ATS-55 SPYDERCO C08SBK MERLIN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jonathanle.0321

ATS-55 SPYDERCO C08SBK MERLIN

Post by jonathanle.0321 »

Hey guys, I found one of these exemplars a few years ago on a skiing trip and noticed I have no real use for it.
I'd appreciate if someone could tell me a bit about the ATS-55 era, thanks :)
Attachments
IMG_6018.jpeg
Michael Janich

Re: ATS-55 SPYDERCO C08SBK MERLIN

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear jonathanle.0321:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum. This might be worth a read: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91111&p=1592817&hil ... 5#p1592817.

Stay safe,

Mike
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageThat is a nice find , legendary hawkbill . I still use mine . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Is this basically a non-salt Tasman? Same dimensions roughly?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Visually not too dissimilar from a FRN Harpy, I haven't looked up the specs though
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned several "Merlin" models over the years and I still own a couple of them. They are a great companion blade to use along side of your main EDC. Like one Brother just said they are for the most part an FRN version of the classic Harpy model. I think it was about 2002-2003 when they discontinued the Merlin model.

It's doubtful the ATS-55 version would have much collector value because there were so many of them made and they are still out there if you look hard enough. Now the VG-10 version of the Merlin is a different story all together. There were very few of those made by comparison and virtually impossible to find.

Just simply enjoy a nice small Hawkbill blade. They are very handy for outdoor activities.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:44 am
I've owned several "Merlin" models over the years and I still own a couple of them. They are a great companion blade to use along side of your main EDC. Like one Brother just said they are for the most part an FRN version of the classic Harpy model. I think it was about 2002-2003 when they discontinued the Merlin model.

It's doubtful the ATS-55 version would have much collector value because there were so many of them made and they are still out there if you look hard enough. Now the VG-10 version of the Merlin is a different story all together. There were very few of those made by comparison and virtually impossible to find.

Just simply enjoy a nice small Hawkbill blade. They are very handy for outdoor activities.
Hmmm …wonder where I got mine ! :thinking Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:51 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:44 am

Hmmm …wonder where I got mine ! :thinking Dan
Yeah I seem to have similar memories about a guy named "Mr. Merlin". If they did do a Sprint Run with a newer/better blade steel I would most certainly have to have one.

An incredibly handy cutting tool and very affordable as well.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

You know what would be magical a combo edge Merlin!!
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Dodge wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:48 pm
You know what would be magical a combo edge Merlin!!
Interesting!! I've had similar thoughts about a combo edged Spyderhawk as well. The TASMAN is essentially a SALT version of the Merlin. Great handy blade for ordinary cutting jobs.