15V Shaman!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olditguy

Re: 15V Shaman!

Post by olditguy »

For me the slickness comes into play during one handed closing. I now use two hands always on the Shaman since dropping one on the kitchen floor tile tip first. That CTS-204P help up great and I was able to sharpen the small ding right out. It's my feet I'm worried about.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I like the smooth scales. Easy on the pockets, nice look, comfortable.

I was looking at the color today and decided the were grey/brown. In the right light they almost look dark grey. Anyone else see that?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:51 pm

I was looking at the color today and decided the were grey/brown. In the right light they almost look dark grey. Anyone else see that?

Really is a weird color. I've been thinking the same about the gray effect, but then in other light it's clearly a shade of brown or dark tan.

What kinda bothers me is that they chose to do the M390 Chief in the same color, that's kind of confusing now. Seems like the only difference is the stonewashed blade. Now if they ever decide to do a 15V Chief it's going to be very very similar to the M390 Sprint.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I am guessing the Native Chief with M390 was an exclusive similar to the Manix 2 Brown M390. All the same light brown color with M390. Something must have fell through with the exclusive deal leading Spyderco to sell direct from their website. Maybe they had other models ready to go as well or as least the G10. I seem to remember reading somewhere when they were choosing this 15V exclusive they already had brown scales, but I could have read into something a little too far. That is just my guess as to why that color matches so closely with the direct sale of the Chief giving a clue.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:18 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:51 pm

Really is a weird color. I've been thinking the same about the gray effect, but then in other light it's clearly a shade of brown or dark tan.

What kinda bothers me is that they chose to do the M390 Chief in the same color, that's kind of confusing now. Seems like the only difference is the stonewashed blade. Now if they ever decide to do a 15V Chief it's going to be very very similar to the M390 Sprint.
My guess the distributor that used the brown is no longer doing Spyderco Exclusive knives . It may be why the Chief was sold through SFO . That would free up the brown to be used elsewhere. Just a guess on my part . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Man lots of these on the the Facebook/reddit/bladeforums classified sections

I expected the shaman to be the most popular one judging from the old cruwear sprint days
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:58 am

I expected the shaman to be the most popular one judging from the old cruwear sprint days
Highly flippable
MRj “Weak things break!”
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

GarageBoy wrote:

Cost. MAP pushing $300 is really starting to get up there for what this knife is. :/ The ONLY reason I want one (and have one finally on the way) is that we're probably never getting a Maxamet Shaman.
Mrj wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:47 pm
Highly flippable
Yes, and this. :skull-crossbones :steam-nose :cussing :angry-horn-face :-1:
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:00 pm
GarageBoy wrote:

Cost. MAP pushing $300 is really starting to get up there for what this knife is. :/ The ONLY reason I want one (and have one finally on the way) is that we're probably never getting a Maxamet Shaman.
Mrj wrote:
Highly flippable
Costs have gone up to make so we want to keep Spyderco in business
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
SpyderPhreak

Post by SpyderPhreak »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:38 am
SpyderPhreak wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:00 pm
GarageBoy wrote:

Mrj wrote:
Highly flippable
Costs have gone up to make so we want to keep Spyderco in business

They have, and this can't be an easy steel to work with. Still, the Manix was almost HALF as much, and the manufacturing can't be that much different between the two.

IMG_8858small.jpg
Mine arrived today. :cheap-sunglasses Stonewash on my example is significantly less pronounced than on my 15V PM2 example (or any Spyderco Maxamet I've handled); I can still feel the grind lines in the blade on this one (and you can even hear them when you drag your fingernail lengthwise along the blade), whereas the PM2 is glass-smooth.

As a result of the small grind lines not being almost totally smoothed out, there are some slightly weird looking spots when you get it in the right lighting. As one person already reported, there's a faint looking line across the blade on the opposite side (about 1.5" from the plunge, right about where the saber line meets the spine), and an almost wavy looking spot just forward of the Spydie logo. Neither can be felt, just seen in the right lighting (which I can't seem to get to show on camera).

Not a complaint, just an observation. I couldn't care less, as this one will be USED! :bug-red-white
"Engineers don't idle well."

Thank you to our Veterans!
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

Mrj wrote:
Highly flippable
I'm not sure I agree, the first week or two of the small drops maybe, but now I've seen them sit today on Facebook at $300, plenty of them under $320 now. Sell on Ebay or Amazon and they are going to take 20-25% of your sell price in fees.

$300 doesn't even cover drop cost if you paid tax and to ship priority insured to the new owner.

Could be lots of reasons, economy, people still hoping for big drops, street price is so high there's not much room for secondary market but both the PM2 and Shaman 15v secondary market values are basically at drop price already once you factor in sales tax and shipping to a new owner.

Personally I think people vastly over estimate what someone can make flipping, especially now that the IRS is actively going after those using certain payment methods to dodge paying income taxes on the profits.

Let's assume you don't want to break state/federal tax laws and you bought a Shaman 15v at $271 and paid typical 8% sales tax and got free shipping, so you're in for $293, and you sell it for $350, sounds great! It probably costs $15 to ship it priority insured, unless you are breaking paypal's payment policies you owe them $13. So now your cost is $321 to sell/ship the knife and take a PPGS payment, so you made a whopping $29.

It gets worse, unless you're a business, this is considered "hobby income" which you can't deduct any of your costs/expenses against for income taxes purposes. So that means you can't deduct the $15 shipping it cost you, your time, packing materials, going to the post office etc. So you made $29, but you pay income tax on $42 (can't deduct shipping). Let's say you're the average middle class American and in the 22% income tax bracket, so now you lose another $10 in the income tax. So your $29 profit, is now $19.

Let's say you don't mind breaking state and federal tax laws, and paypal's rules, and you buy from a store with free shipping and that doesn't charge you sales tax. So your cost is $271, it costs $15 to ship, you force the buyer to use PPFF, for $350. Now your profit is $64. Not bad, but the risk is high, because Paypal and the IRS are actively coming after people hiding income this way and they just got $80 million in more funding to do so. Even at $64 and violating multiple state and federal tax laws, you'd have to sell 5 of them to pay for one you keep. How many hours do you have to spend to snag 5 drop knives, and how much is your free time worth. I just don't see the attraction in it unless you just really like to hunt the drops.
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Toddm wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:36 pm
Mrj wrote:
Highly flippable
I'm not sure I agree

You said wrote a lot to just say you disagree lol :winking-tongue
MRj “Weak things break!”
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

:rofl It's the scientist in me, always have to justify the viewpoint!
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I finally got one. Crazy price up here in canada but for me it's a must have. Stoked
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This comes up from time to time. The price difference between models. With people thinking the cost between the models can't possibly be that different. Sal has said many times, and in my 7 years on this forum he's never given me a reason to not take him at his word, that Spyderco's margins are pretty fixed. They don't arbitrarily charge more for one model than an another because it's more popular. If one model is more than the other, it's because it actually costs that much more to produce. Even if you think it shouldn't.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Just think how much cooler you look with the Shaman though 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😍😍😍😍😍😍
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Just got an in stock email from copper and clad

Zipper

Post by Zipper »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:56 pm
Just got an in stock email from copper and clad
Apparently they aren’t on the dealers list. I can say from 2 purchases they have been exceptionally good to deal with.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Somebody got em. OOS.

Dnwrghtsr

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I am surprised that more dealers have not received their shipments. The other two drops once they started seemed to gather speed quickly.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp