I'm in love with Ultem...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: I'm in love with Ultem...

Post by Matus »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:25 am
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:56 am
well hydrated golden yellow to severely dehydrated dark yellow-orange. :hushed-face
I see what you did there.
Yeah, a so calld pee-through material :grin-sweat
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

In my reading I found that some Ultem material from a certain country is not of the highest quality. Just like blades steels, you can mark it anyway you want, but it doesn't make the material match the label.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Stas

Post by Stas »

Love it, from what I saw so far. Something special about it. Sun material, amber...
Reminds of something from from vintage skateboard wheels to ancient machined obsidian ear spools from National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

jmj3esq wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:26 am
I think you all are underestimating the strength of this material. I put in all screws without cracking anything. I dont see these scales getting banged up or cracked like you all fear. Its strong, tough, stuff.
Thats nothing though.

How well does it handle shock impact? If you dropped it from head height, would it survive?

______

There was an, expectedly, very quick trend of using lexan as a knife scale material because its super clear and gimmicky. On the flip side though, it’s very fragile and almost guaranteed to break.

Im guessing Ultem is tougher than Lexan but I wouldn't be surprised if Ultem proves to have similar durability issues.
-Nick :bug-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I am partial to Ultem

Still needs a few more sandpaper grits and a polish

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:13 am
jmj3esq wrote:
I think you all are underestimating the strength of this material. I put in all screws without cracking anything. I dont see these scales getting banged up or cracked like you all fear. Its strong, tough, stuff.
Thats nothing though.

How well does it handle shock impact? If you dropped it from head height, would it survive?

______

There was an, expectedly, very quick trend of using lexan as a knife scale material because its super clear and gimmicky. On the flip side though, it’s very fragile and almost guaranteed to break.

Im guessing Ultem is tougher than Lexan but I wouldn't be surprised if Ultem proves to have similar durability issues.

It’s as strong as anything I have made scales out of…it’s probably the toughest material I have used…and have used Micarta and G10 on many other knives I make…

Great heat (withstanding daily autoclaves) and cold capability’s, great electricity and corrosion capabilities and very petrochemical resistant as used in fuel pumps and valves in aerospace applications.

Happy to throw anything for a test at it if you want as I have a sheet 12” x 12”

Edit: just dropped a piece off a 1st floor balcony and no issue…mind you not as thin as folder scales
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Mushroom wrote:
lexan...(is) very fragile and almost guaranteed to break.

Lexan (polycarbonate) is not fragile. It scratches easily but is quite durable. It's used to make safety lenses and shields, machine guards, optical discs, etc. Are you perhaps thinking of acrylic?

https://youtu.be/YejBjGwfmIo&t=45s
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

standy99 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:23 am
Mushroom wrote:
jmj3esq wrote:
Thats nothing though.

______

It’s as strong as anything I have made scales out of…it’s probably the toughest material I have used…and have used Micarta and G10 on many other knives I make…

Great heat (withstanding daily autoclaves) and cold capability’s, great electricity and corrosion capabilities and very petrochemical resistant as used in fuel pumps and valves in aerospace applications.

Happy to throw anything for a test at it if you want as I have a sheet 12” x 12”

Edit: just dropped a piece off a 1st floor balcony and no issue…mind you not as thin as folder scales
About 7 years ago, I quit smoking and did so with vaping, which I also quit shortly after, but that's besides the point. Some of the parts for vape mods and atomizers were made of Ultem, specifically for the heat resistance. I too found Ultem to be adequately durable, easily handling drops on concrete, without damage.

I don't think it will ever replace G10 or micarta, but it's a nice alternative for those who like Ultem.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

standy99 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
jmj3esq wrote:
Thats nothing though.

______

Wow, tougher than G10 or Micarta is surprising to hear!

I just want to clarify, I wasn't doubting the durability of Ultem by questioning it but rather was genuinely curious about it.

I don't need you to sacrifice any material for my behalf but id be curious, in particular, about folder scales. Not permanently affixed and held tightly together with screws. Are the screw holes potential weak points? Do the screws create pressure points? I’d be most concerned about the screw holes being where a crack or break stems from.

The scale material left between the edge of the scale and the screw holes can be precariously thin on some knives. Would Ultem maintain its durability at those thicknesses?

ekastanis wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:33 am
Mushroom wrote:

Lexan (polycarbonate) is not fragile. It scratches easily but is quite durable. It's used to make safety lenses and shields, machine guards, optical discs, etc. Are you perhaps thinking of acrylic?

