How do you afford so many Spyderco's?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
David Lowry

Post by David Lowry »

Great answers.

Thanks for responding! :)

Hey, it's free to chat on this forum so I'll keep doing that. All though I will not be able to "keep up" with you guys on knife buys.

Cheers,
David
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

vass wrote:cho !

no ! you suck it up !

vass
I'd send you a PM to continue this but unfortunitly you are either full or have that function turned off. I do not wish to continue it here because I don't want to crap over this or any other thread.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

*Cho* wrote: I do not wish to continue it here because I don't want to crap over this or any other thread.
:) :) :) :)
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well lets see, I'm single, live in a small apartment, have no pets. Last time I was in a bar was in the 20th Century. Same goes for movie theaters, restaraunts and barber shops. Don't gamble. Don't patronize hookers. Gave up smoking. Do drink a bit more that I use to, six pack of beer lasts only three weeks now instead of over a month. Longest trip I've taken in the last few years to the NYCKS last year. Have not sent Darth Tater on vacation, and have no plans to do so. Don't pay alimony or palimony. Have no kids and don't have to worry about any surprises in that area popping up. Work a four day week and try to arrange all my weekly shopping into one trip in order to minimize gas consumption. Buy only clothing sewn by child labor in third world sweatshops. Between not smoking, cutting down my salt intake, and liberal use of the Ignore List feature here I manage to avoid the expense of blood pressure and ulcer medication, not to mention visits to the doctor. Have zero debt and, most important of all, the good fortune to be paid rather well for my services. Beyond that, I neither question what anyone else does with their time and money nor see the need to justify what I do with mine.

*Cho*, the Ignore List is your friend, trust me. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

(Engage your sense of humor) :)
My friends, to be honest, actually I did some banks in our neighbourhood to afford some spydies. At the moment I am living as a fugitive, writting mostly from online coffees I can find on my road. The sad thing is only, that our banks are too poor, so I didnt took enough money to make my :spyder: -dreams come true.. I must go now, some patrol car is parking outside. I will stay in touch..
(You can put your sense of humour off..) :)

To be honest, I cant afford every spydie that I would like to. In our country spydies are much more expensive, because the wage is significantly lower than you could imagine. Thats why I have to think twice and pay once.. :(

Jano
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

For me, I guess it's "disposable income" in one sense. We have only one vehicle in our family - my wife's Explorer. She actually needs it for part of her work. I use the transit system. I don't have cable TV, just hi-speed internet. Just between those two, I'm figuring that gives us easily a couple of hundred per month extra. We finally finished payments on her truck and that sprung loose another $600 per month. I'm sort of on an "allowance" - my other passion is 8-ball in leagues here. This last season, I played on three different leagues, so between league fees, beer, cigs, lunch, etc it was costing me about $150/week, give or take. By not playing in the leagues and not drinking so much, I can pretty well afford a blade a week. The season ended in May. My wife also gets paid commission and quarterly performance bonuses, of which I get a portion of (a "small" portion - just kidding - we have a joint account) - we each take a bit for "fun money" - she usually buys clothes, I buy a new knife or two :) . I also get performance bonuses at year end. My knife making and leatherwork (mostly leatherwork), also generates a bit of income now and then - just enough to keep that part pretty well even. We still manage to put money away - we don't travel to foreign places all that often, but with both of us working in fairly successful jobs, we have a "comfortable" lifestyle, all things considered. If the feds didn't take half my paycheck, I could buy even more stuff :D

And finally - isn't that what credit cards are for? Just kidding, of course :D

- gord
saracen

Post by saracen »

Actually I cant afford too many, recently I had to put a hold on my spending, my choice, I've alway's liked the Para Millie but I have a Lil Temp and now we have the impending arrival of the Mini Manix, the Swick and who know's what else so I've got to sit down and decide what I'd really like the most..? and what I'd be able to appreciate sitting in a drawer for most of the time ?? .
:spyder: Paul.
David Lowry

Post by David Lowry »

The Deacon wrote:..... Beyond that, I neither question what anyone else does with their time and money nor see the need to justify what I do with mine......

