Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KnotTheory

Re: Stretch 2 XL in grey G10 and CruWear steel!

Post by KnotTheory »

Well, mine was expensive, but so far so great. I seem to have the only one in existence where the blade isn't touching the tube with an even edge. In fact it's probably the sharpest factory edge I've gotten on a Spyderco, at least on a flat grind.

It is sublime in actual execution. It compares well to my Manix 1 in how smooth and solid the lock feels. I'm amused and impressed by how easy it is to Spydie flick open. It's no PM2/Manix but it's impressively smooth especially for a rocker bar lockback. Bonus: The size is perfect for my hand to catch the Spydiehole with my finger while depressing the lock with my thumb so it's super easy to close one handed.

Slicey, is the word.
⟨ x , y ∣ x 2 = y 3
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

KnotTheory wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:20 pm
Slicey, is the word.
The ans is the cube root of X squared.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
TCX3

Post by TCX3 »

Has it been confirmed if this will come in SpyderEdge eventually? That would be really nice.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I’m Three edges in and the tube rap seems to have resolved itself. I’m still not letting it drop shut though.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:37 pm
I’m Three edges in and the tube rap seems to have resolved itself. I’m still not letting it drop shut though.
Not an ideal solution but it's encouraging. I'll most likely remove my lanyard tube just to be safe but it sounds like sharpening might at least offer a less invasive option.
Jack
Arachnophobic Spyderco fan
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

Well, it seems USPS has lost my order for LynchNW clips (one for this knife and one for my K390 PM2). From what I can tell, it hasn't moved since it hit Spokane, WA on 1/19. I just reordered those two clips (shipped Priority this time) in stonewash w/feather... plus a long clip for the BRG FRN, ZDP-189 Stretch 2 I ordered this morning from TCS (their last one) ... I'm not addicted to Spydercos, I can stop buying anytime I want to :eye-roll . That drop point blade shape IS intriguing though, I can't wait to try it out. I'll most likely get the K390 straight spine too, might as well build the family.
Jack
Josh Couteau

Post by Josh Couteau »

Love this knife, thanks Spyderco!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:51 pm
Well, it seems USPS has lost my order for LynchNW clips (one for this knife and one for my K390 PM2). From what I can tell, it hasn't moved since it hit Spokane, WA on 1/19. I just reordered those two clips (shipped Priority this time) in stonewash w/feather... plus a long clip for the BRG FRN, ZDP-189 Stretch 2 I ordered this morning from TCS (their last one) ... I'm not addicted to Spydercos, I can stop buying anytime I want to :eye-roll . That drop point blade shape IS intriguing though, I can't wait to try it out. I'll most likely get the K390 straight spine too, might as well build the family.
The last two time I’ve ordered clips from Casey they’ve showed up late. Scanned as delivered one day, but didn’t show up until the next. I talked to my mail carrier about it, and she said the box was so small that it fell down between other packages.

Definitely worth getting priority shipping, something with insurance.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:02 am
CrustyOtter wrote:
The last two time I’ve ordered clips from Casey they’ve showed up late. Scanned as delivered one day, but didn’t show up until the next. I talked to my mail carrier about it, and she said the box was so small that it fell down between other packages.

Definitely worth getting priority shipping, something with insurance.
I'm not all that upset, hopefully they'll show up eventually and they're both plain stone washed short clips so they'll work on a ton of different models. I had considered ordering the feather option but decided against it - then you posted a pic of yours with the feather clip and I was kicking myself for not getting the upgrade, now I have them on the way. Worst case, they'll show up and I'll have two spare clips for future knives. If they don't show at all, it's a lesson to always upgrade the shipping.
Jack
z1r

Post by z1r »

I made the mistake of handling one of these today at the SFO. I was sure I'd feel it was too heavy but not the case. What an amazing knife. I couldn't swing it today but I can see myself picking one up.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Smart choice on the ZDP-189 Stretch 2. Enjoy!
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:37 pm
Received my S2 XL yesterday, overall it's a great knife: it feels much nicer in hand than my PM2, less blocky, better blade to handle proportions, edge bevels less offset from the tip of the front choil (more usable edge at the ricasso). I thought it might feel too big and unwieldy in hand but it's one of the most natural feeling folders in my small collection - I'm 5'-10", 140 lbs (sort've medium/small build).

As far as blade/laynard tube interference: there's a tiny scuff on the tube but no blade damage visible with the naked eye. At 120x I can see a small particle transfer on the bevel, it looks like brass? I'm leaving mine as is, I'm sure the first sharpening will take care of the contact issue. If it hadn't been for the reports of others, I wouldn't have noticed it at all.

There is a slight irregularity of the sharpened bevels. The non show side bevel is much narrower from the upturn to the tip: it's about half as wide as the rest of the bevel. The show side bevel seems all but perfect. Again, I'll deal with it when it's time to sharpen.

