Bring back this grind on the Native.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Re: Bring back this grind on the Native.

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Would be cool if the grind came back for a sprint in 440V with an updated heat treatment.
cjk

Post by cjk »

I think that grind looks cool, but I'm sure it went away for a reason?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It went away due to the incessant shouting of the full flat mafia/tactical steak knife contingent. And probably somewhat due to grinding costs.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:37 am
It went away due to the incessant shouting of the full flat mafia/tactical steak knife contingent. And probably somewhat due to grinding costs.

Hey buddy I represent...er resent that comment 🤣
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

JRinFL wrote:
Which seemed like a reaction to the tactical sharpened shovel/brick thick cutting trowel
DavidNM

Post by DavidNM »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:52 pm
The one and only Native 5 version sort of like that (obviously not the stock scales!):

That is a great photo! Very nice looking Spydercos.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I like the aesthetics of the swedge but that's going to cut worse than a FFG, so it wouldn't be useful for someone like me. I wouldn't mind seeing more knives with the dragonfly style mini-swedge though.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Why? (bring back the swedge-dagger/spear grind?) For looks? For the purpose of piercing? Piercing would seem to be the one function where the dagger/spear grind would excel. Certainly it would mean a more delicate tip, all other things held constant.

Or am I missing something?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:59 pm
Why? (bring back the swedge-dagger/spear grind?) For looks? For the purpose of piercing? Piercing would seem to be the one function where the dagger/spear grind would excel. Certainly it would mean a more delicate tip, all other things held constant.

Or am I missing something?
i find the grind on the native to be just slightly too thick for my preferences. a hollow grind would remedy that problem and i happen to think it looks much cooler on top of that.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I always wanted a native 1 because of that blade. Never bought it because my eye always fell on more expensive spydies. Then one day poof they where gone and i missed the opportunity.
So i also hope they return this blade profile to the line up.
It will probably be native 5 nr 6052 in the catalog but **** if they can produce that many versions already what is one extra right? :squinting-tongue
vivi

Post by vivi »

How many of ya'll remember walking into walmart and dropping a whopping $40 and change to own a Native 1 in S30V? It's one of my earliest Spyderco purchases.
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Well i have 2 of them and i have to say it is thinner behind the edge when new but after a reprofiling and a couple of sharpening the Native 5 becomes the thinnest one 😉.

The Native 2 however has a thinner blade stock and a similar grind. I shouldnt have sold mine !

I have a Native 3 but thz Vg-10 blade seems ro have the same grind as the Native 1.

The CPM-154/S90V N5 is my holy grail. Ive been after one for very long. After that I think my collection will be complete until new models drops (and some oldies i might find along the way are welcomed of course)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:47 am
How many of ya'll remember walking into walmart and dropping a whopping $40 and change to own a Native 1 in S30V? It's one of my earliest Spyderco purchases.

Was my first. Then I did the obvious next step and researched it to death and overthinked it and came to the conclusion that Walmart was selling knockoffs because their version didn't have a bug on the blade, so I returned it and went to Bass Pro Shop and paid about $90 or something after tax. The Walmart version was also plain edge and the research I did included the info Spyderco used to have about serrations and it really sold the idea to me, so the replacement was SE. I still have it too, carried it for about 5 years before buying my 2nd Spyderco, a Delica, when I joined this forum.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:10 am
JRinFL wrote:
Which seemed like a reaction to the tactical sharpened shovel/brick thick cutting trowel
Like so much in life, we choose either/or and lose the subtleties. For me, I’d like to see the old grind in thinner stock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I wasn't a Spyderco enthusiast when these were readily available. So if someone could be so kind as to highlight the pro's and cons of the is grind I'd be very appreciative. So far what I'm hearing is appearance and nostalgia driving the request. With possibly stronger tip coming in a distant third. Although I've never been worried about the robustness of the tip on the FFG N5.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

vivi wrote:
Original Natives are the best. Better ergos than the Native 5. The hollow grind isn’t as popular the days but for most things I ever did with mine it’s ideal. My only complaint ever was the clip. It caught on everything. There was an hourglass clip on some at the end of the run I think, I wouldn’t mind finding a replacement clip for my Natives.

I’ve owned two FRN Native 5’s and if I’m honest I think Spyderco catered more to cosmetics with that gen than anything else. They look amazing but the sharp edges of the handles and the scale texture are not comfortable to me. I will concede the lockback is more refined. I hope the next gen gets closer to the Chaparall FRN handle design.
Brant

Post by Brant »

I agree, the older Natives that had this grind had a more distinct look, maybe do a retro sprint run with this blade style?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Yeah, not to yuck your yum, but... I'm quite happy with the FFG Native. I don't think I'd bother buying a sabre or hollow ground native.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

vivi wrote:
Never travelled overseas, but of course I remember, I was searching on line on walmart and similar, they had sometimes even less than 40 as 36 or 38 in special price!

I remember when we had on the market Native 1-2-3 many users increase the demand to have a native FFG (I guess can easily find such discussions in the forum) now we have FFG and users would be back to the grind... :hand-over-mouth

I have a native 2 as I told and is in my top 3 spyderco list personal collection, and I would not to bring back that blade but a sprint run maybe

and I guess such blade job it's more expansive in time and money for the company, this could be another reason why all the companies to survive nowadays would change their products...
AverageKCGuy

Post by AverageKCGuy »

I'm not a huge fan of the Native simply because of the lack of a thumb ramp. But I saw this thread a few weeks ago and thought to myself "I'd buy one if they brought this grind back". I really like the way it looks regardless of any lack of tip strength etc.

My uncle passed away about a year and a half ago and he was a pretty avid knife collector. Mostly limited runs by bladesmiths but he'd buy the occasional production knife if he liked it.

I was at my parents over the weekend and my dad said he had a bunch of my uncle knives and wanted my brother and I to take some. So many knives, mostly fixed blade, some completely impractical (I'm looking at you Woodmans Pal). Lo and behold, at the bottom of that box, was one of these. I snatched that thing up before my brother could even look at it.
20230424_173552.jpg