, which really was a quick job on my CBN plate, so I think it is plenty tough now.

I got it to use mostly as a Salt knife that has a really secure grip while I’m moving around in awkward ways on a kayak or in trees and I think it’s perfect for that role.

The serrations pull cut really well, and I prefer them, but I think the PE Wharncliffe shape is a very useful design and it it will probably have a slightly tougher edge/tip out of the box.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: