MagnaCut in Seki knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Farmer

MagnaCut in Seki knives

Post by Farmer »

From what's been said (and not said) on this forum, I'm getting the distinct impression that we won't be seeing MagnaCut in the Seki models soon/ever. Which is a crying shame for fans of Spyderco's super iconic FRN backlocks such as the Dragonfly, Delica/Salt 2, Endura/Pacific and Rescue/Atlantic.

There's lots of chat about MagnaCut in Golden models and there's even a slow trickle of stock entering the market. But for Seki models I've seen nothing other than oblique references to 'saltifying' knives like the Stretch XL. Which I take to mean using LC200N, as per the green handled Salts.

So I wondered if anyone knows if I'm reading the runes incorrectly? And if I am, then when might we see MagnaCut finally make its appearance?
JRinFL

Re: MagnaCut in Seki knives

Post by JRinFL »

At a minimum, the Seki plants will need to work through whatever non-Japanese made stainless steels that have already been shipped over there and for US demand to decline and/or supply to improve before we see MC from Japan. I am just speculating, of course.

It sure seems like it would be perfect fit for so many Japanese made Spydercos.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cjk

Post by cjk »

I agree that it will be cool in a lot of Seki models. Let's all be cool and patient. I'm sure it will happen someday, but Rome wasn't built in a day.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Wouldn't the factory have to be trained on how to heat treat the steel? I assume that Golden has settled on a protocol it likes. Not sure how information dissemination happens, but this might also be a part of the delay.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:26 pm
At a minimum, the Seki plants will need to work through whatever non-Japanese made stainless steels that have already been shipped over there and for US demand to decline and/or supply to improve before we see MC from Japan. I am just speculating, of course.

It sure seems like it would be perfect fit for so many Japanese made Spydercos.
I hear what you say. But I was working on the assumption that H1 is dead and buried now and, knowing LC200N and MagnaCut were coming on stream, they wouldn't be sat on a big stock of H2 destined for plain edge blades.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Farmer wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:58 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:26 pm
I hear what you say. But I was working on the assumption that H1 is dead and buried now and, knowing LC200N and MagnaCut were coming on stream, they wouldn't be sat on a big stock of H2 destined for plain edge blades.

Well, but there is H2 now...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

I'm sure MC will get to Seki.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Thats what I want to hear!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Interesting. I wonder if it will phase out LC200N on Seki models. Could the Seki made salt series support three different steels?

Just kind of thinking out loud but ever since Magnacut was officially designated as a Salt series steel by Spyderco, I’ve held the belief that they will need to carefully consider which knives use Magnacut. That said, a Delica in Magnacut would be iconic but it might not be possible because it’s not a Salt series knife. Of course, Salt 2 is the obvious alternative but that doesn't quite have the same prestige as “Delica 4 Magnacut.”
-Nick :bug-red
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mushroom,

We always try to please our customers.

sal
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

sal wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:06 pm

sal
Great news, thanks for confirming Sal.

A PE Salt 2 in MagnaCut would make a fantastic general purpose folder.

I also think a Stretch XL in MC will be ideal for fishing off the beach or boat.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:22 pm
Interesting. I wonder if it will phase out LC200N on Seki models. Could the Seki made salt series support three different steels?

Just kind of thinking out loud but ever since Magnacut was officially designated as a Salt series steel by Spyderco, I’ve held the belief that they will need to carefully consider which knives use Magnacut. That said, a Delica in Magnacut would be iconic but it might not be possible because it’s not a Salt series knife. Of course, Salt 2 is the obvious alternative but that doesn't quite have the same prestige as “Delica 4 Magnacut.”
My guess is the presence of non rust-proof steel liners might make it less likely in the Delica?
Matus

Post by Matus »

sal wrote:

sal
From Seki to Taiwan it is just about 4 hours. Just saying :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
tangent

Post by tangent »

sal wrote:

sal
The best thing I’ve heard from Sal in a while. :smlling-eyes

Magnacut doesn’t seem to have any downsides… would love to get PAC SALTS in this steel.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Farmer wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:03 am
Mushroom wrote:

My guess is the presence of non rust-proof steel liners might make it less likely in the Delica?
Thats what I'm thinking too but it’s difficult to say for sure. I’m convinced that a Spyderco “anything” would have buyers in Magnacut but im not sure that its destined for anywhere else but the Salt Series. So far, Salt Series steels have only ever been used on Salt Series knives. I feel like Magnacut has the same fate.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:02 am
Farmer wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Thats what I'm thinking too but it’s difficult to say for sure. I’m convinced that a Spyderco “anything” would have buyers in Magnacut but im not sure that its destined for anywhere else but the Salt Series. So far, Salt Series steels have only ever been used on Salt Series knives. I feel like Magnacut has the same fate.
Was the original Warrior a salt series? I know it used H1, but don’t think it was actually a salt model. H1 was used for its differential hardness capability, not necessarily for corrosion resistance. But that’s the only exception I can think of.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Seems like it wouldn't be much of a 'stretch' to get a Salt Stretch XL in MC. mostly an FRN color change and blade steel upgrade. No liners to worry about.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

PStone wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:30 am
Mushroom wrote:
Farmer wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Was the original Warrior a salt series? I know it used H1, but don’t think it was actually a salt model. H1 was used for its differential hardness capability, not necessarily for corrosion resistance. But that’s the only exception I can think of.
I think you're correct, I don't believe it was sold or marketed as a Salt Series knife. That being said, its a full tang H1 fixed blade with FRN scales, so it could probably be considered part of the salt series based on the build alone. Depending on what material the guard and pins are made from, it could probably fit in as part of the Salt Series.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Mushroom wrote:
Maybe I jumping to conclusions here, but to me LC and Hx doesn't quite make as much sense in non-salt knives.
With MC they (Larrin) didn't make any trade offs to reach that level of corrosion resistance, so it makes sense as a well balanced steel for a wide range of use. Not only highly corrosive applications.
As you touch on, there is also the current hype surrounding this steel that I don't think LC or H1 has ever enjoyed. So even knives that don't really need MC or take full advantage of it, it will probably sell better because of it. Who doesn't want to get on that money train? Especially when there is no real down side.
IMO the upcoming Leatherman with a knife blade in MC is very much in this category. In a tool that otherwise is known to rust quite easily, I would be just as happy or even happier with a tool steel or semi-stainless steel that has corrosion resistance on balance with the rest of the tool. But MC has a name recognition that AEB-L, 14C28N, Cru-wear or Rex 45 doesn't enjoy.

Maybe Spyderco will choose to make MC a steel exclusive to Salt knives as to simplify the marketing message and avoid confusion. There is a case to be made for that, but it will be a tough decision to make for a steel that seems to be in such high demand.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Great to hear that Seki Spydercos will have magnacut options in the future. Love my LC200N Salts but I am excited to try this new steel in Salt models or the Delica/Endura- either way I am happy.