Yo Sal you did good again

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Yo Sal you did good again

Post by akapennypincher »

Got new Spyderco Catalogue, it is awesome. Could not figure out how to do it better.

Awesome images.🏆
sal

Re: Yo Sal you did good again

Post by sal »

Thanx Pennypincher,

But the credit goes to Joyce, Mike and her crew. She's been creating great catalogs for Spyderco for decades.

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Good, I'm looking forward to getting the 2023 catalog ! I don't receive them, but i'll ask for one at the next Mule drop :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
akapennypincher

Photo illustration in your catalog always show lost of creativity. I fell I can say that as creating interesting images paid my bills many years.

Your people are talented, and your print did great job also.👍
pleadnotguilty

Post by pleadnotguilty »

Agreed, very creative!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

One of my favorite parts is the rock and leaf motifs in the cover textures for the LeafJumper and RockJumper.
It’s my first Catalog, of any kind, and it has so many neat things. It’s also really useful for comparisons between each knife.
I was stoked to get it with my Mule Team 2.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Can't wait for mine...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

The Spyderco catalog makes me feel like a kid again looking at the Sears catalog for Christmas.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
akapennypincher

WilliamMunny wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:36 am
The Spyderco catalog makes me feel like a kid again looking at the Sears catalog for Christmas.
Sears was better because it had hot chicks on underwear, and see through night gowns.🥳
justjohn

Post by justjohn »

I must whole-heartedly agree that the 2023 Spyderco Catalog is outstanding. This Catalog rivals the majority of my coffee table books, and that is just where it is placed.
- John

:bug-red "Spyderco"...Vēnērunt, vīdērunt, vīcērunt :bug-red
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

akapennypincher wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:09 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Sears was better because it had hot chicks on underwear, and see through night gowns.🥳

🤣😂🤣😂
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I have a vast collection of Spyderco Catalogues going back to 1994. They really started getting good around the year 2001 it seems. Yeah back in the 440V era. Not to mention several of the bulletins on Sprint Runs ect. The dealer catalogues are awesome.

It's been interesting to see Spyderco evolve into the great company they have slowly and surely become. I doubt if very many cutlery companies did as much in that time period as Spyderco has done. Not to mention the astounding progress with sharpening tools as well.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:44 am
I have a vast collection of Spyderco Catalogues going back to 1994. They really started getting good around the year 2001 it seems. Yeah back in the 440V era. Not to mention several of the bulletins on Sprint Runs ect. The dealer catalogues are awesome.

It's been interesting to see Spyderco evolve into the great company they have slowly and surely become. I doubt if very many cutlery companies did as much in that time period as Spyderco has done. Not to mention the astounding progress with sharpening tools as well.
This year’s catalog is my first, but some of my favorites that I’ve seen are the ones with the dinosaur artworks.

I’ve said it before, but those are very interesting pieces and probably hold some significance in Paleoartistic history as early examples of advertisements for a large brand (“mainstream”, if you will) that depict feathered dinosaurs in a significant way. Although, I still need to do some research!

I’ve been meaning to ask Sal for more details about the story behind those, who the artist was, and so on.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JoshLikesSekiCityKnives

Post by JoshLikesSekiCityKnives »

akapennypincher wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:09 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Those Sears catalogs of my grandmas in the early 1980's corrupted me in my childhood. :rofl
sal

Post by sal »

Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:05 am
I’ve been meaning to ask Sal for more details about the story behind those, who the artist was, and so on.

Hi Cl1ff,

Talkin' Story;

We knew we wanted to begin a line of economy models and we knew we'd have to make them in China to be able to get the price down. The artificial Yuan value, while, in my opinion, is not a level playing field, seemed like the best way to make less expensive Spyderco's as we could see the writing on the wall with costs rising. The quality of the Chinese made knives was improving and we felt we could get acceptable quality for an economy line. I must admit that the beginning was challenging and stressful, but we were eventually able to get it going.

We didn't have a name for the line. I was having a conversation on our forum about long range history and I said; "The dinosaurs that survived are called lizards". Some of our forumites, always a bright group, corrected me and said; "no, the dinosaurs that survived were called birds".

I did a bunch of research and found that theory to be current and loved the idea. I've always been into birds, so the concept seemed good to me. There is even theory now that thinks the dinosaurs were warm blooded. (Probably due to "Global warming" at the time, which made the plants big which made the dinosaurs big).

