Spyderco Rhino Grande please!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freediver

Re: Spyderco Rhino Grande please!!

Post by Freediver »

I love the bolster.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I just came across the (already existing) Reinhold Rhino Grande (pics: See the first page of this very thread) and was about starting a thread about how nice a Spyderco version = a Rhino XL would be... then I found this thread and thought better I´d just revive it.

I really like the design of the (Spyderco collab) Rhino, but is is just too small for me.

Now while the Rhino Grande still is a rather small knife in my book, it offers at least 76 mm of blade and 73 mm of edge (like a Manix 2) in a Delica sized package (both 108 mm closed length)

Some have argued, that in a way the Chinook 4 would be a Rhino XL... but actually it is more of an XXL , a lot bigger and 50 % heavier than the Rhino Grande (and even more so than the "just" Rhino of course)

And: The Rhino Grande seems to offer even more negative blade angle than the Chinook - I like that!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:30 pm
I would like that too. The Chinook 4 would be a comparable knife, I've been looking at it since I bought the Rhino. I want to try out the Power Lock.
Just an idle thought from the cheap seats…

I had forgotten the Chinook4 had a PowerLock. That lock was one reason I held onto my Tatanka for so long. Having sold it, I might look for a Chinook4 in spite of my trailing-point aversion. And if that aversion proves much ado about nothing (I don’t mind my Dyad’s PE trailing-point), my explorations could well proceed to the Rhino, in the original or as proposed.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:26 am
I just came across the (already existing) Reinhold Rhino Grande (pics: See the first page of this very thread) and was about starting a thread about how nice a Spyderco version = a Rhino XL would be... then I found this thread and thought better I´d just revive it.

I really like the design of the (Spyderco collab) Rhino, but is is just too small for me.

Now while the Rhino Grande still is a rather small knife in my book, it offers at least 76 mm of blade and 73 mm of edge (like a Manix 2) in a Delica sized package (both 108 mm closed length)

Some have argued, that in a way the Chinook 4 would be a Rhino XL... but actually it is more of an XXL , a lot bigger and 50 % heavier than the Rhino Grande (and even more so than the "just" Rhino of course)

And: The Rhino Grande seems to offer even more negative blade angle than the Chinook - I like that!
Wartstein wrote:

Thank you for bumping this thread, Gernot. I must have missed it the first time around.

You've made some good observations on the Rhino Grande. I really appreciate your interest in the design. If I may, I’d like to share a little background on the Rhino:

The (smaller) Rhino was designed to function as a light-duty skinning knife that could double as an everyday carry piece. It was created to be a smaller knife that it could be carried loosely in the bottom of a pocket like a traditional jackknife, if preferred. After the Rhino came to market, there was an interest voiced in a larger version. I created the larger Rhino to meet the request and dubbed it the “Grande” as a nod to its larger size. The larger version is based closely off of the original design, but I added a few tweaks to accommodate the larger dimensions (including the benefit of being able to access the Round Hole ambidextrously).

I’ve spoken with Eric about the Grande and we’ve bounced around some ideas. Then Covid hit. Perhaps at some point we might still see a production version?

Here’s my second Grande prototype along with the original Rhino to show the difference in size:

As for the original Rhino, Spyderco and their team in Taichung did a spectacular job on it. I carry mine quite a bit and am very pleased with how it turned out.

-Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I love it as a ti framelock. I hope if Spyderco does ever produce it, it's done with that.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Thank you for bumping this thread, Gernot. I must have missed it the first time around.

Hey Michael,

really cool having the opportunity to actually talk to the designer of this model! :smlling-eyes

- As said: I really like your little Rhino design, it just looks very cool and has that "I see it and immediately want to try and cut with it" - thing about it.
That large amount of belly must be great in some tasks, and should make for a lot of cutting edge for the given blade length (though I have to admit: Just functionally perhaps a "lower" tip (like on a Manix) could be more useful overall for general EDC - still the trailing point blade just looks great!)

- I actually like your original design even more than the "Spyderco version": Mainly cause yours has a liner - instead of a comp.lock, and Micarta instead of CF

- The "little" / "regular"Rhino is just a bit TOO little for me

- - - - -

- So I was excited when I found out that there actually IS a bigger version already with the "Rhino Grande"!
It is still on the smaller side for my taste, but just large enough for my "general" EDC, and I think with a Manix 2 cutting edge length this will be true for many

- May I ask: Is the both-sides- TI (?) handle just for the prototype, or did you generally switch to that from one side being Micarta, like you are displaying the "Rhino Grande" is on your homepage (https://www.reinholdknives.com/current-designs)?
Honestly, I´d think the latter (Micarta and TI frame lock) is even nicer (not that "full" TI frame lock version would be bad, don´t get me wrong)

- Anyway: I really hope we´ll see a Spyderco version of the "Rhino Grande" - and that they will stick with the frame (or a liner-) lock.
Otherwise: Perhaps I should just invest in an "original" made by you one day... :smirk (You ARE shipping to Europe, I guess?)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Fantastic knife, one of my favourite and most used.
Id be all over a larger version, that grande looks amazing.
Such a handy and cool blade shape, really underrated, an underrated Spyderco all round.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:54 pm
I love it as a ti framelock. I hope if Spyderco does ever produce it, it's done with that.

