which is your ergonomic masterpiece?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: which is your ergonomic masterpiece?

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:39 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:25 pm
This is a really broad based question that could render many different answers. Because so many of Spyderco's folders and fixed blades are ergonomic wonders. That is one of the great selling points with so many Spyderco knives.
i agree. there are only a few spydercos i have that don't quite jive with my hands. even those are fine; just not ideal. specifically, the yojimbo doesn't really fit my hand nicely feels quite blocky and sharp on the finger bumps, but i still love the knife for it's design and purpose, so i carry it occasionally anyway.
Well LB I couldn't agree with you more. However I am sort of surprised that you didn't at least give the recent C-60 Ayoob Sprint run an honorable mention because I do know for a fact that you do indeed like that bad boy>> or at least you've given us clues that you do.

You're not kidding about the Yojimbo model because it also fits me like a glove as well. I've yet to like anything better than the original Yojimbo from back in the early 2000s at the beginning of the S30V era. Michael Janich is truly an unsung hero in knife designs as well as Sal Glesser himself. Spyderco has so many IN HOUSE designs that could stand up against anyone else's designs IMO. This is a most interesting thread to be sure.

The JD Smith fits my hand nearly perfect>> and so does the original TEMPERANCE 1 model.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

ladybug93 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
This is a really broad based question that could render many different answers. Because so many of Spyderco's folders and fixed blades are ergonomic wonders. That is one of the great selling points with so many Spyderco knives.
i agree. there are only a few spydercos i have that don't quite jive with my hands. even those are fine; just not ideal. specifically, the yojimbo doesn't really fit my hand nicely feels quite blocky and sharp on the finger bumps, but i still love the knife for it's design and purpose, so i carry it occasionally anyway.
I've noticed the blocky feeling on a couple of the G10 models. It bothers me the most on the lil' native. I think it's mostly that the handle is thick with fairly minimal chamfering. I wish everything would get the same sort of chamfering they put on the Ayoob.
Bk.Obamah

Post by Bk.Obamah »

I'm a Huge fan of the Lil Native. The majority of my quarry comes from (the) Amazon, so im mostly doing light duty precision cuts.

The gentle unbroken radius along the spine cants the tip slightly downward and the pointer finger naturally rides the spine enhancing precision and depth control. The slight belly in the blade makes cutting in a flat surface and Push cutting easier. It's a joy for light duty tasks.

Switching to the full 4 finger grip with the pointer in the forward choil and the thumb on the spine Allows you to do heavier more repetitive work like breaking down Heavy cardboard like Appliance and Furniture boxes. Oh yeah and that thin Blade Stock with the Spyderco Heat treat just slides through even heavy Cardboard.

Most knives feel great in one position or the other, The lil Native feels equally at home in either situation. Plus there's something cool about doing a "Big" task with a little knife 😁.I have alot of knives but there's not a whole lot that you can't do with a lil Native.

P.S. I'm still hoping they make s Compression lock Native 5.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:37 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
Well LB I couldn't agree with you more. However I am sort of surprised that you didn't at least give the recent C-60 Ayoob Sprint run an honorable mention because I do know for a fact that you do indeed like that bad boy>> or at least you've given us clues that you do.

You're not kidding about the Yojimbo model because it also fits me like a glove as well. I've yet to like anything better than the original Yojimbo from back in the early 2000s at the beginning of the S30V era. Michael Janich is truly an unsung hero in knife designs as well as Sal Glesser himself. Spyderco has so many IN HOUSE designs that could stand up against anyone else's designs IMO. This is a most interesting thread to be sure.

The JD Smith fits my hand nearly perfect>> and so does the original TEMPERANCE 1 model.
the ayoob is quite comfortable in hand, despite its very svelte design. none of my issues with the model have to do with ergonomics.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vandelay wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:00 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
I've noticed the blocky feeling on a couple of the G10 models. It bothers me the most on the lil' native. I think it's mostly that the handle is thick with fairly minimal chamfering. I wish everything would get the same sort of chamfering they put on the Ayoob.
some sand paper and some patience and you could have your wish.

as blocky as the yo2 is, i wouldn't want to knock it down. the harsher points are part of the overall look. it's always reminded me of what you'd get if a orphaned samurai that became a dark knight to rid japan of its criminal underworld broke his sword and repurposed it into a folding knife. basically a cross between a batarang and a broken katana.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ikaretababy

Post by ikaretababy »

The bushcraft/proficient and the Bill Moran are masterpieces. Handle design of fixed blades is a "solved" problem as far as I'm concerned. One of these two designs is optimal for any similarly sized knife.