It’s time for a Police LW Salt!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a Police LW Salt?

Yes, plain edge LC200N
28%
Yes, plain edge H1
4%
Yes, serrated H1
8%
Yes, both PE and serrated
46%
No, I have no interest in a Police LW Salt
15%

Total votes: 80

Dazen

Re: It’s time for a Police LW Salt!!

Post by Dazen »

SE LC200N for me! A combo edge would be great too in a blade this long.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I'm not a member of the big hand gang, but I would still be down for a Police LW Salt. I'd much prefer FFG LC200N though over H1, but I wouldn't be opposed to SE H1 either.
--Jeremy
phaust

Post by phaust »

I'd buy one on H1 and would pass if lc200n.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Bump

Is this in the works? Is there still interest?

Any Salt steel would be fine, so long as there's a SE option (and *waved*🙏) would be my preference.
With very few exceptions, only Salt knives are on my radar nowadays. Really considering a Pacific Salt to replace my SE Wharncliffe Endura I use at work, but the (seemingly) slightly better ergos and longer blade length of the Police 4 make me want to hold out for the potential/inevitable Police Salt. Native Chief Salt would be welcomed, too... Maybe more so 🤔.
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

If it’s in Magnacut I’m in.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’m far less interested in this idea than I was when I started the thread. For me the Stretch 2 XL is everything I wanted in a Police Salt and more. And sounds like the Stretch XL is slated to get the Salt treatment no? If so, I would take that over the police salt for sure. Sometimes my tastes change when I’m presented with more options. :cheap-sunglasses
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I still wish the p4 ltwt had a lanyard hole and boye dent.
I am also waiting on a stretch xl salt.

Maybe we will get a military 2 salt?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
mongo1958

Post by mongo1958 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:48 am
Also this knife should be called the Hawaiian 5-0...
👍LOL🤣
Mongo1958
****John3:16****
:bug-red-white Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? :bug-red-white
Para 3 Dark Blue G10 S110V (First Spyderco), PM2 Black G10 S45VN, Manix 2 LW Translucent Blue BD1N, Sage 5 LW S30V, Shaman G10 S30V, Tenacious C122BK SE LW, Native 5 LW SE S35VN, P4SE K390, Delica 4SE K390, Endela SE K390, Caribbean SE LC200N, Dragonfly 2 S30V (wife's first Spydie), Autonomy 2 Black LC200N DLC SE.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The linerless Stretch XL does seem like it was obviously designed with a future Salt treatment in mind. Still think I'd rather have a Police Salt or Native Chief Salt, but maybe that's just being too picky. We're spoiled, here 🙂

I'll probably end up settling for the Pacific Salt because I'm impatient, but I am curious if a Police Salt or Native Chief Salt is in the works.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

We'll probably see both the P4 and S2XL get the salt treatment eventually, I just hope they are waiting for Magnacut over LC200n.
Accutronman

Post by Accutronman »

Who needs a Police LW Salt when there’s the OG serrated salt
IMG_5415.jpeg
IMG_5416.jpeg
embry386

Post by embry386 »

Accutronman wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:46 am
Who needs a Police LW Salt when there’s the OG serrated salt

Now that is a gorgeous classic knife. Cool piece, Accutronman ;)

As for a Police Salt -- yes, I'd buy one and sell my current Police. I like linerless and lightweight. Rustproof is nice too.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:28 am
It’s no secret that I’ve been a fan of the Pacific Salt for years. I have carried that knife through all manner of on and off water adventures and aside from one obvious choice, it is my favorite all time Spyderco. :cool: That said, I really think that I might use a Police LW Salt even more than the Pacific Salt. I usually don’t carry a folder that large for EDC but for my fishing and outdoor adventure I think the extra length would be beneficial. LC200 would be nice in PE but I would DEFINITELY still want the option of getting a serrated Police in H1.

Anybody else interested in a Police LW Salt??
This is a rather interesting comment from someone who actually has designed a folding knife for this exact purpose.
The thing that really made me pause on that sentence is a recent comment by Wartstein in another thread, where he wonders about the rationale to have that generous round off of at the back of the handle. The most obvious drawback (at least for the bear paws) is that this makes it less accommodating for larger hands.
The other, maybe less obvious, is that this round off/chamfer has the opposite geometry of the knife's blade shape (in the closed position), so it, seemingly unnecessarily, limits the length of blade that can safely go inside the handle. Or said in another way, as the handle is shaped it could fit a slightly longer sheepsfoot blade, which would have a similar geometry as the handle when closed.
Now, none of this would have picked my brain much if you where to say the Siren is made to your preferred blade length, but reading that you seem to prefer longer blades for the intended application I can't help thinking this could quite easily have been achieved, at least by a little bit. And that with just a small design change to the but end of the handle, that would even accommodate a wider range of hand sizes as a bonus.
There are certainly nuances and tradeoffs in such a design process that I don't have the competence to understand, so what I choose to label as small and/or easy changes may not be. I have nothing but respect for those involved in bringing this knife to market and I'm very pleased we got the opportunity to buy such a purpose driven design. I personally really like it. It fits my medium sized hand like a glove and that in combination with the bomb proof finger guard, high traction G10 and being a lockback Salt, makes it something quite unique that is likely to stick around in my collection even if that combination of features aren't something I require every day.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote: I’m...
aicolainen wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:43 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:28 am
... comment by Wartstein in another thread, where he wonders about the rationale to have that generous round off of at the back of the handle. .....

Glad you asked Lance, Aicolainen, I was thinking about doing so myself.

Yes, the "round off" at the backside (and downside, not "spine") of the handle is really the only design feature on the Siren I don´t fully understand.
It reduces the available grip area, despite the overall handle length would easily allow for more - and more grip area would not hurt normal hands (or even give them more options) and really big hands would get a better fit on the handle.

If the "round off" was on the spine of the handle, this would make more sense, cause there it would create a "ramp" for the hand to pass by the knife in pocket. But, since the Siren can only be carried tip up, the "round off" where it is will inevitably face away from the hand when the knife is in pocket.

That said: I think the Siren is a great design and so finally I have one on the way to me... now that it is discoed, waiting for an SE and/or FRN version won´t make much sense anymore... :worried
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bladesandbeverages

Post by bladesandbeverages »

I would love one SE LC200N if it was linerless and had a serration pattern similar to the Caribbean. What a cutter that would be.
Stas

Post by Stas »

Stretch XL and Native Chief salts would be an instant purchase for me!
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.