Over looked Gem

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fharing45

Over looked Gem

Post by Fharing45 »

Wow Spyderco knocked this one out of the park. Simply a brilliantly made knife. :bug-red-white :bug-red-white :bug-red-white

Evil D

Re: Over looked Gem

Post by Evil D »

It wasn't too overlooked while I had one, I was singing it's praises quite a bit. I sold mine to a retired police officer who fell in love with it but never would have bought one at full price.

My biggest complaints where that it sliced like a brick and the factory bevel had to be something insane like 60 degrees inclusive, I literally dished and wore out a whole set of Edge Pro stones doing a 30 degree inclusive reprofile on it, and the bevel on the tanto tip ended up being a good 1/4 inch wide. Still, I would aaaaabsolutely love to see a sprint of this one in any good steel, I've been waiting for a good excuse to buy another one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm curious? Is S30V the only blade steel they ever made those Vallotton models in? I remember some time back when David was bragging about his. I've never owned or used one but it is one model that I've wondered how it would be with a supersteel blade.

If they ever made those in a full SE blade that would be awesome!
TomahawkT10

Post by TomahawkT10 »

The only issue with this knife is it looks a bit like a weapon. I think that's why it's not super popular. I may be wrong so apologies if so... It took me a long time to warm up to the Yojimbo 2 for this reason, but then i realized it could be used like a razor blade for fine cutting or to slice through amazon boxes with ease... that tip does worry me though.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It's not super popular because it is heavy, wide, and expensive. At least mine is. However, it's a beauty that is a testament to the knife maker's skills who Spyderco uses make it.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

this was one of those models i scrolled past a hundred times and never saw. when i saw it, i had to have one. i've never used it though. it sits in my collection as the piece of art it is.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:27 am
this was one of those models i scrolled past a hundred times and never saw. when i saw it, i had to have one. i've never used it though. it sits in my collection as the piece of art it is.
Perfectly sums up my experience with it as well.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

It's such a looker, but carries like a 1/2" ratchet. That said, I wish I never sold mine... It's one of those knives that has a soul.

The magic didn't quite translate fully to the Lil version IMO, lacking some of the badassery. I really hope they think twice in the future about the 4 way clip when they are drilling a knife like this, especially with a bolster.
Last edited by abbazaba on Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I have the lil guy.. as mentioned, definitley not the sliciest blade Spyderco makes, but very robust and typically Taichung sharp nonetheless. The f&f is remarkable.. the poslished g10 inset into the stainless bolsters.. truly fantastic craftsmanship. The action is smooth & thumb stud lock-up feels really secure. It is a very, very well-done knife.. that I almost never carry hahah.

The Lil Sub-Hilt is a brick. Off the top of my head it weighs five and some change ounces, which makes it feel very heavy for its profile. I don't necessarily consider myself someone who is overly weight conscious when it comes to knives, but it is glaringly obvious to me every time I pick it up that it weighs 2-3 times as much as most modern knives its size.

The Sub-Hilt is not a model that would typically appeal to me, especially the smaller version of it, but I was able to purchase it at a steal of a price when it was dc'd. Like, almost literally haha.. BHQ ran a combo sale at the end of 2019 and bundled the Lil Sub-Hilt with a Lil Native back lock for $134.99. This price was an error on their part, which they quickly reversed on the site.. but I was able to add it to my cart, check out, and they honored the sale. Til this day, it's one of the best "knife deals" I've ever gotten haha. I've thought about adding a full-size to my collection, but unless another amazing deal comes along, I don't think another Sub-Hilt is in my future; I just can't justify the purchase to myself, especially at current pricing.. I have so many other knives that I would carry before reaching for a SH that the value just isn't there for me. Really cool knives though, for sure!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

It is especially cool with the d/a auto conversion by Vallotton himself. RIP. It's a real prize of my collection.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have always been impressed of the workmanship being so refined . The right hand liner lock is the only reason It is not in my collection. Definitely not a knife for everyone but those who have one totally get it . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
z1r

Post by z1r »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:35 am
It's such a looker, but carries like a 1/2" ratchet. That said, I wish I never sold mine... It's one of those knives that has a soul.

The magic didn't quite translate fully to the Lil version IMO, lacking some of the badassery. I really hope they think twice in the future about the 4 way clip when they are drilling a knife like this, especially with a bolster.
I laugh because, for over 30 years I carried a Buck 110 in a back pocket or a Schrade folder. Both BIG, Heavy knives with no clips. Today, with all the CF or FRN scales, knives weigh half as much. Working in an office, those newer knives fit my attire better. That said, the minute I picked up a Sub-hilt, I knew it was coming home with me. It's fit my attire nicely when I retire!
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

This is my fathers favorite knife in his spyderco folder collection and maybe knife collection period. He’s had it for a long time, I think when it was first released was around the time he picked one up. I kinda tease him by calling it a “gimmick” knife, since it’s really just an overbuilt flash piece, but even at that it’s still very well made how everything’s fitted so flush, amazing lock up and action, can’t go unnoticed or unappreciated. Definitely not the type of knife either of us would carry often cus of its size/bulkiness/weight. Especially not me anyway, he’ll still carry his once in a while.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Soulrack wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:38 am
It is especially cool with the d/a auto conversion by Vallotton himself. RIP. It's a real prize of my collection.

I just recently considered buying one of these until I saw the price..$1k is out of my price range for aaaany knife.
~David
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:02 am
Soulrack wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:38 am

I just recently considered buying one of these until I saw the price..$1k is out of my price range for aaaany knife.

Wow! I didn't know what they are going for. I was lucky enough to score this one way back!

https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/products/152541/
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I actually bought a second one from Blade HQ in 2014 for ~$350 that had a really off centered blade that I returned. I should have kept it!
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I always thought it looked like a mafia captain's knife. Missed out on calling it the Spyderco Gambino.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I always thought of the Vallatton as a showpiece, like the Euroedge. Beautifully made and lovely to own.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Seems like a great knife for poking things. Wish they made the P'kal blade that thick.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:48 pm
Seems like a great knife for poking things. Wish they made the P'kal blade that thick.

It is practically a folding bayonet. My favorite part of this knife was how the thumb hole stood up out of the blade, it was a joy to open. At the time people raved about how beefy the BG1 liner lock was and I'd always chime in about how bomb proof this one seemed.
~David