Sage 5-Rex121 -Forum knife- Sal-series

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: Sage 5-Rex121 -Forum knife- Sal-series

Post by Airlsee »

I hate burnt orange, but some of my favorite knives don those scales so I succumb...

1:09:44 ; I tried to link to the correct start time, but the site didn't cooperate.

I'm definitely looking forward to a Sage 5 LW in Rex121!
So it goes.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

To be fair, I think it’s a little ways out still and may not even end up being burnt orange.
Thankfully, there’s not really a color I don’t like.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Interesting how polarizing burnt orange seems to be... most either love (like me) or hate it, few seem to be neutral on this color...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Honestly couldn't care less what color or what model it debuts in, just as long as we finally get to try out some Spyderco REX-121!!! :cheap-sunglasses :smiling-heart-eyes Have been wanting to try this steel from Spyderco since experiencing it years ago in a Farid custom I got to try out for awhile. :star-struck
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

I have knives in REX121, and they're very time-consuming to sharpen. That said though, I had them convexed about 10 years ago and I've only ever had to strop them back. I've never had to sharpen them since. Very thick blades though, and I'd be very wary about them having slicer-thin stock at 70 HRC.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Was just thinking the other day I'd like to see the Sage 5 in more steels. Wouldn't have figured they'd be releasing one in something as crazy as REX121, but I'm all for it :cheap-sunglasses
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
gooeytek

Post by gooeytek »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:24 pm
Honestly couldn't care less what color or what model it debuts in, just as long as we finally get to try out some Spyderco REX-121!!! :cheap-sunglasses :smiling-heart-eyes Have been wanting to try this steel from Spyderco since experiencing it years ago in a Farid custom I got to try out for awhile. :star-struck
Yup, that's where I started with REX-121 also, from Farid's run of K2's and mules. I then got a 10V Spyderco K2 and that is easier to work with than the REX's that I have. Edge geometry is really the key here. Since the REX-121 blades I have are so thick, they take more effort to use.

I personally think more knives in 10V or 15V would be a better alternative for real-world use given that they can be had in knives with thinner blade stock, and Spyderco already uses them.

HRC bragging rights though...REX-121 all the way :cheap-sunglasses

I was also able to get a Dwyer custom SnG in REX-121, but it was left in the annealed state so... kinda pointless. Sold that one.