Shaman 15V, Bad QC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: Shaman 15V, Bad QC

Post by Airlsee »

I believe it's the unpolished/dry G10 flats.
So it goes.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

As was said before, it is a luxury item. Nobody is stealing anything from anyone. They have a faster connection, or a bot or whatever, but they are just playing the game. The hype that surrounds exclusives, sprints etc and their success is, in part, so because of the flippers. If we were all meant to have a copy of the knife it wouldn't be a limited run, there would be enough to go around. All this demand is artificially inflated by limited supply. Basic economics. You want increase demand, then restrict supply (Scarcity Principle). These runs sell, and so quickly at that, precisely because they are unobtanium and the GHIs (gotta-have-its) are going to fight the bots to get them. If someone WINs and manages to snag an exclusive/sprint/whatever, they get that endorphin rush and add another expensive piece to the sock drawer. Even if one is an avid user, they inevitably have WAY more steel than they could ever use up. So, it truly is a luxury item. Be faster on the next drop then you can get the endorphin hit, or buy it on the secondary and pay a little more.

All that being said, I have lots of pieces. But I am north-of-the-border so exclusives are very difficult to obtain, and sprints only less so. If you take it too seriously, you take all the fun out of it for yourself and just get all tense. Then you probably shouldn't have sharp objects.

Just my $0.02
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I am North as well and can not afford the risk for a luxury item that does not make it home. Nice in a way that I am not invested emotionally or any other way than wanting the OP to come back and highlight the QC issue. The first thing I noticed was a line above the Spyder running tip to hole on the blade. I did not really see the dry G10 until it was pointed out. But that may be my screen, again.

"Flipper" must be the most toxic word on this forum. Too bad. When I read the OP I thought it would be great if I had the disposable cash to buy 3 of any of the same knife for my 2 boys and I. And buying unobtanium just makes it a little more... I guess it is all about what one chooses to read into any story.

My opinion, how any person chooses to capitalize on the opportunities before them is up to them in free society. Which gets into, "don't hate the player, hate the game." My deepest opinion, the forum would be better if discussion about "flipping, flippers and all things flip" were an excluded subject. Much like politics and religion.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

My 2 are great. My first shamas and very impressed. Love the g10 too
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:37 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:31 pm
SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:24 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:18 pm
Even if they are a flipper, why should you guys care? It’s not like they're hoarding them or destroying them specifically so no one else can have them. The people who want them still get them, they just pay a little more money for it. Think of it as a convenience fee - Fight the crowds to get one like they did or pay a little extra to browse freely and buy from them when it’s easy.

They probably haven’t responded again because they see everyone unnecessarily trash talking them. What would be the point?

God forbid anyone try to help. Nope, attack him because he bought more knives than you babies wanted him to buy. :eye-roll
Flipper talk... ;)
Thinking about it. I could’ve bought numerous 15V Manix, PM2, and now Shaman. I don't even want them and yet I've still had ample opportunity to buy one. If someone really wants one and cant get one, they’re going to have to look elsewhere for sympathy because I don't have any for them.
Good for you. Some people have real jobs, and can't be online 24/7 for that magic random 30 seconds when a drop happens. I don't recall anyone asking for your sympathy. :thinking

Flippers are parasites, plain and simple. That's irrefutable. :yawn
I have a real job managing million dollar structural building demo jobs and I scored one Manix, two PM2's and two Shaman's over the past 3 months since these started dropping. I could have got one from DLT yesterday as well.
Maybe you are the one that needs a "real" job.

I agree with Nick. QC issues are real. My first Shaman has the scale proud of the backspacer on one side while the other side is flush. My second one had the pivot so tight it took two hands to even start the action of closing and it had to be adjusted several times before the blade play vs drop action was correct.
Unless Spyderco is shipping torx bits with the knife, this is unacceptable for a $271 knife.

Y'all are a bunch of haters. Regardless if someone flips a knife or not, it's none of your business. Calling for people to be banned for supporting the OP shows what a bunch of keyboard warriors some of you are.

I have over 50 Spydies totaling over $12,000 in purchases since 2019. Most have been kept and I have sold some I didnt care for and made a small profit. Some I have lost money after eBay fees and shipping. The Cutlery Shoppe DLC S90V Native 5 LW wasn't my cup of tea. I hated the FRN on the N5. The CF S90V is a real knife compared to the plastic fantastic FRN model.

Y'all need to chill. This is supposed to be a community of support for like minded people. Instead some of you fall into the hive mind of "kill the witch" once one person start the chant.
Probably the most disgraceful thread here on the forums since I joined. Y'all should be proud.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:05 pm
I hope you are confused. Mushroom (Nick) is not kindling anything, he stood up as a voice of reason. Then was accused of being a flipper by some reactionary newb. That's absolutely ridiculous and you should know better CabFrank...
Fortunately, I am not one of those internet people who always argues about everything, and always has to be right, so I will not respond to this. Almost.
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Erich wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:35 am
Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:35 am
Erich wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:29 am
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:14 am
Lots of unnecessary anger towards the OP.

