Help with new Dragonfly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Re: Help with new Dragonfly

Post by 40mm »

Wharncliffe arrived. It’s an awesome knife. Carried it a few days. Then reality set in. It’s cool, but it’s not my knife. Reached out to the feller to whom I sold my D’fly salt. Expressed my sorrow. He said he’d prob prefer the wharncliffe anyway. We agreed to trade. Now I have my pocket knife back. I have issues…and the best pocket knife ever.
638DCB4E-9DD3-433D-B897-7B99F0F90D7C.jpeg
F9C92A45-E696-43BD-9735-56D3FAD22BBC.jpeg
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

CasperFatone wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:11 pm
If you can find one, the OD green/TiCN Cruwear Dragonfly is my favorite. I got lucky and picked one up for cheap on Reddit knife swap, and immediately decided it would be my forever Dragonfly. For extra points here it is in a family photo with some of my other green Spydies :)

when did that green sage come out? it's the perfect color, but i've never seen it before
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

From my handful of Dragonflys, the k390 wharncliffe dominates when it comes to pocket time.
The steel probably doesn't play a big role in this, but the blade shape is perfect for a knife of this size. For my type of use, e.g. opening boxes, packaging, cutting zip ties and cable sheaths, I'm almost at the point where a hawkbill would be my best option, but that's a bit uncompromising. The wharncliffe retains some of the advantages of the hawkbill without totally giving up the ability to perform general cutting tasks.
Actually, I'd probably go all in and try a hawkbill for EDC some day. But I need PE for some of my cutting tasks and I need it to be a dragonfly-sized knife... maybe one day
40mm

Post by 40mm »

The wharncliffe seemed like a bigger knife for sure, and while I liked it….I just couldn’t. I’m back with my old buddy.
5B88F59C-DD09-48AA-9275-53BE6A0DD3D9.jpeg
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

bleasure wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:39 pm
CasperFatone wrote:
If you can find one, the OD green/TiCN Cruwear Dragonfly is my favorite. I got lucky and picked one up for cheap on Reddit knife swap, and immediately decided it would be my forever Dragonfly. For extra points here it is in a family photo with some of my other green Spydies :)

when did that green sage come out? it's the perfect color, but i've never seen it before
It’s the Blade HQ mint green M4 one, I just dyed the scales with Rit DyeMore Peacock Green. The same dye was used on the chopped Kapara in the pic, with those scales starting out as gray G10 from the DLT exclusive.
Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
northern munkey

Post by northern munkey »

Big vote from me for the G10 FG VG10, my fave dragonfly. So good it feels perfect in the hand, solid lock up and nice edc steel.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

In the market now for a Dragonfly myself. Not looking to spend a lot so the K390 does not make sense. Was thinking hard on the Zome Green VG-10 PE, Yellow (don’t want a bright color) H1 SE, or Zome Blue Super Blue (coated or not).

Any thoughts on these options? Anything new coming soon? If I could find it at the right price I would have loved the DLT Green coated Cruwear.

Thanks
Last edited by WilliamMunny on Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

I have the Zome Green VG-10 PE DF2 and love it. The color is great. If you want to tease yourself with that K390 the Crazy Good Deals Part 2 thread is showing the DF2 K390 Wharncliffe at NationalKnives.com right now. You must be logged in to see the price.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

CasperFatone wrote:

Man I love that chopped Kapara and I’m guessing you did it Casper-great job…
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:31 pm
In the market now for a Dragonfly myself. Not looking to spend a lot so the K390 does not make sense. Was thinking hard on the Zome Green VG-10 PE, Yellow (don’t want a bright color) H1 SE, or Zome Blue Super Blue (coated or not).

Any thoughts on these options? Anything new coming soon? If I could find it at the right price I would have loved the DLT Green coated Cruwear.

Thanks
All good choices. Vg10 is great stuff and super blue is awesome but the serrated salt sure is hard to beat, for me. It is easy to find when you set it down or drop it. The general public sees it as a safety color, but you cab always use RIT dye to subdue it like 40mm.

The only real answer though… is all of them!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

CasperFatone wrote:
I’d love to get my hands on one of those.

Also, sweet pic! Some great knives there, all in my favorite color!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Thanks for the help, ended up ordering the Super Blue Spirt Dragonfly, not coated. Something neat about it over the basic VG-10 versions, not that VG-10 is bad.

It was a hard choice over the H1 SE, but I did not need the yellow scales standing out when I carry it. The whole reason I got a small knife was to keep it less noticeable. But my next purchase might be an Endela K390 SE.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:26 am
Thanks for the help, ended up ordering the Super Blue Spirt Dragonfly, not coated. Something neat about it over the basic VG-10 versions, not that VG-10 is bad.

It was a hard choice over the H1 SE, but I did not need the yellow scales standing out when I carry it. The whole reason I got a small knife was to keep it less noticeable. But my next purchase might be an Endela K390 SE.
Lately, my most carried knife is a Salt Dragonfly.
It takes Rita dye really well, and it's so easy to do without the need to disassemble.
Just hot water, a reused olives jar and some RIT dye and that's all it takes.
MNOSD member 0011
SpyderCuse

Post by SpyderCuse »

40mm wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:21 am
The wharncliffe seemed like a bigger knife for sure, and while I liked it….I just couldn’t. I’m back with my old buddy.
5B88F59C-DD09-48AA-9275-53BE6A0DD3D9.jpeg
Haha dude this may sound weird but when you mentioned you only carried the se h1 dfly forever and got rid of it, I was wondering if it was you. I had seen your pics of your dyed scaled h1 before and was jealous you could be happy with just one knife. Glad you got it back!