I appreciate you saying that. I think it works well with the frame-lock too, but I'm probably a little biased. It's funny, but even to this day I still find myself instinctively reaching inside the scale with my thumb to disengage the non-existent Liner Lock on my smaller Rhino--only to remember that it locks from the top. ;)

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:47 am
SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:44 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Hey Michael,

really cool having the opportunity to actually talk to the designer of this model! :smlling-eyes

- As said: I really like your little Rhino design, it just looks very cool and has that "I see it and immediately want to try and cut with it" - thing about it.
That large amount of belly must be great in some tasks, and should make for a lot of cutting edge for the given blade length (though I have to admit: Just functionally perhaps a "lower" tip (like on a Manix) could be more useful overall for general EDC - still the trailing point blade just looks great!)

- I actually like your original design even more than the "Spyderco version": Mainly cause yours has a liner - instead of a comp.lock, and Micarta instead of CF

- The "little" / "regular"Rhino is just a bit TOO little for me

- - - - -

- So I was excited when I found out that there actually IS a bigger version already with the "Rhino Grande"!
It is still on the smaller side for my taste, but just large enough for my "general" EDC, and I think with a Manix 2 cutting edge length this will be true for many

- May I ask: Is the both-sides- TI (?) handle just for the prototype, or did you generally switch to that from one side being Micarta, like you are displaying the "Rhino Grande" is on your homepage (https://www.reinholdknives.com/current-designs)?
Honestly, I´d think the latter (Micarta and TI frame lock) is even nicer (not that "full" TI frame lock version would be bad, don´t get me wrong)

- Anyway: I really hope we´ll see a Spyderco version of the "Rhino Grande" - and that they will stick with the frame (or a liner-) lock.
Otherwise: Perhaps I should just invest in an "original" made by you one day... :smirk (You ARE shipping to Europe, I guess?)

Thank you, Gernot. It is my pleasure. :smiling-cheeks I agree; I think the larger version would certainly have more appeal to those with larger hands. It is a bigger knife, but yet it doesn't feel "too big" in the pocket. Because of the increased length of the blade, the height of the tip of the blade may not seem to be quite as pronounced as on the smaller version, if that makes sense? The first prototype (pictured on Page 1) is a Ti frame-lock on the lock side with a Ti bolster and burgundy linen Micarta scales on the presentation side. For the second prototype (pictured on Page 2), I decided to mix it up and make it in full-Ti with a LC200N blade to create more of a "Salt" version (or a "Salty Rhino," as it were). If it were to go into production, I'm guessing it would be made with G-10 or similar composite scales.

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Salty Dog wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:39 am
Fantastic knife, one of my favourite and most used.
Id be all over a larger version, that grande looks amazing.
Such a handy and cool blade shape, really underrated, an underrated Spyderco all round.

Thank you for the kind words, Salty Dog. Spyderco and Taichung really did a beautiful job with it. Their level of fit-and-finish and precision is really quite remarkable, especially on a smaller knife like this.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:26 am
knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:54 pm

I appreciate you saying that. I think it works well with the frame-lock too, but I'm probably a little biased. It's funny, but even to this day I still find myself instinctively reaching inside the scale with my thumb to disengage the non-existent Liner Lock on my smaller Rhino--only to remember that it locks from the top. ;)
Having just acquired a Chinook4 and rid myself of a childhood prejudice against scimitar-like trailing-points*, the Rhino and Rhino Grande now interest me, hence this bump.

*EDIT TO ADD: Actually, the Lil’Temp2 started my acceptance of the trailing point, and the Chinook4 completed it.

If the Grande is to be a framelock, I hope it will be reinforced like the Swayback so as to retard unwanted wear.

Last edited by wrdwrght on Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I can just barely get a full four finger grip on the little Rhino, so a larger version would be welcome. Maybe something the size of the 75 mm Persian 2, or slightly larger.

Also shown below in comparison with the Chinook 1 and Hundred Pacer.
trailing_points_01.jpg
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mick wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:42 pm
A pic of the Grande from Mr. Rheinhold's site. Great looking blade but if Spyderco does the grande, I hope they do away with the bolster and use a solid CF/Laminte for the scales.

Imagez
I really like the Rhino Grande, but I'm also long-time a collector of fine 22 rifles, so that little Belgium Browning SA-22 Grade II looks fabulous 😁
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Forum member "Spydernut" - more importantly "also" knife maker and designer of the Rhinos - was so kind to discuss (with me and others) a lot of details about the design earlier in this thread.

For those who might not want to read across the whole thread and long, previous posts (see here viewtopic.php?p=1698135#p1616858 and here viewtopic.php?p=1698135#p1616988) some to me interesting aspects resp a summary:

- For the "Salt-Folks" out there: The second prototype of the (Spyderco) Rhino Grande is made in full TI and has an LC200N blade. So more or less a real Salt knife

- The first prototype though is more to my liking: A Ti / linen Micarta frame lock... :smirk

- One aspect of the "Grande" I really like: The seemingly pretty negative blade angle (that should also put the rather "high" trailing point "lower" when actually using the knife)

- Compared to the Chinook, which might look a bit similar at first glance: The "Grande" is still clearly smaller, and 50 % lighter

- If there´ll ever be a Spyderco Rhino Grande: I do hope they´d stick with the frame (or liner) lock
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Freediver wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 pm
I love the bolster.

And I love you too.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:00 am
Freediver wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 pm
I love the bolster.

And I love you too.
Aww thanks. Haha it’s 5AM here and I just got a good laugh to start the day.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mick wrote:
... I hope they do away with the bolster....

You, not so much.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:05 am
Mick wrote:
... I hope they do away with the bolster....

You, not so much.

Yes, we won't let that happen, I'll fight by your side... :grin-sweat
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahaha, these last few exchanges are great!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I love the Bolster too. Also, the maroon linen micarta. Very classy design.

I say save the CF bolster for the Brigadoon model!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005