Owning three of these knives does not automatically make anyone a flipper. Could very well be a collector or someone buying pre-need replacements. Maybe wants to keep one as a safe queen, one as a user, and re-sell the last one for a bit of a profit. (Because he can.)

Regardless of what his plans are for the knives, that shouldn't matter to anyone here but him. What should matter is the potential issue with quality control.

OP, you could always contact Spydercos warranty and repair department to try and resolve the issue with them.

Warranty and repair info - https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/

The photo you posted definitely shows a blemish on the scale but its difficult to really see what it is. I would recommend taking some higher quality photos that show the blemish better.
You're being obtuse. Accounts defending flippers should be automatically banned.
:yawn
Excuse me, I meant to say *willfully* obtuse.

A spade is a spade; political correctness is cowardice. Flippers steal knives from legitimate users only to upcharge later. They dont care about the knives. And if you think "muh free market" well i'm sorry to tell you that the market wasn't free in the first place because of the MAP price control, which encourages inflation generally.
Uhm how is it political correctness? People can do whatever they want with their money. First come first served. All the salty people are just angry that they missed out on the knife, presumably.

And also it’s not “stealing” not even remotely close. They paid what everyone else paid for the knife. It’s not stealing and you know it.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Foehammer wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:12 am
First come first served. All the salty people are just angry that they missed out on the knife, presumably.
I got one. It was a PITA, but I managed to since I bought a notification app that pushed notifications to my phone more quickly than email normally would, and I work in tech so I'm already by a computer most hours of the day anyway.

But I still don't think that people should be defending bad behavior. The people who weren't able to do all that, or the ones that feel like they shouldn't have had to, are rightfully displeased with it.
Foehammer wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:12 am
And also it’s not “stealing” not even remotely close. They paid what everyone else paid for the knife. It’s not stealing and you know it.
It's exploitative, and you know it. Go buy a pallet of toilet paper at Walmart, and stand outside and sell it to people at a markup before anyone has a chance to buy it in the store. See how long it takes before people are rightfully running you off with pitchforks.

The only difference here is that people have decided since it's a "luxury item" it makes it okay. This is functionally equivalent to not putting your shopping cart in the corral before leaving the grocery store parking lot; it doesn't hurt anyone, but it's still selfish and self-serving.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Superflex wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:22 pm
SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:37 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:31 pm
SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:24 pm

Flipper talk... ;)
Thinking about it. I could’ve bought numerous 15V Manix, PM2, and now Shaman. I don't even want them and yet I've still had ample opportunity to buy one. If someone really wants one and cant get one, they’re going to have to look elsewhere for sympathy because I don't have any for them.
Good for you. Some people have real jobs, and can't be online 24/7 for that magic random 30 seconds when a drop happens. I don't recall anyone asking for your sympathy. :thinking

Flippers are parasites, plain and simple. That's irrefutable. :yawn
I have a real job managing million dollar structural building demo jobs and I scored one Manix, two PM2's and two Shaman's over the past 3 months since these started dropping. I could have got one from DLT yesterday as well.
Maybe you are the one that needs a "real" job.

I agree with Nick. QC issues are real. My first Shaman has the scale proud of the backspacer on one side while the other side is flush. My second one had the pivot so tight it took two hands to even start the action of closing and it had to be adjusted several times before the blade play vs drop action was correct.
Unless Spyderco is shipping torx bits with the knife, this is unacceptable for a $271 knife.

Y'all are a bunch of haters. Regardless if someone flips a knife or not, it's none of your business. Calling for people to be banned for supporting the OP shows what a bunch of keyboard warriors some of you are.

I have over 50 Spydies totaling over $12,000 in purchases since 2019. Most have been kept and I have sold some I didnt care for and made a small profit. Some I have lost money after eBay fees and shipping. The Cutlery Shoppe DLC S90V Native 5 LW wasn't my cup of tea. I hated the FRN on the N5. The CF S90V is a real knife compared to the plastic fantastic FRN model.

Y'all need to chill. This is supposed to be a community of support for like minded people. Instead some of you fall into the hive mind of "kill the witch" once one person start the chant.
Probably the most disgraceful thread here on the forums since I joined. Y'all should be proud.
Awww. Good for you, bless your heart. :yawn :eye-roll

I have more knives than you, I do have a real job, and didn't ever say I had missed out on this knife. (Whoopee, a million bucks? The aerospace budgets I've managed are significantly more than that. Orders of magnitude bigger...) I also personally could have purchased several of each drop. Not at all what we're talking about here.