I decided to call the line "byrd" using the "Y" in byrd like the "Y" in Spyderco. The original artist was a relative of an employee and we commissioned him to create the original art. We'v added a lot since then, as there is much info on that concept now. We even made lapel pins of dinosaurs with feathers and teeth. Today, when I look at a bird, I see a miniature dinosaur.

I'm working on a "T" shirt, with one of our crew, Chappy, which will incorporate the original bird/dinosaur art. It's still off in the future.

sal
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:14 pm
Cl1ff wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:05 am

Hi Cl1ff,

Talkin' Story;

We knew we wanted to begin a line of economy models and we knew we'd have to make them in China to be able to get the price down. The artificial Yuan value, while, in my opinion, is not a level playing field, seemed like the best way to make less expensive Spyderco's as we could see the writing on the wall with costs rising. The quality of the Chinese made knives was improving and we felt we could get acceptable quality for an economy line. I must admit that the beginning was challenging and stressful, but we were eventually able to get it going.

We didn't have a name for the line. I was having a conversation on our forum about long range history and I said; "The dinosaurs that survived are called lizards". Some of our forumites, always a bright group, corrected me and said; "no, the dinosaurs that survived were called birds".

I did a bunch of research and found that theory to be current and loved the idea. I've always been into birds, so the concept seemed good to me. There is even theory now that thinks the dinosaurs were warm blooded. (Probably due to "Global warming" at the time, which made the plants big which made the dinosaurs big).

I decided to call the line "byrd" using the "Y" in byrd like the "Y" in Spyderco. The original artist was a relative of an employee and we commissioned him to create the original art. We'v added a lot since then, as there is much info on that concept now. We even made lapel pins of dinosaurs with feathers and teeth. Today, when I look at a bird, I see a miniature dinosaur.

I'm working on a "T" shirt, with one of our crew, Chappy, which will incorporate the original bird/dinosaur art. It's still off in the future.

sal
Woah, thank you for all of the cool history!
It makes me proud of those forumites back then.

I’m fairly involved with the paleontological community (it’s not unlike this forum in some places), so I had a huge smile while reading this.

I look at birds the same way and think everyone would be a little bit happier and find the world a little bit more interesting if everyone realized they were looking at dinosaurs flying around. Even if you don’t like birds, to know you’re feuding with actual dinosaurs probably makes that perspective a bit more wonderful in its own way.
Bird-like dinosaurs have been around since the Jurassic and dinosaurs “experimented” with flight in various ways from 2 feathered wings and a tail, to 4 wings (a wing on each arm and leg), and even with bat-like membranes.
Feathers themselves are now understood to likely have arisen at the very base of the dinosaur family tree, probably even before the ancestor of Dinosaurs and their closest relatives, the flying Pterosaurs. They were more simple, like downy fuzz, and served a role in controlling body temperature in Dinosaurs/Birds’ small, warm blooded, and active ancestors (like a young chick’s down or a Penguin’s waterproof insulated coat).
It was much later that feathers would become more complex structures useful for balance, display, and flight in various dinosaur lineages.

Anyway, while I could go on and on, just count me in for one of those shirts whenever they’re available!
Bk.Obamah

Post by Bk.Obamah »

justjohn wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:24 pm
I must whole-heartedly agree that the 2023 Spyderco Catalog is outstanding. This Catalog rivals the majority of my coffee table books, and that is just where it is placed.
Is there an Actual SpyderCo Coffee table book because that sounds like something I need.

I'd love to see a graphic timeline, design sketches of notable innovations , model progression/evolution, Tooling shots, Important people, Tour/shots of each factory..... and maybe a few knives.
akapennypincher

Well have no Coffee Table but did spend time going through the new catalog with Coffee n Cigar.

Everything was cool, and organized great.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Man-fascinating, felt like I was sitting in class but with no exam. Really cool stuff about the origins of Byrd by Sal, and Cl1ff-I don’t know what line of work you’re in,but if you’re not a professor you should be. Uh yes mam-I’ll have a Sal/Chappy inspired t-shirt,one of those Spyderco coffee table books BK mentioned,one Byrd Hawkbill SE,and a penny-pincher cigar to go please🤣
akapennypincher

Tee we o favorite images is one with Giraffe, and other with hanging dad ing Snake.

Curious what species Snake is.