MagnaCut in Seki knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Haunted House

Re: MagnaCut in Seki knives

Post by Haunted House »

That’s awesome to hear MC will make it to Seki knives!
I do hope it isn’t limited to Salt series. Imo, it deserves to see widespread model implementation (that includes Taiwan models too)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

PStone wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:30 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:02 am
Farmer wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:03 am
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:22 pm
Interesting. I wonder if it will phase out LC200N on Seki models. Could the Seki made salt series support three different steels?

Just kind of thinking out loud but ever since Magnacut was officially designated as a Salt series steel by Spyderco, I’ve held the belief that they will need to carefully consider which knives use Magnacut. That said, a Delica in Magnacut would be iconic but it might not be possible because it’s not a Salt series knife. Of course, Salt 2 is the obvious alternative but that doesn't quite have the same prestige as “Delica 4 Magnacut.”
My guess is the presence of non rust-proof steel liners might make it less likely in the Delica?
Thats what I'm thinking too but it’s difficult to say for sure. I’m convinced that a Spyderco “anything” would have buyers in Magnacut but im not sure that its destined for anywhere else but the Salt Series. So far, Salt Series steels have only ever been used on Salt Series knives. I feel like Magnacut has the same fate.
Was the original Warrior a salt series? I know it used H1, but don’t think it was actually a salt model. H1 was used for its differential hardness capability, not necessarily for corrosion resistance. But that’s the only exception I can think of.
Correct and was not designated as a Salt series in information pertaining to the Warrior . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
bladesandbeverages

Post by bladesandbeverages »

Let’s say they make a delica or any standard model in magnacut and keep they same liners they are currently using. Maybe it just wouldn’t be a salt knife. The Caribbean has stainless liners, which are not rust proof like LC200N. This knife is part of the salt series but maybe the liners used are more rust resistant than the liners used in other models. I don’t know but time will tell a lot.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:54 am
PStone wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:30 am

Was the original Warrior a salt series? I know it used H1, but don’t think it was actually a salt model. H1 was used for its differential hardness capability, not necessarily for corrosion resistance. But that’s the only exception I can think of.
I think you're correct, I don't believe it was sold or marketed as a Salt Series knife. That being said, its a full tang H1 fixed blade with FRN scales, so it could probably be considered part of the salt series based on the build alone. Depending on what material the guard and pins are made from, it could probably fit in as part of the Salt Series.
I agree that it could fit in the salt series based on build, also depending on pins/bolster. But that’s exactly the issue I can see happening. See MC in other models after the Salt designation, and then salt status expectations not being met. The Warrior is my example. The H1 blade steel combined with the way it’s built (akin to the other Salt models) really does lend at least both of us to believe that this is a Salt model. I would hate to see that happen with MC or any steel. Buy a magnacut delica and thinking “it’s magnacut so it’s gotta be a salt!” And then get a rusty pivot.
PStone

Post by PStone »

bladesandbeverages wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:28 pm
Let’s say they make a delica or any standard model in magnacut and keep they same liners they are currently using. Maybe it just wouldn’t be a salt knife. The Caribbean has stainless liners, which are not rust proof like LC200N. This knife is part of the salt series but maybe the liners used are more rust resistant than the liners used in other models. I don’t know but time will tell a lot.
The Caribbean liners themselves actually are LC200N. And the hardware and clip are Ti.

From Spyderco website:
The inner side of the scales is also machined to accept the nested, corrosion-resistant LC200N liners that provide impressive structural strength and form the foundation of the knife's Compression Lock® mechanism.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C217GSF/1135
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

MagnaCut RockJumper/LeafJumper, or other potential handle-forward backlock designs, is what I’m looking for most, but there are several knives that I think are excellent candidates (like the XL Stretch).

I am still curious about what color would be paired with MagnaCut and I still like my suggestion for a red-orange.

In the same vein as colors, I’m also still curious about various other kinds of handle materials that could be functional for Salt knives, but I guess that is another topic.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:57 pm

I am still curious about what color would be paired with MagnaCut and I still like my suggestion for a red-orange.
Please
cjk

Post by cjk »

I for one don't think having both the "Delica 4 Magnacut" and the "Magnacut Salt 2" would be confusing in the least.

I would think you'd want to use the same lockbar material on both just for simplicity's sake, and both the lockbar and blade could be used in either model.
bladesandbeverages

Post by bladesandbeverages »

PStone wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:37 pm
bladesandbeverages wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:28 pm
The Caribbean liners themselves actually are LC200N. And the hardware and clip are Ti.

From Spyderco website:
The inner side of the scales is also machined to accept the nested, corrosion-resistant LC200N liners that provide impressive structural strength and form the foundation of the knife's Compression Lock® mechanism.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/C217GSF/1135
This has me curious. Appreciate you posting the link. Check out the description of the liners in this one. A YouTuber recently posted that the liners of his Caribbean had rust spots all over them after taking it in salt water. After seeing that I started searching and came across this. One version of the Caribbean says LC200N liners and the other says stainless steel.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -Leaf/1091
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:57 pm
MagnaCut RockJumper/LeafJumper, or other potential handle-forward backlock designs, is what I’m looking for most, but there are several knives that I think are excellent candidates (like the XL Stretch).

In the same vein as colors, I’m also still curious about various other kinds of handle materials that could be functional for Salt knives, but I guess that is another topic.
I like the cut of your jib, sir.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

spydergoat wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:18 pm
Great to hear that Seki Spydercos will have magnacut options in the future. Love my LC200N Salts but I am excited to try this new steel in Salt models or the Delica/Endura- either way I am happy.
Further to your point, I wonder if MagnaCut will make LC200N a bit redundant? As I understand it MC has better edge holding but LC200N is tougher. I would guess that for folders it is edge holding that will be, on average, the more desired of those two characteristics. However a larger fixed blade designed for rougher use might benefit from the extra toughness that LC200N brings.
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

I have far too many knives. A really silly number. And more of them are Spydercos than any other make, by quite some distance. I won’t be buying many more knives in future.

BUT, I could be tempted out of self-imposed exile by lightweight folders in magnacut, and the lightweight Stretch XL or lightweight fixed blades (original Temperance, Street Bowie, etc) in high-end steels (most definitely including magnacut).
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Farmer wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:03 am
Further to your point, I wonder if MagnaCut will make LC200N a bit redundant?
It seems to on paper! I like LC200n a lot though and my salts and waterway aren't going anywhere.
Kale

Post by Kale »

I would LOVE a Magnacut Tasman Salt!
Brummie

Post by Brummie »

Magnacut Spyderhawk
Magnacut Lightweight Stretch XL
Magnacut Lightweight Dyad C44
Magnacut original Temperance
Magnacut Street Bowie

Thank you.
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

It’ll be interesting to see what color handles they get.
I’d like to suggest Pine Green, or some other version of dark green 🌲
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

I'd be really up for some flashy orange/red as someone proposed in another thread.
Or some flashy blue or purple...