Doesn't change the fact that flippers are parasites. Doesn't matter where/what. It's the same BS here, video game consoles, graphics cards, tickets, the new hot Christmas toy du jour, and even groceries, toilet paper, cleaning products, gasoline, etc. when there's a civil panic. The list goes on and on. The whole COVID fiasco only bred more scumball flippers.

Flippers plain SUCK, and there's simply no excuse for defending the sleazy practice. I guess it's not hard to figure out where the wholesome morals exist. ',:-|

QC issues aside, yeah, this thread is trash. You helped a lot...
Last edited by SpyderPhreak on Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster, were you able to get ahold of Matt?

Patiently waiting for your PM,
Jeffrey
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

bUt YoU dOnT HaVe tO BuY fRoM A fLiPpEr

Cope harder.

Also, how did you geniuses figure that said poster was a flipper? Literally no evidence for that. Could be some random dude who loves shamans and 15v.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Foehammer wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:09 am

Cope harder.

Also, how did you geniuses figure that said poster was a flipper? Literally no evidence for that. Could be some random dude who loves shamans and 15v.
Check his 6 posts. All pertaining to alert threads of the various 15V models drops and the multiples he scored from various dealers.

This thread has really turned into something else though, I'm shocked it's not closed.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:12 am
Foehammer wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:09 am

Cope harder.

Check his 6 posts. All pertaining to alert threads of the various 15V models drops and the multiples he scored from various dealers.

This thread has really turned into something else though, I'm shocked it's not closed.
Same. I know it has been reported.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

the facts are one person bought multiple copies of a knife and the thread blew up as an anti-flipping tirade as if there are no valid reasons for purchasing three copies of a knife that don't include flipping. so, the conversation about flipping is all just rude conjecture. and saying, "i can't even sell this." still doesn't have to imply an intent to flip, but could easily just mean to express frustration over legitimate qc issues for a $270 knife. you know... like, "i was going to give this as a gift to my son, but it's got this issue and i can't even sell it to get my money back!"

logical posts, however inflammatory they might be, are being treated as defense of flipping. but, as i (and others) already noted, flipping shouldn't even be a part of this discussion. many of you need to take a step back and relax. this thread isn't about flipping; it's about qc. you all sound like politicians that change the subject to some recent tragedy so people won't notice or remember what they're doing wrong.

this post is about qc. i had a similar experience when i brought up qc issues with my ayoob sprint. the spydiecult is always quick to divert and defend. it's a real shame. you can be a fan of a company and still have the ability to see things that are wrong. it is possible.

one last thing... even if this dude is flipping the knives, that's his business. if you know he's doing it and you think he's wrong, say your peace and move on, but to not know and still turn the thread into all this...? you all are wrong about your moral superiority.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I don't think you can lump gasoline, groceries and luxury knives together.

I also think everybody is missing the point of these limited run knives. It is not to get knives into the hands of the people who will most treasure them, and use them to their full extent of their designed capabilities. It is to generate revenue for the retailer and manufacturer. I like Spyderco, DLT, Cutlery Shop, BladeHQ, etc... But business is business. This is not something there is actually enough for everyone to go around, that is a necessity, like toilet paper and lysol wipes, that someone is then buying up to disadvantage others. This is a LUXURY ITEM. This is a very limited run, with a tons of hype prior to each drop (complete with digital countdowns on some of the sites), designed to generate rabid feelings of NEED and FOMO and fierce competition. This is exploitation of Scarcity Principle and FOMO to generate a whole bunch of sales in a short order of time to reduce the risk of being left with any excess inventory and especially to generate rabid feelings of NEED for the next drop particularly if you missed on this one. Sure there are those who will take advantage of it and turn around and sell the couple extra they were able to get for a profit. They can do this because of that generated feeling of NEED and FOMO. If the tactic wasn't so successful, the flippers wouldn't exist. Nobody is flipping VG10 Delicas or S45 PM2s.