Overall impressions: I'm happy I bought this one and it'll get regular pocket time, especially when the weather gets warmer and I'm able to work outside more. In fact, I'd really like to see the smaller S2 available in this configuration (though I'd rather see both with liners, micarta scales and Cruwear, but that's just me).
Jack
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

If they ever bring out an SE option of this I don't think I could resist despite being perfectly happy with my LW SE, actually preferring lighter weight and the high price in Europe.
It is just that cool.

And I would probably pimp it with Micarta- scales eventually.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
CrustyOtter

Post by CrustyOtter »

My only LWTs are my Rex45 Native 5 and the S2 ZDP. I absolutely LOVE that Native 5 and, so far, it's the sharpest knife out of the box that I've ever bought. However... I noticed yesterday that the textured FRN has shredded the 5th pocket and the edge of my front pocket on my jeans where it's been rubbing. As much as I love the grip of my ZDP S2 and my N5 as well, I think I'll have to avoid carrying both of those to preserve my jeans. Short of making sheaths for both, I don't see any other solution. I was really looking forward to buying a Native 5 Salt in Magnacut when the PE version hit retailers, now I'm not sure what I'll do.

Back to the S2 XL: I just swapped the clip for a LynchNW stonewashed feather, adjusted and Loctited the pivot screw and applied a coat of EDCi to the blade. I think it's ready to add to my rotation. It's a little more expensive than I'd normally buy but I understand the added cost of production with this model and, considering the results, I think it's justified here. In the pocket I can't tell much size difference between this and my PM2.

edit: I'd love to add micarta scales but RippsGarageTech isn't supporting this model yet, hopefully they eventually will. I haven't contacted Cuscadi about it yet but I'm sure they'd do a fantastic job. I hate the idea of shipping it out for work but I'd probably have them patina the blade as well if I go that route. I can see this knife becoming quite the money pit if I go that route but, oh the possibilities!
Jack
mehhhhhhhh

Post by mehhhhhhhh »

I’m really tempted. Has anyone purchased from white mountain knives with no contact between the blade and lanyard tube issues? Or is it just luck of the draw?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

CrustyOtter wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:55 am
My only LWTs are my Rex45 Native 5 and the S2 ZDP. I absolutely LOVE that Native 5 and, so far, it's the sharpest knife out of the box that I've ever bought. However... I noticed yesterday that the textured FRN has shredded the 5th pocket and the edge of my front pocket on my jeans where it's been rubbing. As much as I love the grip of my ZDP S2 and my N5 as well, I think I'll have to avoid carrying both of those to preserve my jeans. Short of making sheaths for both, I don't see any other solution. I was really looking forward to buying a Native 5 Salt in Magnacut when the PE version hit retailers, now I'm not sure what I'll do.

Back to the S2 XL: I just swapped the clip for a LynchNW stonewashed feather, adjusted and Loctited the pivot screw and applied a coat of EDCi to the blade. I think it's ready to add to my rotation. It's a little more expensive than I'd normally buy but I understand the added cost of production with this model and, considering the results, I think it's justified here. In the pocket I can't tell much size difference between this and my PM2.

edit: I'd love to add micarta scales but RippsGarageTech isn't supporting this model yet, hopefully they eventually will. I haven't contacted Cuscadi about it yet but I'm sure they'd do a fantastic job. I hate the idea of shipping it out for work but I'd probably have them patina the blade as well if I go that route. I can see this knife becoming quite the money pit if I go that route but, oh the possibilities!
I would love to go Micarta too as others . I have also contacted Ripps . One thing to keep in mind the S2 XL is a one trick pony compared to other models for example : PM2 or Shaman , so development will be a wait and see . RC Bladeworks is another possibility since they do some models not normally seen elsewhere like the Crucarta . Really it is a wait and see . I recently got a Lynch feather for my Shaman great choice , simple and understated . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

mehhhhhhhh wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:39 pm
I’m really tempted. Has anyone purchased from white mountain knives with no contact between the blade and lanyard tube issues? Or is it just luck of the draw?

Luck. You can always just remove the tube. I have and it is fine now.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:07 pm
mehhhhhhhh wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:39 pm

Luck. You can always just remove the tube. I have and it is fine now.
Same, no worries at all after removing the tube.

It does seem to be luck of the draw, fwiw.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Or you can just sharpen it a few times.

Doesn’t seem to take much more than that.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

Mine wasn't touching, but it was very close. I had it apart so I took the lanyard tube out anyway. Much cleaner lines inside now. If you take the tube out sand the inside edges of the liner holes a bit in case you ever want to use a lanyard. Also smooth down those sharp liner edges while it's apart. It's a wonderful knife and I would buy it again, esp. an SE.