Ya know.......you didn't have to answer ;) .
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Deacon

After that explanation, only one word comes to mind - "B_o_r_i_n_g"

:D Just joking my friend!!

David

(and who thinks I can "afford" my Spydies? I buy lots of stuff I can't afford ;) )
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
vass

Post by vass »

*Cho* wrote:I'd send you a PM to continue this but unfortunitly you are either full or have that function turned off. I do not wish to continue it here because I don't want to crap over this or any other thread.
cho !

whatever ! you can keep your crap !

vass
:spyder: DOG WILL HUNT :spyder:
charlie

Post by charlie »

I am 69 years old, retired from Boeing North American in 92, working since 1997 as a consultant to the Boeing Delta Rocket co. I have been working since I was 14 years old. Now I have money for extra things that I like, such as: helping grandchildren with things they need, I collect Spyderco Knives. Fly Fishing is my hobby and buy what I consider the best for my fishing equipment. Hang in there, family needs are first then after they grow up and support themselves you should have some funds for your desires :)
:spyder: Collector #047.
C.P. Adams Jr.
Senate

Post by Senate »

Personnally I buy a lot since recently, just graduated from school and found my first job so all these years of privation are hopefuly behind me. No family to support yet, no nasty habit (smoking or gambling ;) )...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
JD Spydo

Can you keep a secret???

Post by JD Spydo »

Well David I would like to share that with you but I better not :rolleyes: . You see David if I was to tell you that it wouldn't be a secret anymore :o .

You see David if you knew my secret and got to get knives the way I get them I know you would make it a point to overtake me :cool:

Hard work, staying single ( although my girlfriend has become a Spyderholic>>check out "pepsijay14" on EBay), no gambling, no drinking, No Rolex watches. Just me and the knives with the holes :rolleyes:

You're a good man David!! ;) so just go to ebay along with gun & knife shows and you will figure it out ;) :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

JD Spydo wrote: Hard work, staying single ( although my girlfriend has become a Spyderholic>>check out "pepsijay14" on EBay), no gambling, no drinking, No Rolex watches.
Hah Hah LOL ! :D The Key to Affording More Spydies = Staying Single!
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Terjay

Post by Terjay »

I´m just checking out a finnish internet auction site and sometimes I get lucky and find cheap spydies.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I can't unfortunately :( I live in one of those countries where the average income is around 300$ a month. And I'm not too different :o
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

dialex wrote:I can't unfortunately :( I live in one of those countries where the average income is around 300$ a month. And I'm not too different :o
YET! Just wait my friend...when you become a MORE well known knife designer/maker...WooooHooooo!!! The Good Book says,"Diligent hands produce wealth..." and diligent you are bro!

Ahhhhhh, David...I cannot afford much being the breadwinner of the home and because I do work in Corrections :o The last Spyder I actually "bought" was my Dodo and a FRN C29 for my brother in law...other than that, I been blessed with trades and gifts...

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)

Post by 224477 »

dialex wrote:I can't unfortunately :( I live in one of those countries where the average income is around 300$ a month. And I'm not too different :o
Alex, here we got this simillar... Mostly I can only afford knives round 80USD.
Everything whats over 150 bucks stays mostly in dreams..
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
VWTattoo

Well, My spending habits

Post by VWTattoo »

I tend to snag a new spydie at least every two weeks, if not more, as of late. I have a list of my Most Wanted Spydies that I am trying to complete, with the occasional oddball popping in there, such as on a deal that's too good to pass up.

I am a single guy, have no kids, and I have my own house. I don't blow my money in other dumb ways, and I make a good living doing Systems Engineering, so I have the disposable income. If I didn't also have the R32's monthly payment, I'd be able to buy even more.

Sure, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have so many knives, but a coin collector has money invested in his collection, as does any other collector of something with a high dollar price tag. I don't care how much I could sell them for, because they'll never be for sale anyway! :) :cool:
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
christopher

Post by christopher »

I started doing this knife thing back in the 80's. In order to afford it, I put myself on the "Blade of the Month" Program. If there's nothing interesting for one month, I just wait. Several new ideas will show up next month to compete for the budget! :)