The Paramilitary 2 is the best knife Spyderco has ever made.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: The Paramilitary 2 is the best knife Spyderco has ever made.

Post by anycal »

Peter
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Harkwit wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:55 am
yo April fools was last week
😂
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:26 pm
elena86 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:06 pm
...It’s their most popular best seller ....
Not disagreeing, but where are we getting sales figures to back this up? Is this the case every year?

Spyderco is a privately held company, a family company, yes? Typically such companies do not release sales data or profit figures. I think the best you could estimate, is to be a major retailer such as Knife Center or Cutlery Shoppe, and watch what sells from your own stock, and make an educated guess that other retailers are selling in similar proportions. Then you could probably take an accurate guess at what the top selling models are. (You still would have no idea of profit.)

For us consumers, the best we can do is (1) watch for # of versions, variations, and years a model is in production; (2) watch which knives get the most aftermarket products, which may indicate popularity; and (3) watch the general internet chatter to get a clue as to which models get the most air time. For instance, I'm not seeing aftermarket products or chatter about the Parata, and it got disco'd rather quickly, so...

There may be other "tells" regards popularity and sales volume that are not coming to mind. If so, please post up.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Best is so subjective. Best edc? Best slicer? Best ergonomics? Best blade shape? Best lock up?

For me personally, so far and out of all the Spydercos I’ve handled, the pm2 is my favourite. There’s nothing about it that I don’t like (except when doing food prep I want a longer blade), I can use it for anything shy of abuse, and it fits my hand like it was made for it. And it’s so fun to fidget with.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Military paved the road
James Y

Post by James Y »

I love the PM2. I own 2 of them.

Admittedly, when I got my first one back in 2011, I didn't like it much. Not enough to send it back, it just felt 'meh.' It sat forlorn on a desk for 6 years. Then one day I decided to take it to work, and started to enjoy it. Now it's among my favorite designs.

"Best" is in the eye of the beholder. The PM2 is one of my favorites, but I also really like the Manix 2, Military, Delica, UKPK Salt, Pacific Salt, Para 3, Endura, Native Chief, Caribbean, etc., etc. Sometimes one or the other becomes my favorite for awhile, then it switches. For me, my favorite depends on how I feel on a given day or week (or month). I would never consider any one design to be "the best."

Jim
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The Paramilitary 2 is a fantastic Spyderco. There is no best Spyderco. There can't be one for everyone.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

pm2 is a fine knife, but it's not for me. i'd rather have almost every one of my spydies more than i'd like a pm2, which makes sense since i don't have a pm2. in fact, the only pm2 i've ever really considered buying was the blacked out wharncliffe version.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I gotta say, a 3.5" knife that's thin, stout, and lightweight all at once is pretty fantastic. I carry a PM2 most days.

Can't wait for the lightweight model.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Not sure about the best, as that's subjective, but I think it definitely has a place in the "Mount Rushmore" of knives throught its long sustained popularity. I have 6 and would probably have more if I lived in the US where I could get access to more exclusives.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I can't argue at all with the title of this thread. Even though the PM 2 is not my personal fav I will admit that it's truly a well constructed folder. I currently own 3 of the PM2 model and I love all of them.

If I were only allowed to own one Spyderco folder and the PM2 would be the only one I would be allowed to have I wouldn't object to it at all. I gifted one to a close personal friend of mine this past Christmas and he is still raving about it 3 months later.
benben

Post by benben »

I have two exclusives, the build, construction, materials, fit & finish....all top notch, very nice! Having said that I can't remember the last time I carried either one of them?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:01 pm
Discuss
Might be - but Delica is the G.O.A.T!!!
So many knives - so little funds!!!
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

I have 3 but I carry my Shaman's more often.
bladesandbeverages

Post by bladesandbeverages »

The PM2 is definitely one of the best and most popular designs. I own 3 PM2’s and 2 of the original Paramilitary’s. It is definitely one of my favorites (I have quite a few favorites). I have 60 spyderco’s in my collection. A while back one of my buddies said he wanted to buy spend some money on a really good knife to use for work and edc. I showed him my collection which included a ton of benchmades and spydercos, along with many from other companies. It for him it it came down to the manix and the PM2 and ultimately he chose the PM2 out of close to 100 or more knives. That says a lot about what it offers.

Is it the best spyderco? That totally depends on a lot of different things. Is it one of the most popular knives out there and for good reason? I would say so.
Fine Swine

Post by Fine Swine »

I understand that it's very popular, but it doesn't make my top 5 because: (1) compression lock, which I find ergonomically unpleasant, and (2) G10, as I much prefer titanium.