In the end, It is just a knife. There will be another. Not worth an ulcer over.
Last edited by bobnikon on Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageHappy feet didn’t work . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

OK, that's it, I'm finally convinced! We should all start taking advantage of everyone around us, all the time, without remorse. :O What's it matter, it's not illegal, so that must mean we can! If we can, we should! ',:-| See my point?

bobnikon wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:20 am

I also think everybody is missing the point of these limited run knives. It is not to get knives into the hands of the people who will most treasure them, and use them to their full extent of their designed capabilities. It is to generate revenue for the retailer and manufacturer. I like Spyderco, DLT, Cutlery Shop, BladeHQ, etc... But business is business. This is not something there is actually enough for everyone to go around, that is a necessity, like toilet paper and lysol wipes, that someone is then buying up to disadvantage others. This is a LUXURY ITEM. This is a very limited run, with a tons of hype prior to each drop (complete with digital countdowns on some of the sites), designed to generate rabid feelings of NEED and FOMO and fierce competition. This is exploitation of Scarcity Principle and FOMO to generate a whole bunch of sales in a short order of time to reduce the risk of being left with any excess inventory and especially to generate rabid feelings of NEED for the next drop particularly if you missed on this one. Sure there are those who will take advantage of it and turn around and sell the couple extra they were able to get for a profit. They can do this because of that generated feeling of NEED and FOMO. If the tactic wasn't so successful, the flippers wouldn't exist. Nobody is flipping VG10 Delicas or S45 PM2s.

No. Spyderco does these sprints/exclusives in a large part for us knife nuts/steel junkies here. Sal has said as much. Sure, a side-effect is profit, but they don't have to do it, especially not the numbers of them they do. How many combinations have come to pass because they were mentioned or asked for right HERE on this very forum? Several...

Show me another knife company doing as many sprints/exclusives, in such a variety of new, cutting edge (see what I did there? ;)) steels. Not one other company. Not one. :bug-white-red

bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:37 am
OK, that's it, I'm finally convinced! We should all start taking advantage of everyone around us, all the time, without remorse. :O What's it matter, it's not illegal, so that must mean we can! If we can, we should! ',:-| See my point?

bobnikon wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:20 am

No. Spyderco does these sprints/exclusives in a large part for us knife nuts/steel junkies here. Sal has said as much. Sure, a side-effect is profit, but they don't have to do it, especially not the numbers of them they do. How many combinations have come to pass because they were mentioned or asked for right HERE on this very forum? Several...

Show me another knife company doing as many sprints/exclusives, in such a variety of new, cutting edge (see what I did there? ;)) steels. Not one other company. Not one. :bug-white-red
The first part of your response doesn't bear remark (other than this) due to the ludicrous nature.

It is their business model, upon which they have built a pretty avid and in some cases rabid following. Different flavours for different folks, all good just different. I don't think profit is as much a "side-effect" as you think. The numbers wouldnt' be near as low in the runs if the intent was to ensure the "knife nuts/steel junkies" got what they were owed. The generated NEED and FOMO ensures rapid sales of each production run and thus virtually removes risk of excess stock. Business not altruism.

If your posit really held water they could ensure that the registered population (as of a certain date) of the forum had access to 1 piece each, in a reserve batch of each sprint exclusive run, ordered in advance to ensure enough pieces were made. That would ensure the "knife nuts/steel junkies" got the pieces they were owed, and the rest would be released to the wild. That would theoretically increase sales (at least short term), and severely limit the effect/impact of flippers. But it would reduce the feeling of competition and FOMO and hence would likely lead to slower sales in the longer run. The Scarcity Principle works...

Still like their product for the most part and respect their business model and it's great effect.

Cheers
Last edited by bobnikon on Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

bobnikon wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:48 am
The first part of your response doesn't bear remark (other than this) due to the ludicrous nature.

Good, then it was clear, at least to you. I'm sure it won't be to everyone. :eye-roll Yes, it's ludicrous, it seems that things need to be taken to an extreme to make a point. Quite stupid. :pleading

bobnikon wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:48 am
Business not altruism.

I am fairly confident it's more of the latter than you realize.

Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:19 am
the facts are one person bought multiple copies of a knife and the thread blew up as an anti-flipping tirade as if there are no valid reasons for purchasing three copies of a knife that don't include flipping. so, the conversation about flipping is all just rude conjecture. and saying, "i can't even sell this." still doesn't have to imply an intent to flip, but could easily just mean to express frustration over legitimate qc issues for a $270 knife. you know... like, "i was going to give this as a gift to my son, but it's got this issue and i can't even sell it to get my money back!"

logical posts, however inflammatory they might be, are being treated as defense of flipping. but, as i (and others) already noted, flipping shouldn't even be a part of this discussion. many of you need to take a step back and relax. this thread isn't about flipping; it's about qc. you all sound like politicians that change the subject to some recent tragedy so people won't notice or remember what they're doing wrong.

this post is about qc. i had a similar experience when i brought up qc issues with my ayoob sprint. the spydiecult is always quick to divert and defend. it's a real shame. you can be a fan of a company and still have the ability to see things that are wrong. it is possible.

one last thing... even if this dude is flipping the knives, that's his business. if you know he's doing it and you think he's wrong, say your peace and move on, but to not know and still turn the thread into all this...? you all are wrong about your moral superiority.
Thank you. Wow I don’t get how some people just aren’t understanding this.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045