I believe I was referring to Lexan. I don’t exactly remember what material the recent knife scales were made of, so in that case it very well may have been acrylic that I was talking about. I'm very familiar with acrylic though. I’ve done a lot of plastic thermoforming and primarily used acrylic but, admittedly, little polycarbonate.

My experience with polycarbonate comes mostly from paintball marker grips. (As odd and niche as it may be) It was a popular choice for grips because it had good clarity and was tougher than acrylic but even still the grips were plagued by issues of cracking and breaking around the screw holes.

As I said, I don’t exactly remember what the recent knife scales were made of but if I recall correctly, they were being listed and sold as “Lexan.” (Polycarbonate) They were a flash in the pan compared even to Ultem (Polyetherimide) scales and I just assumed it was because they were not durable enough in that application, similar to how the grips on paintball markers were not durable enough.
-Nick :bug-red
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Another shot:

bladesandbeverages

Post by bladesandbeverages »

jmj3esq wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:57 pm
Another shot:

This looks great
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Ok that's hot. And I have the KnifeCenter N5 in blackened CruWear coming.....
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:31 pm
standy99 wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
jmj3esq wrote:
Thats nothing though.

______

Wow, tougher than G10 or Micarta is surprising to hear!

I just want to clarify, I wasn't doubting the durability of Ultem by questioning it but rather was genuinely curious about it.

I don't need you to sacrifice any material for my behalf but id be curious, in particular, about folder scales. Not permanently affixed and held tightly together with screws. Are the screw holes potential weak points? Do the screws create pressure points? I’d be most concerned about the screw holes being where a crack or break stems from.

The scale material left between the edge of the scale and the screw holes can be precariously thin on some knives. Would Ultem maintain its durability at those thicknesses?

ekastanis wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:33 am
Mushroom wrote:

I believe I was referring to Lexan. I don’t exactly remember what material the recent knife scales were made of, so in that case it very well may have been acrylic that I was talking about. I'm very familiar with acrylic though. I’ve done a lot of plastic thermoforming and primarily used acrylic but, admittedly, little polycarbonate.

My experience with polycarbonate comes mostly from paintball marker grips. (As odd and niche as it may be) It was a popular choice for grips because it had good clarity and was tougher than acrylic but even still the grips were plagued by issues of cracking and breaking around the screw holes.

As I said, I don’t exactly remember what the recent knife scales were made of but if I recall correctly, they were being listed and sold as “Lexan.” (Polycarbonate) They were a flash in the pan compared even to Ultem (Polyetherimide) scales and I just assumed it was because they were not durable enough in that application, similar to how the grips on paintball markers were not durable enough.
Polycarbonate and Acrylic are different in their toughness, but similar in having a high coefficient of thermal expansion. When fastened to steel the fastener holes can experience high stresses due to thermal movement. Polycarbonate is also susceptible to chemical attack which can cause embrittlement.
Stas

Post by Stas »

jmj3esq wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:57 pm
Another shot:

A beauty! Imagine with handmade grooved pattern it will look like amber.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I just received my second set of Ultem sclaes, this time for my PM2 Wharncliffe. Im still really liking these scales and would recommend. They dont stay in stock long at rippsgaragetech.com.

Enjoy

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Here are some fluted RGT black Ultem scales along with a DLC Lynch wire replacement clip on my DLC Cruwear Lil Native. The scales are very nicely finished, plus they’re super light! The pen is a short black Ultem Bolt pen from Tactile Turn, also super light and highly recommended!
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

jmj3esq wrote:

If had them installed for moths with fairly heavy use and they are still flawless with no spider cracks or any other damage at all. It is a stronger material than most think.
ratthew

Post by ratthew »

jmj3esq wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:29 am
jmj3esq wrote:

If had them installed for moths with fairly heavy use and they are still flawless with no spider cracks or any other damage at all. It is a stronger material than most think.
I had two sets of ultem scales for my PM2 which both developed numerous cracks around the stop pin within a week of installation, which turned me off the material. I thought I had maybe overtightened the first set, but I made a concerted effort to only go finger tight on the second and had the same result. I wonder if I just have had bad batches or bad luck with it?
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I have a feeling a lot of what is being sold as Ultem is not the same material, or is otherwise just made to a poor standard. That would explain the difference in apparent performance.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm glad the stuff is so readily available for the folks that want it. I'll always be a fan of innovation. You guys can keep the pee colored ones though. If I drop my knife in the toilet for some heretofore unknown reason, I need to be able to see it to fish it out quickly. I can't be blindly splashing around in there trying to find it by touch, or I'll end up violating the 5-second rule.

...Also, I really don't like the color.
--Jeremy