Spyderco Rhino Grande please!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Spyderco Rhino Grande please!!

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:15 am
I love the Bolster too. ...

Lots of love for our Bolster here.. :winking-tongue

... but he certainly deserves it, after all he put a ton of work for us in the forum knife survey...;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

wrdwrght wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:53 am

Thanks for the bump, Marc. The Grande was a fun project for sure. I hope to make a few more, if time allows. On a side note, that Chinook is an incredible knife. I've always loved that design. I kick myself now for not acquiring one back when they were still plentiful.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:53 pm
Mick wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:42 pm
A pic of the Grande from Mr. Rheinhold's site. Great looking blade but if Spyderco does the grande, I hope they do away with the bolster and use a solid CF/Laminte for the scales.

Imagez
I really like the Rhino Grande, but I'm also long-time a collector of fine 22 rifles, so that little Belgium Browning SA-22 Grade II looks fabulous 😁

You've got a keen eye, Sharp Guy! That is indeed what it is. This one was made in 1976 and has never been fired. We have another SA-22 (a plain-Jane Grade I) that my wife uses for squirrel hunting. It's a ton of fun for plinking and is surprisingly comfortable, even for a bigger guy like me. ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:31 am
Forum member "Spydernut" - more importantly "also" knife maker and designer of the Rhinos - was so kind to discuss (with me and others) a lot of details about the design earlier in this thread.

For those who might not want to read across the whole thread and long, previous posts (see here viewtopic.php?p=1698135#p1616858 and here viewtopic.php?p=1698135#p1616988) some to me interesting aspects resp a summary:

- For the "Salt-Folks" out there: The second prototype of the (Spyderco) Rhino Grande is made in full TI and has an LC200N blade. So more or less a real Salt knife

- The first prototype though is more to my liking: A Ti / linen Micarta frame lock... :smirk

- One aspect of the "Grande" I really like: The seemingly pretty negative blade angle (that should also put the rather "high" trailing point "lower" when actually using the knife)

- Compared to the Chinook, which might look a bit similar at first glance: The "Grande" is still clearly smaller, and 50 % lighter

- If there´ll ever be a Spyderco Rhino Grande: I do hope they´d stick with the frame (or liner) lock

Thank you, Gernot. Those are some very good observations about the design--especially the one about the negative blade angle. I know some folks might be apprehensive about the functionality of a trailing-point blade because the tip is typically set quite a bit higher than the center line of the knife. But like you mentioned, the negative blade angle on the Grande really helps to mitigate this issue. It's hard to demonstrate this without holding the knife in hand. I wish I had a another Grande so I could pass around so that folks could see if it's something they'd be interested in.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:15 am
I love the Bolster too. Also, the maroon linen micarta. Very classy design.

I say save the CF bolster for the Brigadoon model!

Hey thanks, Jeff! I like bolsters too, especially in Ti because it helps reduce weight in the pocket. And Micarta... It's one of my favorite materials to be sure!

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mick wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:42 pm
A pic of the Grande from Mr. Rheinhold's site. Great looking blade but if Spyderco does the grande, I hope they do away with the bolster and use a solid CF/Laminte for the scales.

Imagez
The more I look at this model the more that it reminds me of Spyderco's older Chinook III model. I like these blades with a lot of "belly" on them and it would make an excellent "hunter/folder". That Chinook III was one I dearly loved but had to sell it in an emergency. And I've never gotten the chance to replace it as of yet. Actually this would be an improvement I believe. This would be a really cool collaboration model.

For what it's worth you have my full support.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Mick wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:50 pm
Here's your XL. :D

This was a Counter Puppy before the Counter Puppy was even born :thinking 💡